General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

I am at grade 11 doing my first year in the IB System, ive started a week ago...and honestly im really REALLY scared of it and i keep getting this feeling that its going to be EXTREMELY hard..... I want to study medicine at uni so i take HL: chem, Bio, and english and SL: math, arabic, and business. Can someone who has finished IB tell me please how it was and does it matter if you were good at HL sunjects that past years? Pleassse

Hey, I was wondering if it's an ABSOLUTE-MUST to study a subject from Group 2 (Second Language). I'm currently enrolled for Spanish ab initio SL but my first year grades were absolutely dismal(and I absolutely worked my bottom off!). So, I really hope I don't have to pursue it any further because it is only going to jeopardize my chances of ever attending a good Uni.

I actually plan on taking up Philosophy SL in it's place, because that's one subject i've always been passionate about. And I am certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that i can actually PASS the subject (unlike Spanish ab initio). 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! So everybody's struggling with the start of IB, but my struggle is a bit different. Yes, the classes are hard and there's a lot of homework, but my problem is how I have zero motivation. I spent the last year as an exchange student, have finally started going out and doing things, pursuing my hobbies, and I've stopped seeing the point in going to school at all. I just go through the motions because I know it's impossible to get a job without -- but I don't even want to work at an institution, I want to write and take photos and work at theatre dressing rooms; I don't want to climb the career ladder or to be rich, I just want to live.

So, point is, I'm thinking maybe going abroad again for IB2 is the answer -- are there any scolarships for attending the IB abroad (only the 2nd year, then) and where can I find information on them? Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

I am at grade 11 doing my first year in the IB System, ive started a week ago...and honestly im really REALLY scared of it and i keep getting this feeling that its going to be EXTREMELY hard..... I want to study medicine at uni so i take HL: chem, Bio, and english and SL: math, arabic, and business. Can someone who has finished IB tell me please how it was and does it matter if you were good at HL sunjects that past years? Pleassse

The IB can be hard, yes, but it's not impossible. Just make sure that you don't procrastinate too much ^_^ (Answering questions on IBS when you should be writing CAS diary for example... Not that I'd do that!) 

As for your subjects, they seem very well suited for medicine! Chemistry HL can be a bit tricky, but again not impossible - this guy's ( https://www.youtube.com/user/richthornley ) videos are amazing. Biology is easier than chemistry, but there is more content to learn. It's of course good if you were good at your HLs before, but not necessary. Your other subjects are easier than the first two, I believe (not having taken arabic or business though).

So don't stress! You haven't even started yet, you'll get a feel of the level of the courses soon. The IB has a reputation, but it's not as extremely hard as it's often made out to be, if you don't waste all your time doing other stuff ^_^ 

Oh, and welcome! :)

Hi guys! So everybody's struggling with the start of IB, but my struggle is a bit different. Yes, the classes are hard and there's a lot of homework, but my problem is how I have zero motivation. I spent the last year as an exchange student, have finally started going out and doing things, pursuing my hobbies, and I've stopped seeing the point in going to school at all. I just go through the motions because I know it's impossible to get a job without -- but I don't even want to work at an institution, I want to write and take photos and work at theatre dressing rooms; I don't want to climb the career ladder or to be rich, I just want to live.

So, point is, I'm thinking maybe going abroad again for IB2 is the answer -- are there any scolarships for attending the IB abroad (only the 2nd year, then) and where can I find information on them? Thank you so much!

Hi! I went through sort of the same thing as you did, I think. Went on an exchange year, and came back much more social and outgoing than I was when I left. ^_^ But just because you do stuff outside of school, doesn't not mean that school isn't important anymore - because you don't really go to school to socialize, do you? Now, it can be frustrating to go through school if you know that you don't want to work with anything related to that, but bear in mind that writing/taking photos/working in a theatre are all very hard to either earn money from or get a job in. I don't want to discourage you, but an IB Diploma is always good to have, just in case you don't get a job working as a photographer directly after leaving school. "Just living" sadly requires money :/ 

Going abroad seems like a wonderful idea! Unfortunately, I don't know of any scholarships to attend the IB abroad... What I'd recommend is finishing your last year at IB first, before going abroad ^_^ Then you don't have to study and can concentrate on having fun ^_^ (and working) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i've uploaded my notes and summaries for History and Economics for IB and A-Level examinations here:

aibnotes.blogspot.com

Among other topics, you'll find:

• The Arab-Israeli Conflict
  • The origins of the Cold War
  • Revolution in Cuba
  • Dètente between East and West (1962-1975)
  • The “Second Cold War†Renewed Tension Between East and West, 1975-1984
  • Vietnam - USA Containment in the Southeast Pacific
  • Fall of USSR (Part 1) - Gorbachev and the end of communist rule
  • Fall of USSR (Part 2) - The collapse of the USSR and the end of communist rule
  • The Sino-Soviet Split: origins and main features.
  • China - Reforms and Modernization After Mao
  • ECONOMICS: Government macroeconomic policy objectives and indicators of national economic performance

Hope you find them useful

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

So i'm a sophomore in high school and I plan on doing IB next year as they offer it at my school for juniors and seniors. 

