Chemistry TZ2 HL Paper 3

silver*linings

How did everyone find it and which options did you do?

We were all taught only Human biochem and Modern analytical at our college, and being a physicist I detested revising biochem as you had to learn SO MUCH! Consequently I had no idea what an iodine number was, but actually it wasn't too bad.

Analytical had some weird questions in it such as the why do compounds with C double bonds absorb IR radiation, just blabbered on about pi bonds abit although i swear in reality it is due to molecular changes in polarity, but couldn't see how to relate the two!

The H NMR one I found slightly odd as well because it seemed like none of those circled H environments should have produced a singlet splitting pattern, in the end it just went down to which fitted the ppm value.

All in all,I found that it followed the general paper 3 trend of confusingly-worded questions and some obscure bits of the syllabus and I came out feeling that I would be pleased with anything over 50%, thankfully papers 1+2 went well for me, what are your opinions?

I did Option B(biochemistry) and E(environmental). Overall i thought it was Easy. Iodine number was the amount of iodine that Adds to 100 Gram of the compound. So you Devide the molar mass of iodine by the given molar mass and multiply by 100. The answer was around 86. The only challenging thing for me in option be was the respiration question. I was not sure war exactly happened to pyrivate. I said it was oxidized in both aerobic and anaerobic respiration. I was not totally sure about the products either, I said glucose and co2 in aerobic and lactic acid+ ATP in anaerobic

In option E I was not sure what to do to reverse the acidity. So I said add lime water. And then I am not queue sure if I did the salt calculations thing right. But other than that I am pretty confident about paper 3. It could actually be a 7 :)

@ johanna st

I did environmental and bio as well

I couldn't remember secondary pollutants other than so3? What were they? Also, what did u get for the Ksp question. And for biochem, what did u write as the function of fatty acid in the body? Aand one more thing, in biochem how can the product of respiration be glucose? Isn't that the reactant?

I Said that PAN Gases in photochemical Smog, and NO2 is also a secondary one. I got 2.8* 10^-14. but These calculations were Never My strength. Yeah Sorry the products probably should be water and co2 right ? And for anaerobic ? With the function of the hydrolysis ? I wrote that the triglyceride plus 3 waters forms glycerole plus 3 oelic acids.

I did Medicines and Drugs (D) and Further Organic Chemistry (G) and those went pretty well. Medicines was really straightforward, as it usually is. I wish they had asked more about antacids because I find those super easy but they chose antibacterials instead, which is cool too. Further Organic was okay, nothing too exceptional though. The majority of the questions were straightforward but I didn't like some of them towards the end about organic acids and bases, which was something we hadn't done in great depth. Overall, I found paper 3 to be one of the easier papers I've done. Paper 1 also went reasonably well but paper 2 was pretty average for me. I don't think I did so hot on that one at all and it didn't help that we never did the measurements topic in class, since that was the first question...

I did Environmental and Industry. Environmental was okay - I also said adding lime (CaO) would neutralise, but I didn't write any equations. I didnt study enough for Option C and I didnt know the phenol-methanal question. Overall I think I did the best in this paper out of all 3 papers.

I did Environmental and Industry. Environmental was okay - I also said adding lime (CaO) would neutralise, but I didn't write any equations. I didnt study enough for Option C and I didnt know the phenol-methanal question. Overall I think I did the best in this paper out of all 3 papers.

I do option C too! Thought my school was the only one haha. I completely misread the first question which is annoying, but I wrote you add NaOH anyway which I think is right to make the alumina act as an acid

We only got taugh modern analytical for paper 3 as we all wanted to do different options. In the end none of us did modern analytical in the exam because she doesnt teach us right. With chemistry being my worst subject, I taught myself drugs and medicine aswell as food chemistry and the questions which came up were great =] but I buggered up in naming the class of drug. food chemistry questions were rather straight forward but I had no idea what the malliards reaction was so i wrote nonesense for it, hoping this paper pulls my grade up as paper 2 was awful!