Why IB?

this is what I don't get about the IBO! don't they have inspections?! I mean seriously they can't just leave IBschools with screwed up teachers to just keep on teaching and the students who are paying a **** load of money pay for it! with their wallets and their grades! this is our future we're tlaking about! and it's nothing to **** around with.

The thing that is annoying about IBO is that they let schools run the programme however they wish, they don't respond to (most) complaints from students nor do they correspond with students who may be the ones who genuinely knows there's things wrong with the way the school runs the programme. Which is pretty stupid because you get teachers who don't know which way is up of their syllabus. It didn't happen to me but I've seen plenty of it. Kind of puts *me* in perspective and appreciate how good I had it but it also makes me wonder how can they be so laissez-faire with a programme that is so respected all over the world.

I know there are IB teaching workshops but not all schools can afford to send their teachers to those. Sometimes I think those workshops should be compulsory for teachers with no IB experience. But really, then that would just make it harder for schools to offer IB, but I'd rather it be selective and of good quality than widely-available and **** teaching which would just make people taking the programmed and people looking in on the programme think it's bad.

Guest JustinaW

At my school we have about 10 teachers that are IB certified. Our two English teachers are phenomenal, and so is the French teacher…I’ve heard good things about the Spanish instructor, and the Theatre Arts teacher is amazing. The rest are not so good. The history teachers don’t really know what they are teaching or how to teach. My math teacher was absolutely awful…It was his third year teaching ever, and his first teaching IB. He had taken a course over the summer for a week and then he was sent to teach us…Half of us learned by just reading the math book, and we tutored the other half so they could at least pass his tests…

Last year during exams they IB did send an inspector but he wasn’t very good. He sat in the corner while we took our exam and then sent in a report telling the school that the clock was in the wrong position in the room for exam taking. He wasn’t able to evaluate the teaching skills of our instructors…

I chose IB because I’m originally from Europe and the American school system really disappointed both myself and my parents. Also, I was considering going to England for college (or France) and it seemed like a good decision. I don’t think that my school is meeting all the IB requirements but at least they are trying. (Plus our school pays for all the IB fees… and in return we are expected to be model students for the state.)

Last year during exams they IB did send an inspector but he wasn’t very good. He sat in the corner while we took our exam and then sent in a report telling the school that the clock was in the wrong position in the room for exam taking. He wasn’t able to evaluate the teaching skills of our instructors…

The exam inspector doesn't inspect the teaching. They only inspect how your school run the exams and whether it's up to IB regulations, AFAIK.

At least he sat in a corner and watched you. The teachers who invigilated my exams all had annoying habits of pacing up the aisles (and it was a very small room, we only had 7 candidates my session) and it was very annoying. Even more unnerving when they stand behind you and watch you. :lol: I remember my Physics teacher counting the number of pens on my desk when he was invigilating one of my exams. I guess it is pretty boring to be on invigilating duty. :P

Guest JustinaW

We had a teacher in the room as well, it was mostly the same person...he didn't know what he was doing he was just a hall monitor…during my French exam he sat and drank a juice box, it was very amusing, yet slightly distracting…

Guest xmarketax

I did IGCSEs and after that there was the IB at my school, as I was happy with my school, the teachers and everything and I wanted an international based certificate there was no debate ;)

For me it was between A Levels and the IB which my school offered after GCSE.

It just prefered the idea of the breadth of the IB over A Levels,

Plus there's all this talk over whether the A Levels are actually good anymore so I thought the IB would give me a good chance at getting into better universities!

Also i didnt really want to drop 12 subjects down to just 4 or 5! so i went for the IB to do 6! Mad I know.....

Guest ambr0sia

I figured I needed it for college. I'm aiming for the University of Georgia,

and word around town is that they've become real stiff in admissions.

Never figured the 'extra edge' would cost me this much.

Stress is actually causing me sickness.

Guest bennyb

if you do it in nsw the scaling is phenomenal if you get 40+ and given that more private schools in sydney do it they generally get a good number of 40+ which is like 99 + UAI so that made the ib more attractive for me i suppose. also its better than the hsc

Guest chi1201

As for me, I just wanted to challenge myself.

I think it really paid me off as I am better off than any others in regular program as I have better chance of getting admissions into universities.

Also, I get credits in univs for taking some of the HL courses..

These come almost directly from the "10 Reasons to Choose IB" - but they're actually true for me.

1. I wanted to reach an international standard of excellence.

2. I wanted to 'challenge myself'.

3. I wanted to control the direction and depth-studies of, and within, my learning.

4. I didn't want to be subject to the competition offered by the VCE - the alternate qualification.

5. I wanted to see if all this about 'mental breakdowns', 'blood in the caffeine system' and so forth was *actually true*

6. I wanted an excuse for my mental breakdowns

7. I didn't like the idea of CONSTANT SACs (School Assessed Coursework testing/projects/essays associated with the VCE)

8. I thought it was good that they moderated things...

9. I wanted to know if I could sell my soul again!

10. I was concussed.

I might also say that I was severely concussed, and wrote my subject preferences from the hospital. Hence, I was also VERY DELUSIONAL. I was trying to choose between History and Psych the day before, and wrote Economics. *confused face* I was then deciding between Chemistry and Physics. I chose Chem. Next was the decision between Physics and History and Psych and Spanish and Visual Art. Naturally, then, I put Music.

I'm pretty happy with my program now, though - I was able to change my G3 to Psych - and I am pleased to everything that I didn't get Spanish. Although it might have been fun...

Maybe I should just do the IB twice?

I had several reasons as to why I choose the IB. I remember I was 13-14 and trying to figure out what to do in my life. I knew I wanted to be a doctor but I was never happy in the national programmes that I went. So I met the IBC through the family and he told me all about it and I knew instantly that it was my thing.

I love the fact that everything is in English, that it's international, that people have different subjects, that there is a great deal of cultural diversity, that it is world-wide known programme that has university recognition, that it is judged my examinations and that I could go on and on and on talking like this. And yes, I am aware that I just wrote a grammatically incorrect sentnece.

Quickly! Call an exorcist!!! :0

LOL I'm sorry but that just made me laugh out loud. :)

no idea

Then why on EARTH are you on this website?

... an exorcist? I don't need one of them... I *am* the evil spirits!

More seriously though, the IB just suits me better than the VCE. IB is more global, in a learning sense, where VCE suits the linear learners. I am, by no means, a linear learner.

My sister is trying to decide between IB and VCE, and I just *know* that VCE is better for her. I guess that the choice makes things harder for everyone, but it's good when you just *know* (Myers-Briggs NTP, anyone?)

Maybe I should just do the IB twice?

that is exactly what I've been thinking everyday since I started my 2nd year...

by the time I figured out what subjects I wanted to do it was in the middle of the summer between my first and 2nd year :P I'm just indecisive that way :P and ever since I decided to make a huge change in my subject choices last summer, I wished I just repeated IB1 instead of continued :( I mean I graduated when I was 17! it's not like I was going to be held back a year :(