Here are the classes they offer:

English A1 HL

German, French, Spanish SL

History of Americas HL, Psychology SL

Biology Chemistry and Physics

Math Studies

Music Theory and Visual Arts 

So was I wondering how difficult the workload is going to be compared to AP classes and how much time am I going to put into homework? Also which classes should I take?

Thanks soo much :)

Hi everyone!

So i'm a sophomore in high school and I plan on doing IB next year as they offer it at my school for juniors and seniors. 

Here are the classes they offer:

English A1 HL

German, French, Spanish SL

History of Americas HL, Psychology SL

Biology Chemistry and Physics

Math Studies

Music Theory and Visual Arts 

So was I wondering how difficult the workload is going to be compared to AP classes and how much time am I going to put into homework? Also which classes should I take?

Thanks soo much :)

I found the workload comparable to AP classes. The only difference is that you'll have to write an EE, do CAS activities, and take TOK, which are all very reasonable if you keep on top of your deadlines. Provided you don't procrastinate too much, start assignments early, and have a decent work ethic, you'll be fine and still have time to sleep/have some semblance of a life. The people who do poorly in the IB or who are always "drowning in homework" are the people who don't take it seriously enough and have bad time management skills.

You'll spend as much time on the homework as it takes you, no one knows what's going to be assigned, how good you are at a subject, etc. You should take the classes that would best align with what you want to study after high school, given what's available to you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All I can suggest doing to prepare for IB is learning study habits and time management skills. You realise once you are in IB that studying a couple days before the exam doesn't really work... just because of the insane content you need to know or concepts to master. So I would suggest getting into the habit of making study notes at the end of each week, and making flashcards is helpful too because it's crazy how easy it is to forget things. 

Also, even though you can take a subject at Standard Level, it is still hard. Higher Level is just insanely hard (depending on which subjects you choose). For example, I take HL film which I find really easy, but then HL psychology I have to learn loads and loads of content. 

But you don't need to choose which subjects you will take as HL's or SL's for a while anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, I need help.

I'm planning to take english A HL, indonesian A1 SL, history SL, physics HL.

I'm currently doing IGCSE and for mocks I got A* for maths and a B in econs, though my score for econs was probably third best in my class. No one got an A. My econs teacher is pretty strict about marking.

Which subject do you think I'll score better in; economics HL or maths HL? Thanks!

Hey Guys,

We as IB Diploma students face a lot of difficulty at the beginning of the curriculum. Here is a short survey which I have created to understand these problems. Please spare a minute to answer three questions in it. 

Kindly follow the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fHd3aVRDZx2Kk-SM1hOoZMeLaw5tOSerOepzPgczuEs/viewform

Dear zeevee, which math do you take for IGCSE? There is a big gap between Math HL&SL. IGCSE's Additional Math will help you a lot for IB. But if you are not taking that Additional Math, I am suggesting you to take Math SL and put something else at HL.

Dear all,

Thank you for responding to my survey. I have got in touch with some IB teachers and ex-IB students to help you out. My subsequent post will contain their response to the problems you are facing or have faced in transitioning to IB.

For those who haven't yet replied, I am reposting my survey questions in form of a link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fHd3aVRDZx2Kk-SM1hOoZMeLaw5tOSerOepzPgczuEs/viewform

Kindly fill the form containing three questions about the challenges you are facing in IB to get  reply from the experts.

Dear all,

Thank you for responding to my survey. I have got in touch with some IB teachers and ex-IB students to help you out. My subsequent post will contain their response to the problems you are facing or have faced in transitioning to IB.

For those who haven't yet replied, I am reposting my survey questions in form of a link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fHd3aVRDZx2Kk-SM1hOoZMeLaw5tOSerOepzPgczuEs/viewform

Kindly fill the form containing three questions about the challenges you are facing in IB to get  reply from the experts.