What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm....CAS update

creativity: european youth parliament (many hours), video workshop, workshop (communication with handicapped children)

action: swimming, volleyball - I'm pretty lazy with this one

service: guiding foreign students through linz (about 30 hours on that one), library work, tutoring German

I'm a little worried about action....but I still have time (or so I hope)

<_<

Edited by monica

• 1 month later...

I'm involved in SO much stuff. :\

lol, I need to work on my priorities ... but that's kind of why I like CAS, it gives me an excuse to get involved in a lot of clubs/activities that I'd be doing if I weren't in IB anyways.

C - art club, church choir, school newspaper, DECA, and I got hours for performing a song for my school's annual "talent show" I guess you could call it?

A - karate, judo, badminton (team and club), swimming, skiing (this winter)

S - volunteering at a seniors' home, math tutoring, reading buddies program at the library, teen advisory group at the library, youth ambassador program at my school, social justice team, and I teach karate at my karate class.

I'm finished all my hours already and I'm only in year 1 :D

Creativity: School plays, designing invitation cards, writing a novel, creating a comic, and dance class.

Activity: Tennis, karate, fencing, soccer, and sometimes from doing manual labour at service sites.

Service: GK777 (Gawad Kalinga 777 -- also gives action hours), Chosen Children Village (working with mentally challenged children), tutoring in Japanese, participating at a Chinese old folks' home, and actually from making props and stuff for the school play (they consider it a service to the school, apparently).

I'm done, mostly because of the school plays, the novel I wrote, tennis, and GK. But I was doing them for fun from the start anyway, so maybe that's why I earned CAS hours so quickly... (Geez, though, filling out those CAS forms can be a real pain sometimes.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For service I'm coaching a baseball team and giving guitar lessons, for free -.-' Actually I'd do it anyways so I don't consider it CAS so much, it's just a one darn signature. Creativity is probably the easiest for me, because I do insane amounts of all kinds of music stuff, like playing in a band and doing gigs, but there the problem that who the heck will sign my CAS-diary? the middle-aged metal maniac running the bar that I'm playing in? hopefully not, I'd lose my face there :P Action is then maybe the most annoying one, because for that I actually had to start doing something like gym and jogging that I blissfully had forgot after quiting the baseball team.

• 2 weeks later...

Creativity

- Playing the flute (although I havent actually gone to any of my lessons so far this term XD)

- Writing a novel

- Learning sign language

Action

- Basically just jogging but I think I'll get something different for next term as its virtually impossible to feel excited about trudging through the snowy streets.

Service

- Tutoring

- Also a lot of random small projects :D

Yeah... I have to work a bit on finding better CAS projects as I got bored way too quickly with the one's I started with.

Most schools in the US have national honor society right? the ib coordinator says that you should not to the service you do for NHS for CAS. So I was wondering, can you actually do both(for all US students) and have NHS hours count for CAS hours? Because NHS requires are community leadership serive and action. so thats 2 out of the 3 in CAS, so i don't see why it shouldn't count for it

i wouldn't see why not. both organizations just want to be sure you're involved. doing one activity and counting it for both of them is just using different papers to show the different organizations what you're doing.

it works at my school. but i know some schools have stupid rules about CAS... ours has it's fair share too <3

AAH! 50th Post! :)

Edited by cranberry_isle

Creativity:

Debating team, Model United Nations, some from an anti-bullying club, I might get more if I make it onto Student Council

Action:

Weight training (we have a supervised fitness room at school, so this can count), soccer

Service:

Anti-bullying club, tutoring math, Best Buddies (organization where students are paired up with special needs students on a one-on-one basis and with group activities.)

Hoping to add one or two more for each by Year 2. I think I'm on track to finish my hours without too much of a problem.

Creativity:

- Drums

- LOTS of poster-and-flyer drawings

- Ceramics

- Photography

Action:

- Gym

- Fencing

Service:

- Going to this school for mentally and physically handicapped children

- Going to this nursing home

- Helping out at Year 8 dinner at my school

- Helping out on every dang Open Day......God I'm sick of it now

- Giving a hand at the Immigrant Women's Centre in my hometown, Korea

Pretty sure I've done something more for Creativity but can't remember. I only have a few activities but then I do them regularly for a long time so I think it'll be sweet.

Creativity - mentoring third graders, designing a website for a club and IB in our school

Action - none right now, but probably learn how to ice skate (and maybe learn how to swim)

Service - mentoring third graders, being a docent, maintaining a website for a club and IB in our school

Edited by Krazim