English B paper 1 and 2 HL

mm8888

I remember this one question about Tanisha (?) being ... during Christmas with family. And I thought the answers about her being 'bored' were misleading - cause she was bored 'now'. And I wasn't sure about what 'dismal' means. I associated it with sth like 'sad' etc., but then no answer matched, so I thought maybe if 'mal' is 'bad' and 'dis' is used is to negate than 'dismal' will be good ;x, so I went with 'cheerful' which was, obviously, wrong.

As to Paper 2 - I enjoyed writing, especially Section A. I know I can show off with some sophisticated language and I kind of did, but I'm not sure how well I managed to get the 'message' :D.

I choose 'debate speech' (high five Gaby)

Oh, and I disagreed - just to show my critical thinking, cause generally I'm not patriotic at all ;x.

Edited by lilianna009

me too! I like speeches and it was the only sensible topic ;d but I'm not good at sticking to the topic so they might as well take some points for this.. I wrote quite a lot about acceptance in a society in general, probably because I was revising social identity theory the day before :lol: and then I was like "what was I supposed to write about?" That often happens to me, that's why I'm not sure how it went, but eventually I tried to conclude with something related to the topic XD

I'm also a bit worried that I might have written like 10 words above the limit in both sections, hope nobody is gonna count it...

As for Tanisha, I was also thinking about 'dismal' but then I found another sentence when it said that it was dull back home (don't remember it exactly) and I decided to go for bored ;d

Edited by maereth

I wrote above the limit too, just a bit. They won't count, I'm pretty sure. My speech was very... speechy. lol I just tried to think what I'd say if I came about delivering something like this, and went with the flow. It'd have been much better if there hadn't been this damn word limit...

One thing - if somebody knew well how to write brochure (?) and studied Health psychology option, the question about stress - causes, effects blah blah could be just writing Psychology answer in the right form. Anybody noticed? ;p

I knew how to write a brochure but I didn't study Health Psych nor did I like the topic generally. I'm stressed enough, I don't feel like writing about it. lol

One thing - if somebody knew well how to write brochure (?) and studied Health psychology option, the question about stress - causes, effects blah blah could be just writing Psychology answer in the right form. Anybody noticed? ;p

yeah, I considered that, although I didn't do health psychology but we talked about stress. But this pamphlet thing kind of scared me 'cause I didn't know how it should look like, I mean if it wast just text, 250 words would be like a boring article so design should be considered, which I am not an expert in XD

speaking of psychology, I should be revising now but procrastination here feels so much better...

I did the pamphelt in P2, Talk about stress was easy for me haha

I section B was kind of hard for me but I really think it was an easy exam.

P1 was kind of easy too, thank god I finished it before the time, I was really nervous about not finishing the exam in the 1h30
Text C questions were pretty hard, specially those true or false.

Anyone noticed the racist question in Text D? lol! I really didnt know how to answer! I just put that Tanisha's colour was black XD

I wrote that she was not white, cause she may well have been Asian or Hindu, making her not white, but not black either.

I think that both answers (not white and black) should be accepted because in the beginning of the text there was something about 'a group of students, both white and black' that made a lot of people in my class think that she must be black.

I wrote a proposal in P2 section A and some blahblah about volunteering vs donating in section B :P

I most probably exceeded the word limit but I really didnt have time to count the words! I finished it a minute before the end because I paid too much attention to the layout of my proposal (I wanted all headings, bullet points etc look perfect :P).

Hm, although I made 5/6 mistakes in P1 and put in 2 strange phrases in my proposal I am still hoping for a very weak 7.

Do you guys think that grade boundaries may go down because we are the first after the reform?

I had to take another answer booklet for P2 because somehow my writing went from left to the right and it looked terrible... Because of that I finished like a minute or so before time. It wasn't that bad I guess... Wrote an opening speech, really liked its topic. Guess the worst is still to come, 13-17 for me... :(

I did the pamphlet too! I don't study Health psychology, but I still studied a little about stress in the main psychology block (the effect of the cortisol hormone), and, like Pedro, talking about stress wasn't a problem for me either :P But I took a risk cause I wasn't sure what a pamphlet was! I assumed it was a brochure and crossed my fingers cause no other subject inspired me :P I was very lucky, it could have been something totally different XD ("risk takers", you know ;) )

And for the personal response, what did you say and in what form? I'm always confused about that section B...

Do you guys think that grade boundaries may go down because we are the first after the reform?

I hope so! That's what my teacher thinks is gonna happen... We'll see! ^^

Edited by Floflow

About that question 'pretty nice for a white guy'. Thanks to it I had

playing in my head all over ;_;

Hahahaha did exactly the same thing! it was stuck in my head for the rest of the exam...

I was wondering what you guys answered on the last text, about the Nigerian culture, did they start a conversation about a personal matter or was it something else? That was really the only one I struggled with so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

yeah it was a starting a conversation with a personal matter. I tihink in the text it said something about them asking about your family or something like that, but either way im 99% sure it is that one.

For paper 2 i did a proposal and acted as if i am the sports club team coach and talked with the manager saying that i know we want to reach a more proffesional level and that we are trying to play in the regional competitions, and also acted as if i am writing this because of a recent event of vandalism in our locker rooms. So i said that a uniform would bond us with our players and create a more proffesional look and also an idea of unity and respect which would lead to avoiding incidents such as vandalism and violence and also help us reach a more profesional level

for part B i did an Article with the title Media vs ''Name?'' so that i created a catchy title for people to think that that woman is being insulted by media. Basically i analyzed parts of the text and especially that woman's statement (name?) saying that she uses a lot of emotion such as repeating and creating a rythm in her words un-loved un-cared for un-something else and also that se uses a word twice i think it was greater. And yeah basically i started comparing how modern day media clasifies human needs based on money and is more materialistic while the woman is a lot more influenced by her feelings and experiences and that she sees the true needs of people. and i started talking about world love and stuff like that all strictly conneceted though.

P1 was for me just another P1, texts weren't difficult except that thing about Tanisha. God, I think that all students around the world discussed about that :D

P2 I chose health, also hoped it is something like leaflet and it is, yayyy. Maybe I went a little bit over the limit. Just to ask, do we have to indicate the exact word count? I totally forgot to, I hope it is not a problem.