Why IB?

I haven't started IB yet but I'm sending in a application for next year. From what I've heard time management is a big thing. I have a problem with that because i procrastinate a lot and fall asleep in class so i'm probably in big trouble. My parents are hoping that the course will challenge me and from what i heard hopefully it will. I really want to do this because i love a challenge and thats why i joined late french immersion but it was too easy so now im being told to do french IB? I have a 98 overall average so i hoping this might be a little harder? some people think im weird but when school gets so boring it becomes almost painful what am i supposed to do? I'm really worried that i might be throwing myself into a program that I will fail horribly from my lack of organisation and "time management" any advice? :)

IB was a shock to me when I first started in grade 9. I thought it was an academic frenzy where all you had to do was study study study. So MYP was more stressful than it was intended to be. In grade 11 now it's much better that I've learned to balance my extra curriculars with my academics. The way I measure my success in IB is to compare it to the person I would have been if I was in regular academic. IB has made me more responsible and outgoing and I've learned to overcome my fears. I guess if i was in regular academic life would have been much different. So I can't believe I'm saying this, but Thank you IB!

Honestly, I was a pretty cocky kid when I was younger. I thought my peers were too stupid for me and that I'd meet "intellectual individuals like myself" in IB (exact words from my application essay for the pre-IB program at my high school). Needless to say, I got a bit (or rather, a giant BOULDER) of a shock after I officially became a part of the IB this year. I'm probably one of the dumbest kids in the whole grade. I don't really regret it though. I've learned humility and met some really fantastic people that I would not have otherwise met. :D The workload is hardly manageable for me because my work habits are absolutely wretched but I think I'll get by... somehow. Other procrastinators have done it, so why not me?

I wanted to try out Pre-IB to see what it was like. If I didn't like it I'd leave the program in grade 11. Also, I had to choose between that or going to the local school which I absolutely would never have gone to. The school isn't very friendly and they have alot problems (fights, bad students, etc). I've decided to take on the challenge next year. --I'm in grade 10 Pre-IB now

• 3 weeks later...
to escape from the muggles :angel:

BAHAHAHA. In all seriousness, though, that was one of the primary reasons that I chose to enrol in IB. I wanted to be surrounded by proactive and hardworking students that had no intentions of slacking off until graduation. I wanted to be in smaller classes in which teachers actually provide assistance and individual attention. I wanted to be able to work in groups and know that the other members will pull their own weight. Thus, IB seemed like an attractive option...back in Grade 9.

Now, I kind of regret not just going into regular classes. Even though I'm a relatively intelligent person (at risk of sounding boastful), IB just isn't for me. My perfectionism and sensitivity in combination with the stresses of IB has been a very lethal mixture. Blah. If it weren't for the collective synergy and determination of the students, I probably would have dropped out AGES ago.

• 2 months later...

I want to do IB firstly because A levels are so NARROW *facepalm* and IB gives you, probably, a breadth of knowledge and skills and and.. stuff :D

Secondly, because the school is a Boys' Grammar and one of the best schools in the country (well, if you believe league tables, that is), letting girls in for the first time and reallly capable (and not private)! I wish all schools were similar - everyone should have access to schools like that. I'm just lucky to have moved to this town not too long ago...

And everyone should have access to IB too!

I may be the only one here regret taking the full IB but I had an option between AP and IB.

Many people do a combination of AP and IB certificates and I should have done that since my dream is to go to the top schools in the US.

Nevertheless, my family were sort of brainwashed by the school. We were told that IB is the best program in the world and blah blah blah. Well I personally think AP has more flexibility so I could have taken classes I wanted to like Computer Science which I couldn't because of my full IB schedule.

Oh well....

Well, IB is basically the only one that is offered at my school.

AP was offered and stuff, but when IB came around, everyone was just really enthusiastic about it for some reason.

So yeah, basically, I too want to see what the fuss was about.

Hopefully, I won't regret my choice. (I haven't actually started IB 1 yet)

Why Ib, eh? Well first off it started as just a way to get into the school I wanted. I was out of the catchman area and did not want to go to the druggie school closest to me, and the other school was far too gangster for me. Then I was like, "IB? That doesn't sound too bad. I get awesome marks, shouldn't be hard." Just for thinking that I want to build a time machine and go back and beat my past self up. Like seriously beat up.

Anyways, the school doesn't do a test to get in or anything, you just sign up. So yeah, first year was like a "prep" because we go grade 10 is just normal classes, grade 11 actually starts it and we finish in chemistry. Then grade 12 is the final year. So yeah, made it through grade 10 relatively fine. Then grade 11 was like "WTF physics?!" and I scraped by with like 70% in the class. Then my stupidity showed as pretty much 3/4 of the physics class dropped to partial and I stayed in.

