What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

Vvi do you know of any places that would teach extra language classes or something along those lines? I live in Turku, and I know the työväenopisto has some type of classes, but if you have anything else to recommend, I would appreciate it! I've only been in Finland for about a year, and have yet to learn the systems. I'm hoping to get most of my CAS done this summer, but I have no idea where to start looking for an activity to do in my city! :)

• 1 month later...

So just for all you people out there curious of what others did for their CAS hours I suppose I will post mine and help you get ideas.

I am lame and lazy so my CAS hours were delayed in actually doing until this last December. Not that I hadn't managed to get some before that but didn't realize I could use them until later. So December, January, and February were months devoted to volunteering at my church. So I organized the entire area, helped prepare lessons and when it got slow I cleaned. Then as I was fearing I wouldn't get variety and enough hours I realized, "Hey, we did group CAS hours too!" So there was about 15 or so hours there. Then I had taken NLS course at the end of grade 11 and realized there was about 50 hours of activity right there. As well I joined the Lit Mag at my school for some creativity hours there. So in the end I managed to get all the hours. Thankfully. At teh end I was so worried I wouldn't have enough, but I actually got 170. Ha, and then I look and see people with like 3000 hours.

Oh well, that was your story of my experience with CAS hours. My advice to everybody else is to serious not wait until the end. I nearly had a heart attack when the end of January came and I only had like 100 hours. Gah!

So yes, I wish luck on getting far more than 150 hours of CAS. (:

Most of my activities were centered around dance. Not only do I take classes for a ridiculous amount of time each week, but I spend quite a bit of time assisting in younger students' dance classes. That right there covered basically all three categories.

My other activities included tutoring in math, organising a dog walk, and getting involved on the school's recycling team.

Oh! And I took part in the literary magazine with Dark Matter (and got one of my poems published...!). T'was a good time.

A good idea would be to start your own project like, organizing a music and dance production for instance. All the planning of the event and the choosing of the dances and practising them and the music and stuff will amount to your creativity hours. What I also did was designing a 'traffic awareness' project for the primary children in our school. Seeing as the school didn't provide any lessons. It gave me about 35 creativity hours and 5 action hours. Quite usefull! At our school we also had 'CAS week' where we went to poland for a week where we worked at a handicap facility.. building a fence, carrying logs, cleaning up areas covered with braches.. it was quite fun tbh.. I got 40 hours for that, which was great. Another great activity would be creating the school's yearbook. great for creativity hours!

• 4 weeks later...

Our school is new at running the IB, so the teachers tried to give as much help as possible

These are some of the activities that I have done (off the top of my head)

Creativity:

Japanese (taught by school teacher)

Running the school camp fun night (there's only 6 of us)

getting a CPR certificate

the Shakesphere Festival (set creation)

School Choir (LOTS of hours from here)

Action:

Fitness (Gym)

Team Sports (school)

Cross Country (school)

Campbelltown Walkathon

Teen Ranch

Horse Riding

Service

Leadership Program (helped run it)

Nursing Home visitation

Peer tutoring (school)

Tibooburra service trip

I had already done my Ontario Diploma required hours (40 before you graduate of what the IB would define as 'Service') before IB1, and at my school they allow you to 'double-dip'. So I could have knocked two birds with one stone... But I didn't. Lovely.

Creativity :

- I take hour-long piano lessons once a week (will tally before sending off... Hahaha estimates)

- I went to North Carolina School of the Arts's summer session (five weeks) = 90 hours (supervised)

- I'm going to Orford Music Festival for two weeks and Tuckamore Music Festival for two weeks, this summer

- I'll be on Yearbook Committee next year, but I'll probably count those toward service.

Action :

- Tai Chi once a week

- I'm wondering if biking to and from school counts as Action hours... Since the gym does, apparently.

- I'll be helping move our IB coordinator's office to the second floor. Lugging Star Trek Memorabilia.

