What are your CAS activities

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range

My CAS counsellor is very strict with the activities we'll be holding. Yeah, we need to organise the activities ourselves and propose the proposal to her. Normally, she rejected it. And when she accepted it, it's relief. But before that, we need to ask our CAS advisor whether she agree or not. She'll reject any activities beyond our district. So for me, it's very hard. Plus, I'm a student council member and the counsellor refuse to accept any of my points organising school's events. Hope, the next sem will be better. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Our school is real chill about what gets counted as CAS hours, but every student basically is own their own for finding things to do. I was able to continue the activities I had been doing previously plus o a few more volunteer things. There really is no communication/language barrier for me seeing as how I've lived in the USA my whole life.

Creative: Math Club and competitions ^_^

Action: Yoga

Service: Tutoring, Charity Club, Amnesty International. (Trying to get hospital approval so I can volunteer there :) )

For my school we have to fill in evaluation forms after EACH session of our activity (so for activities that would occur for the entire school year, we would write x amount of evaluations). I wonder if I can get CAS hours filling these forms for people :blink:

Amnesty international..really? i thought they dont take youth volunteers..wut do you do?

If you were in the US, youd be able to do volunteer service in hospitals.

C: Orchestra, Flute group, Woodwind and Brass group, 3 choirs, 2 school musicals, Co-head of music and singing for my House play, Debating

A: Tennis, Hockey, Swimming, Karate, Athletics (thanks to the general un-pro-ness of my school when it comes to sport, fortunately for me it's not difficult to get on the teams)

Service: 40 hour famine committee (World Vision), Social Work Committee (including baking copious quantities of brownies for bake-sales...), was a buddy for the Overseas Student Orientation program, going to retirement homes and playing for the residents, library service (btw my school doesn't let us use being on our Student Council (well, "Student Leadership Team") - seems like what qualifies can be a bit arbitrary?)

I think CAS is one of the (plethora of) things that sets IB apart, and, not trying to sound too much like my journal here (which should sooooooo count for creativity hours), these experiences doing CAS have been really valuable. Especially for the school; most volunteers for school events are students seeking CAS hours :)

no way... check your C and A...

C Flute in pep band and symphonic band, Violin in ensemble, drama club

A Swimming, Dance (co captain), and Tennis

S Volunteer at a hospital going to different rooms and visiting people. I also feed them when they cant and make sure they are comfortable.

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak

• 5 weeks later...

Creativity: Cooking lessons (I'm in an international school so that's quite fun), sewing course, First Aid course, guitar lessons, Japanese language lessons (+German and Russian), KarMUN

Action: swimming, ice skating, basic survival skills course

Service: gathering founds for the further education of my friend in Nepal, volounteering in one of the biggest charity foundations in Poland (The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity)

CAS is fun. I have a blog with my reflections and photos form the activities. Yey.

• 2 weeks later...

As for me..

Service - taking care of children at the hospital

Action - Catamaran sailing

Creativity - Alto sax

The thing I don't like about CAS is that it doesn't let you focus on one thing. I really love sailing, and I would prefer to do it more often than 5 hours a week (which is basicaly one training). Still, I appreciate all that I'm doing, if only not for the reflection book... :)

Edited by Hinuku

• 2 weeks later...

Is it obligatory to divide cas hours evenly between two years of the programme? Do you do cas even during holidays? Do you change your activities within creativity, action or service hours (e.g. for service you work 15 hours in an orphanage, 15 hours in kindergarten and the rest somewhere else)?

• 1 month later...

Creativity:

Piano

Action:

Swimming

Soccer(Football)

Tennis

Service:

Helping out at a charity aged care facility

Peer mentoring year 7s at school

Went on year 7 camp as a leader

About to start donating blood.

Does French tutoring count for Creativity?

