What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

During this summer, my CAS activities were Woodcarving, Soup Kitchen volunteering, American Red Cross Volunteer, Big Brothers Big Sisters reading mentor, and I'm signing up the paperwork to volunteer for a Legal service organization.

How do you volunteer at the red cross?

Oh, it's actually really easy. First, find the local Red Cross/Red Crescent branch that's closet to you, and ask to volunteer. They will probably have you take three mandatory FREE courses about working in Disaster Shelters. After that's done, go to the weekly meetings, or ask to have them call you if they need volunteers. My Red Cross have a "Youth Group" for High School and College aged volunteers, and your local branch may also have one.

My Red Cross branch usually has a few volunteer opportunities every month. We go around town, passing out information on disasters, and we are usually at local events.

Alas, if a disaster does occur, you can volunteer at a shelter for a few days, and reap massive amounts of CAS hours!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Creative: Math Club and competitions :P

Action: Yoga

Service: Tutoring, Charity Club, Amnesty International. (Trying to get hospital approval so I can volunteer there :P )

For my school we have to fill in evaluation forms after EACH session of our activity (so for activities that would occur for the entire school year, we would write x amount of evaluations). I wonder if I can get CAS hours filling these forms for people :P

Amnesty international..really? i thought they dont take youth volunteers..wut do you do?

• 3 weeks later...

Officially:

Creativity: I'm in the performing arts club. So I guess I'm gonna do some acting and the teacher said I can help out as well so that can count as Service as well :)

Action: I'm participating in the Basketball and Swimming after school clubs

Service: Helping a teacher run a football club, and my CAS co-ordinator is setting up an Orphanage thing , so we gon' get some good hours up in hurr , y'heard D:

actually my school which is named as TIS(Tehran International School) doesnt give me any idea for cas, especially for service . they just leave us alone and they want a 20 hours of report after each month !!!!!!!!!

For service you could do tutoring (with your peers or kids in lower grades, 11th and 10th grade for example)... For Action you can jog like 20 minutes every day or 3 to 4 days a week... and for Creativity write a story or make a painting or do something you wouldn't normally do!

At the moment, the CAS activities I'm doing are:

Creativity:

- Musical (our school's doing High School Musical this year - i'm a cheerleader)

-

Action:

- Volleyball

- (Soccer later on)

Service:

- HFH [Habitat for Humanity]

- GIN [Global Issues Network]

- and other one day activities here and there. just recently went to an HIV orphanage and got 6 hours for it...

my school has LOADS of great service activities since i live in vietnam, there are plenty of opportunities to be within the communty and serving others. not only are there a lot of long term activities, but there is also a lot of short term ones where you get a few to many hours for it.

I am almost done with my CAS hours. :yes: Most definitely one of the best parts about IB.

For service:

-tutoring a younger child

-fund raising to help Pakistan after the floods

-building an eco-trail in the mountain

-visit a hospital where children are sick of cancer and do random activities with them (draw, make cards)

Action:

-snowboarding

-tennis

-hiking

-basketball

Creativity

-baking for bake sales and fund raisers

-Junior Achievement

-Manager for a Day

-HOSIC

and basically they all add up :no:

C: Orchestra, Flute group, Woodwind and Brass group, 3 choirs, 2 school musicals, Co-head of music and singing for my House play, Debating

A: Tennis, Hockey, Swimming, Karate, Athletics (thanks to the general un-pro-ness of my school when it comes to sport, fortunately for me it's not difficult to get on the teams)

Service: 40 hour famine committee (World Vision), Social Work Committee (including baking copious quantities of brownies for bake-sales...), was a buddy for the Overseas Student Orientation program, going to retirement homes and playing for the residents, library service (btw my school doesn't let us use being on our Student Council (well, "Student Leadership Team") - seems like what qualifies can be a bit arbitrary?)

I think CAS is one of the (plethora of) things that sets IB apart, and, not trying to sound too much like my journal here (which should sooooooo count for creativity hours), these experiences doing CAS have been really valuable. Especially for the school; most volunteers for school events are students seeking CAS hours :)

Guest Red XII

C: Mock Trial (8+ hours/week during the school year, as I'm the Captain)

A: Working out (hit 50 in no time)

S: Volunteering for horseback riding lessons for disabled children/adults (I think I'm nearing 50 hours now)

Creativity: Yearbook, Web Design, Spelling Bee

Action: Tennis, (Southern-)France "traditional" Dance, Basketball

Service: Organized Charity Shows at school, (national) Community work (every last saturday of the month, people all of over the country get together in the morning to do community work), Visited orphanages.

We were told to log no more than 20 hours for one activity, otherwise I would have been done with just Yearbook, Tennis, and Community work.

my school offers ball room dancing and common sporting actvites like football(i.e.soccer) and basket ball. but i also do other things like boxing, something i've always done now im using it for CAS. Our school also has a trip to Rome, Italy which basically covers our creativity section of CAS. XD

At the moment I'm doing these activities:

Creativity - Organising a charity concert, Tutoring an MP2 student in Spanish, Writing for a amateur magazine

Action - Organising a charity concert, Training for a 5 km run

Service - Organising a charity concert, Tutoring an MP2 student in Spanish, Writing for an amateur magazine

I would like to add another activitiy to that though.. need to think about that.

And I occasionally do a few shorter activities, for example I took pictures at the DP2 graduation ceremony in September (the pictures ended up on our school website and in local newspapers) and in a few weeks I'll be helping out at a nature working day at a nature playground.

• 2 weeks later...

Action - Volleyball, Squash and CAS residential trip got me 65 hours :P

Creativity - CAS residential trip, Modelling for Art Club (unadvisable since you have to stay in one pose for atleast an hour), learning Dutch and Italian

Service - Habitat for Humanity trip ( i had to go to Hungary and build houses for the homeless) CAS residential trip and teaching Roma (gypsy) kids english. This all added up to about 80 hours 8-)

Project = Habitat For Humanity trip. Had to raise money for the trip, contact the organisation and everything. Actually we couldn't raise enough money so we borrowed money from school. Still owe the school about 90 euros :)

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have a lot! I even have over 50 service hours!

Creative: school play, MUN,

Action: Badminton

Service: teaching English at a local orphanage, working with local charities, helping disabled kids ride hours, helping out with events at my school

I was really worried that I wouldn't have enough time to do CAS, but it actually is pretty easy! You just have to get involved.