- Bikram Yoga once in a while

- Spinning class

Service :

- Secretarial work for a few teachers

- Volunteered at Curriculum night

- Volunteered at Talent Show

- I'm starting the GSA next year at my school

- Again, might count yearbook committee for Service, since I already have all my Creativity hours and then some...

Well, I just began my CAS hours. So far this is what I'm doing/planning to do:

Service

- help out at Habitat for Humanity (build homes, help with festivals, etc)

- assist one of the local library art program leaders

- local garage sale set up and clean up

Action

- Habitat for Humanity

- badminton

Creativity

- library art program

- going to take violin lessons

I'm going to have about 7o hours done this summer with what I've already signed up for :P

I went to see a performance of Othello, and was told that I couldn't count it for creativity. Our CAS co-ordinator told me to write another scene for it, but there seems to be one major flaw with that idea, everyone dies (which she should know), so do you guys think it would be alright to write an obirtuary for Othello or another character?

Well, I just began my CAS hours. So far this is what I'm doing/planning to do:

Service

- help out at Habitat for Humanity (build homes, help with festivals, etc)

- assist one of the local library art program leaders

- local garage sale set up and clean up

Action

- Habitat for Humanity

- badminton

Creativity

- library art program

- going to take violin lessons

I'm going to have about 7o hours done this summer with what I've already signed up for :P

Hi there!

When you said that you would have 70 hours done this summer... Did you mean that you were going to do it before IB1?

because you can't start doing CAS before entering the IB Programme.

Hi there!

When you said that you would have 70 hours done this summer... Did you mean that you were going to do it before IB1?

because you can't start doing CAS before entering the IB Programme.

Depends where you live, which school you attend and what your CAS coordinator is like. They make up their own rules, these people! :P

Though I'm not entirely done yet, most of my CAS comes from the theatre.

For my creative hours I counted a minor role I played in our annual Madrigal and then the leading lady in Bye Bye Birdie. Those two together knocked out creativity.

Then for action I volunteered at the community theater and was apart of running crew for Thoroughly Modern Millie and helped out with strike.

Now I just have service to complete.

• 2 weeks later...

At my school, there is no way possible you can't finish CAS because your tutors supervise you and there is also a CAS co-ordinator.

For creativity, i take piano lessons and i am a member of Link Group. I tried MUN, it wasn't for me

For action, i play basketball, netball, soccer and a bunch of other sports.

For service, its part of our school timetable and i do a reading projectt where i work with a group of kids in grade 4

• 3 weeks later...

In conclusion, you can do CAS activities on your own, but you need a supervisor (who doesn't always have to be with you when you are doing your CAS activities.)

Can my supervisor be my mum?

Aboo is right, but my CAS coordinator only frowns on supervisors who aren't adults or who are family members, and he allows them to supervise only if there's seriously no one else and if this isn't the case for more than one activity. Your CAS coordinator may be lenient or he/she may not be. Ask.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

For most of my Action hours, I'm the captain of my school's robotics team and most competitions are at least 10 hours, but there's the occasional out of town competition. In one of those I got 40+ hours because of all of the paperwork I had to do on top of the actual building time, practicing, and the actual competition.

I don't have very many Creativity hours but I've gotten a few for cross-stitching.

For my Service hours, I do a lot of public speaking about robotics in our community, beta-read for online writing communities, and do some volunteer work at a nearby engineering company.

• 2 weeks later...

Creativity : Learning German, Drama, CAS music (wednesday afternoons once every two weeks), College Magazine

Action : Swimming and hopefully basketball and rugby

Service : Volounteer work at the hospital, Amnesty International, I'm teaching Russian (although I would like to swap this to creativity)

• 2 months later...

I have more than 90 hours already :sadnod:

Finished

Salsa dance course + salsa parties and dancing nights

Helping a friend organize a poetry night.

Writing a short story for the same.

Making necklace for charity auction

Still ongoing

Working at a women's aid (right word?)

Youth representative assembly for county politics

Tutoring math

Planning Stage

Paint MEGApainting

Study back excercises and make a program I can follow