What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

FILLING OUT THOSE FORMS ARE SO ANNOYING!!!

But anyway my CAS hours are completed and done so by:

Creative:

Designing the Drama studio for different play productions (10hrs)

Cooking during a school trip (5hrs)

Choir (35hrs)

Action:

Football (soccer) (35hrs)

Hockey (35hrs)

Badminton (10hrs)

Service:

Helping out at different school fairs (10hrs)

Helping out at an Orphange in Bangkok, Thailand (20hrs)

Helping out at the Summer School (at my school) (30hrs)

Helping out construct the School's Anniversary (35hrs)

There were many other smaller activities which did, but only obtained 1-4 hours and those are not worth writing down about!!

Hopefully this can help those who dont know what to do about CAS!!

Hi, I'm worried about my CAS, because I haven't recorded the very little I have done.

I wanted to know if I can do CAS in different random ways.

Like if I make a new meal and recipe for my family each week, would that count? Creativity?

And also some easy at home suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You can do anything for CAS but to make it valid, you must have an advisor. I don't think any work at home can be counted as CAS.

I suggest you to involve in volunteering works like in old folks home or blood donations. And dont forget to ask for feedback letter as prove. This will count under service.

As for creative, any meeting club that you involve in school can be counted as creative.

Random ideas in my head:

Creative

Does your school run a play? Ask if you could do something for that. Tons of hours. And almost an unlimited number of jobs (set design, light design, stage management, selling tickets, making posters, etc.)

Service

Any clubs at school, like an outreach club that raise money for different charities? The great thing about clubs like that is that you can get Creative and Service hours (depending on your CAS Advisor), because you're providing service but also creatively thinking about how you can do it! Think up some event to run (like selling ribbons for AIDS).

Waiting for my brain to conjure up more.

Well some creative things you could do for easy CAS:

- make a poster for a club at school

- learn to dance?

- join/create a club at school

- join a group outside of school

For service, I volunteered at numerous cancer walks, as well as elder homes and food banks.

And for action,

- join a sports team or intramural at school

- join a gym to improve fitness

Babysit kids for no money. Service.

Go pick apples/pears/fruit and donate them to a food shelter. I did this last year, it's service too. Or do a food drive in school.

Organize a charity event together with your class or school, like a concert. Creativity if you perform. Service if you sell food and drinks.

Ask Student Council if you can help set up for prom this year, or help put up decorations for the school dance. Service. If you make the decorations, creativity.

At home, ask your parents if you can help them with their work. Last year, it took me three hours to seal and stamp all of my mother's Christmas newsletters that she was sending off to sponsors about the charity work she does with school kids.

Walk the neighbour's dog. That's close to home. Do some errands for them. Mow someone's lawn and don't ask for pay. Wash someone else's car. Idea: take as long as possible to do these things, so you get more CAS hours. You don't wanna work really hard and get 2 hours for all of it.

Join yearbook and take photos. Creativity.

i am just going to tell you what i did for CAS and see if that helps you.

for service i taught beginners skate lessons for no pay, and through my church i worked at different soup kitchens in my city.

for creativity i did art. i designed and made jewelry.

for action i went to the gym 3 days a week.

I normally ask my teacher before startiing a CAS thing, she then says whether i can get hours for it or not. I really reccommend a class trip to another place where you can earn a lot of hours. I know of a class in another school who went to Poland to help build some houses for poor people. It is a very good experience and a lot of ours can be earned.

Capa...!

I always get really amused when I hear about IB schools going abroad to get CAS hours. Obviously, it's a good chance to travel and then you have something to write on your university application. But it's not like you couldn't do something in your community and get the same hours.

Ideas you can do with little effort:

-Get a bunch of friends together, and go on a trash collecting drive around the city. Plastic bags, gloves, and you get plenty of time to chat while you work.

-Go to your local garden and help plant trees. I did this. You pick up a sapling, stick it in the ground and cover it with soil. Hey presto!

-Look up local charity events that are happening and go be an usher or something. My sister did this at a charity concert at the YMCA, and got 18 hours.

-When your school has a disco or dance for little kids, offer to help set up and be a chaperone. You set up, stand around for a few hours and watch people have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Action:

• swim team of my school which gives me 5hrs per week (so far 50hrs)
  • last term hockey team which gave 40 in total :rofl:

Service

• teach swimming on sunday which gives 1hr per week (so far 10hrs)
  • prep supervision in junior house (1 1/2 hr per week) (so far 15hrs)
  • AT (assistant teacher) for life saving (2hrs per week) (so far 20hrs)

Creativity

• play piano (1hr per week) (so far 15hrs)
  • house drama (25hrs)
  • choir (15hrs so far)
  • cookery (so far 15hrs)

So in total: 90hrs action, 45hrs service and 70hrs creativity... And I started in September... :)

For my CAS I did:

-Fitness (25 hrs)-Action

-Camping n hiking (28 hrs)-Action

-Teaching kindergarten kids for no money (40 hours plus)-creativity n service

-part time work in Scholarship foundation for no money (50 hours plus)-service

-Piano lesson n concert (30 hours plus)-creativity

-Photography (20 hours)- creativity

ps(for first year DP program students). I suggest all of you to finish CAS in the first year 'cause the second year will be full of deadlines of your IAs, EE, n TOK essay.

• 2 weeks later...
Omg wow.

Our school doesn't offer anything. All your activities - you have to find them on your own. I mean yes there are a bunch of clubs in the school but they are all made by students and not all counts as CAS either. So for service, creativity and action - it is all your responsibility. I contacted the red cross and join in an activity there and then i had to join another group in order to visit elder people. For creativity, well there was the yearly school musical which I was glad to join as it gave me about 70 hours. Action - I tried jujutsu but then the schedule didn't fit so once I got the yellow belt, I quit and simply went to the gym.

I wish things were organised here as well :) It is really hard for me to complete the cas hours because the school has so strict guidelines on what is cas, ESPECIALLY service.

that sucks!

at my school you can cook dinner and it counts as creativity :) ... i dont know what you are interested in, but for service i worked at an animal shelter ..?

• 4 weeks later...