Edited by sarahlouise

P55pz.jpg

Explanations:

CAS Sports: learning tennis and badminton

Bazaar: collecting goods and re-selling them to school staffs

2011 Calendar: desinging my own calendar, all proceeds go to charity

Sukabumi Trip: donated a classroom to a school, helped painting the new walls and repainting the old walls

Night Marathon: finding sponsors and running a marathon, all proceeds go to charity

Cambodia Trip: helped in a school construction, taught in an orphans school, bonded with orphans

the rest are pretty clear, I guess :P

• Like 1

I like CAS as well:)

I work in a small second hand where the whole staff are volentary, and therefore mostly senoirs haha. But since my town isn't really big, there isn't many secondhands and this one is a very good one ( ;) )so people know about it, and at opening hours the store is full, but the atmosphere is still as if everyone knows everyone.

This is a lot of fun since I get to talk to people I would usually not talk to and this also makes me feel as if I am taking a great part in society. So I have become more integrated in society and more social. And still I havn't mentioned that we are sending a lot of money to people in need.

I would like to something as BS did but my school demands regulary CAS, around 1 hour of each CAS type every week. Is this normal?

dessskris, how is choir action hours!! and that many? that's insane :blink:

I've gone a little overboard on the CAS - but it's all stuff I would do anyway! I don't think of it as CAS just me really :)

Advanced Open Debating

Chapel Band 2010

Clan Chorus

Debating Coaching

Hockey 2010

Horse Riding

Hockey 2011

Kentoris 2010 - premier school choir

Kentoris 2011

Kidsline 2010 - nz telephone counselling service - I answer the phones :D

Kidsline 2011

MUNA

Props for Dracula - drama production

Ruapotaka School 2010 - service visits

Seussical - school musical last year - I was a who ! haha :)

Singing

Totals: Creativity: 315 Action: 132 Service: 220

dessskris, how is choir action hours!! and that many? that's insane :blink:

I know right? it's because I had choir 2x 1.5 hr per week for one semester and then 3x 1.5 hr per week for a quarter. We also had 2x 2 days Training Centers, in which we sang for about 8 hr each day. We've also had performances and when we went to the competition, we practised for hours per day.

We joined 2 categories in the competition, one of which required us to dance. I didn't want more C hours so I allocated the dancing hours for A hours. :D

And wow, you've got hell a lot of hours too!

Ah fair enough :) I remember one year we were choreographed, it was terrible haha we are far more classy now!

haha and the sad thing is, that's not all of them! Pretty much everything there is signed off except for the Hockey, Kentoris and Kidsline for this year, and I'm still doing everything again this year pretty much :D I'm just being sneaky and not writing it up because as you can probably see, I already have plenty of hours! :D

Still working on first year IB

CAS activities: (Selected and re-worded)

- Lifeguarding courses (Action)

- Learn Classical Indian Dance (including Tabla and all that jazz)

- Bead For Life

- Multiple Combos organized and participate in (creativity)

- School Comitee

- Plan a dance (clean dance)

- Help at a Gala

- Participate in a RepBand -- Jazz

- Improv (first ever!) in the RepBand

- Volunteer work

- Sub-For-Santa

- The SARA Society

*and many more to come!*

--> outcomes: At least 2 bars/outcome (most is 10 so far)

--> 285 approved hours (more to come)

Tips:

1) Have long term activities, this ensure that you are always working on something during the "slow" or "busy" season (e.g. workout routine)

2) Having said number 1), plan activities which get you at least +6 hours in one shot (e.g. one weekend: run a marathon - if never done before- It also links to your workout routine. The marathon could have been something you were aiming for.)

3) Plan ahead. Have activities planned out for the next 6 months.

4) Ask around! Ask friends, family, anyone for CAS opportunities!

5) Actually take a look at whatever information comes your way. Do something out of your comfort zone. Be proactive

6) Carry a camera with you. ALWAYS provide evidence. And a picture is worth a thousand words, so less typing for your poor IB fingers! :P

7) Have a positive attitude. Do it because you really want to do it. SMILE :D

Edited by egr12resa
  • Like 1

Guest JimmyK

I don't really remember all the CAS I've done until now because it's so much and I'm still in IB1... :|

C - Piano practice, music composition, improvisation

A - Football, International Forums, Swimming, Concerts, MUN

S - Transport Ambulance Crew Member, School Ambassador, Helping at school events, Christmas help at an institution, Student council

I am sure that it is incomplete. I still have to have more thoughts about what I've done until now...:S

but that's the most important part of my CAS ;)