And then there was grade 12. It was a blur. I am sure I spent the entire year asking the exact question this is titled as, "Why IB?" Though now that it is over I don't regret it. Too much. Except for phsyics. Seriously wish I would have taken Bio HL instead of physics HL. BIG mistake there.

Anyways, that was my story of why I took IB and tuck with it. Good luck to everyone just starting IB or are partially through it. Seriously, good luck. Stick wit it.

Why Ib, eh? Well first off it started as just a way to get into the school I wanted. I was out of the catchman area and did not want to go to the druggie school closest to me, and the other school was far too gangster for me. Then I was like, "IB? That doesn't sound too bad. I get awesome marks, shouldn't be hard." Just for thinking that I want to build a time machine and go back and beat my past self up. Like seriously beat up.

Anyways, the school doesn't do a test to get in or anything, you just sign up. So yeah, first year was like a "prep" because we go grade 10 is just normal classes, grade 11 actually starts it and we finish in chemistry. Then grade 12 is the final year. So yeah, made it through grade 10 relatively fine. Then grade 11 was like "WTF physics?!" and I scraped by with like 70% in the class. Then my stupidity showed as pretty much 3/4 of the physics class dropped to partial and I stayed in.

And then there was grade 12. It was a blur. I am sure I spent the entire year asking the exact question this is titled as, "Why IB?" Though now that it is over I don't regret it. Too much. Except for phsyics. Seriously wish I would have taken Bio HL instead of physics HL. BIG mistake there.

Anyways, that was my story of why I took IB and tuck with it. Good luck to everyone just starting IB or are partially through it. Seriously, good luck. Stick wit it.

Oh, crap! ;)

I don't think I understand though, what happened in grade 10? Sounds an unusual setup?

...Cause what happens here is you finish 'year' 11, having sat terminal exams, and then move on to year 12 (sixth form/college).

• 4 weeks later...

I chose to do it, cause I know I wanna go back to Germany, and IB just seemed easier to go by if you travel a lot.

After having done it, I can also add that it just makes you a great thinker, as well as teaching you the subjects you wanna learn.

Also, very importantly, it makes you stand out, which is what you wanna do in todays job market.

I chose IB because I love the language, English. Since I was a little snowball I've dreamed to study, live and work abroad and now, UK is the option number one and I think the bilingual certificate, which I hopefully will get when finishing IB, would help me to get in some university in UK.

I also learned that in IB, there is only 6 compulsory subjects and most of those you can choose by yourself. I don't really care that you have to study your ass off and besides, I love the challenge. :D

I heard about IB from my cousin and I instantly started to love it! It sounded so great and exciting and all so I decided to choose IB. Besides, IB, like every other education program in Finland, is free!

I had a private meeting with my guidance counselor in my last year at Finnish comprehensive school and she told me about International Baccalaureate school in Kuopio (A major city, 70 km to north from my hometown). I wasn't really excited about it at first, but when I found out some facts about this school it seemed to be a nice place. Especialle the hexagon system looked awesome, because I could choose subjects that are interesting to me and study them deeply.

Studying in a good university in the UK has been my dream so I thought that going to the UK would be easier via IB. Of course IB is a bit harder than "normal" Finnish highschools but that's not problem. I have always been OK with studying and I have enjoyed it. So I told about the IB to my cousin (Zibblay XD ) and we're starting pre-dp together in next Autumn. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really have any choice TBH. I go to this school which offers the PYP, MYP and IB but we had a choice between the GED (high school diploma) and of course, the IB diploma. My IBC and guidance counselor recommended me for the IB so I'm doing it starting this fall.

• 2 months later...

Because it is said to be the most rigorous program you can take (heard it from multiple college admissions persons) and it was that or leave my school to do an unrecognised easier program where i had to limit my choice of subjects. I wanted to do a number of subjects from different areas and IB offered that (though not a fan of the second language section) and I love the TOK aspect. It's challenging but right now i'm aiming high and enjoying the challenge.....even decided to try out 4 HL subjects. :D

• 6 months later...

One day my mother passed me a newspaper containig an ad for IB. Something she had done before with diffrent universities. It imiedeatly caught my attention. I went to the information meeting and was imideatly hooked.

The norwegian school system is really weak academically. And daft people who only are in the class room because the have to are all to common. And thats how all my spanish lessons are. I shudder just thinking about them. To be fair all my other classes are relatively good.

Im the kind of person who will allways pick the hardest alternative, knowing that i wouldn't be content with a mediocre university and the craving for an enviorment with smart people who actually want to be there made the choice a given.

I want to study abroad aswell, and the Norwegian diploma just won't do it. Many years of my education i have done no homework at all and still got top notch grades. Hopfully IB will teach me to do homework.

I haven't started jet, but right now im just really looking forward to it. Reading around the forum has just made me even more hyped on going. It means i have to use 2 hours every day by train just to reach the school is just pluss.

Edited by Guest