General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

• 3 weeks later...

Purely out of interest: what is the document we get on results day like? What kind of information do we have access to? Just grades, percentages or also component marks?

When you log in on results day, you will see each subject you took and the overall mark for it, your total score, and whether you have received your diploma or not. Your ib coordinator receives the breakdown for each student a few days later, at which point you can ask to see your component grades for each subject you took.

• Like 2

Purely out of interest: what is the document we get on results day like? What kind of information do we have access to? Just grades, percentages or also component marks?

When you log in on results day, you will see each subject you took and the overall mark for it, your total score, and whether you have received your diploma or not. Your ib coordinator receives the breakdown for each student a few days later, at which point you can ask to see your component grades for each subject you took.

Thanks! When you say "mark", do you mean 80/100 or 7?

Hi, I'm sorry, I might be posting this in the wrong place, I'm new here. 

So I have decided to take the IB, and will be starting it next year. Anyways, I need help choosing classes for the IB. I have already chosen them, but the school said that there is still time to change them if I want to. I don't yet specifically know what I want to study, but I know that it will be in either the area of sciences or the area of mathematics. I was thinking maybe something to do with medicine, or maybe psychiatry, or maybe actuary or anything else with math. 

Here are my current course selections:

Math HL

Physics HL

Biology HL

Psychology HL

English A Lang. and Lit. SL

Spanish A Lang. and Lit. SL

How hard would it be to juggle all of those HLs? What I am most afraid of is what I have been hearing from people in those classes, and the biggest complaints have to do with math HL because the teacher doesn't teach or grade things on time. Are those two HL sciences going to be very hard, in your experiences? 

A problem I am having is to do with Chemistry, which I was considering, but I really don't want to give up either physics or biology. Also, I am really bad at chemistry, and it doesn't interest me too much. However, I'm pretty certain that I would need chemistry in order to get into any pre-med program. Is there any way that I could avoid taking chemistry as a class but still get into a good pre-med program? If I were to get a tutor for it or learn it online and pass some kind of entrance exam? Do any of you know of such a possibility? 

Sorry for the confusing questions and thank you in advance for any replies or suggestions. 

Edited by juca

I have two questions that have been hindering my decision if IB is right for me.

1.) Is there any possible way to get the diploma in the U.S. without taking a language. I take Italian at my school and their is only one Italian teacher who is God awful and I don't think I would be able to take two more years of Italian with her.

2.) My school offers two math courses for 11th graders: IB SL and IB studies. I am under the impression that they are both waited as IB classes (1.15) but IB SL is very difficult while IB Studies is essentially a joke. My question is would a college know the difference? I don't want to get an 80 in IB SL if I can get a 95 in IB Studies and a college wouldn't notice the difference.

I have two questions that have been hindering my decision if IB is right for me.

1.) Is there any possible way to get the diploma in the U.S. without taking a language. I take Italian at my school and their is only one Italian teacher who is God awful and I don't think I would be able to take two more years of Italian with her.

2.) My school offers two math courses for 11th graders: IB SL and IB studies. I am under the impression that they are both waited as IB classes (1.15) but IB SL is very difficult while IB Studies is essentially a joke. My question is would a college know the difference? I don't want to get an 80 in IB SL if I can get a 95 in IB Studies and a college wouldn't notice the difference.

1. A second language is needed to receive a diploma. You may take another language online but they are costly

2.  Colleges would definitely know the difference between Math Studies vs Math SL. You may want to check if said college accepts Math Studies for your program of choice.

Is their any possible way to get the diploma without a language?

No. You must take a foreign language as part of your diploma. If it's too much of an issue to keep taking Italian, switch to another language and take it as an ab initio course, otherwise you won't receive the diploma.

Is their any possible way to get the diploma without a language?

No. You must take a foreign language as part of your diploma. If it's too much of an issue to keep taking Italian, switch to another language and take it as an ab initio course, otherwise you won't receive the diploma.

What if my school doesn't offer any initio course?

Then you're either stuck with Italian, or another way is that you can see if you can arrange to take an ab initio course online (but you'll likely have to pay a lot of money to do so). Those are really your only options unless you want to drop the diploma and just take certificates.

Then you're either stuck with Italian, or another way is that you can see if you can arrange to take an ab initio course online (but you'll likely have to pay a lot of money to do so). Those are really your only options unless you want to drop the diploma and just take certificates.

Well, looks like I'm doing AP then thanks for the help

• 1 month later...

Choose your best and most enjoyable subjects for your HL subjects as that is what you will be spending the most time on, then with what is left over you can choose your SLs, if you are able to do that with your subject choices.

At my school because of what was offered, I only actually got to choose 1 SL subject (I did AB initio italian and SL maths, before going down to SL studies) so I did my other four subjects (Chemistry, English, Economics and History) at HL for the start of my first year decided which ones I enjoyed the most, then chose one to drop down to SL (Chemistry).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...