Chemistry HL Paper 1 and 2 TZ2

laurabradshaw

I had D for the graph because of the gradient

Perhaps it is D, and that they wanted us to recognize that C only worked for a second order reaction. From a mathematical perspective, I think that the question was unfair.

The answer was definitely C for that question. First order reactions come very close to zero in a []/t graph, whereas second order graphs are much less steep. I agree it was a trick question, but luckily I had a look at those graphs in my textbook the night before :)

Yeah that meniscus stuff was weird... Did not like that at all... I also wrote random error but it was a complete guess. My friend wrote human error which could actually be right...

If anyone did the orgo question, I thought the one where you had to find the molecular formula of menthol was such a smart question. Took me a while but I got it.

Did anyone do the HF question? That's the only one I had no idea about...

Does anybody know what the grade boundaries will be like for this year? #soscared

Paper one usually fluctuates around 35-36/40 for a 7, and should be the same this year as it wasn't hugely harder than previous years. i hope grade boundaries are lower for paper two this year, because of that stupid question A data analysis. Usually a 7 is around 69-71/90 so hopefully this year it will be a bit lower like 66 or something. It won't be a huge difference though.

Yeah that meniscus stuff was weird... Did not like that at all... I also wrote random error but it was a complete guess. My friend wrote human error which could actually be right...

If anyone did the orgo question, I thought the one where you had to find the molecular formula of menthol was such a smart question. Took me a while but I got it.

Yeah the molecular formula question was straight from november 2012, I couldn't believe they put it again! For the HF question you have to calculate the pKb of F-, and pKa of NH4+ and compare which one is lower. Since NH4+ is lower, it is stronger so the solution will be acidic.

I said it was a systematic error, as the readings would have all been off by the same amount. And I said that they should reduce the amount of oxygen available, as the percipitate formed in the reaction of Mn2+ with oxygen. but I am not sure they'll accept it, I just guessed for that one

The thing is, this isn't even in the syllabus. Let's bomb the IB in Cardiff!!!!

What isn't in the syllabus ? The systematic error thing is (objective 11.1.1 describe and give examples of random uncertainties and systematic errors). And for the Mn thing, who knows, i guess it is just data analysis... But I'll join the bombing anyways ;)

I said it was a systematic error, as the readings would have all been off by the same amount. And I said that they should reduce the amount of oxygen available, as the percipitate formed in the reaction of Mn2+ with oxygen. but I am not sure they'll accept it, I just guessed for that one

What isn't in the syllabus ? The systematic error thing is (objective 11.1.1 describe and give examples of random uncertainties and systematic errors). And for the Mn thing, who knows, i guess it is just data analysis... But I'll join the bombing anyways ;)

I meant the percipitate which was formed. I simply guessed that MnO was formed.

Haha, perfect! :)

That error comes under systematic errors, its known as a parallax error. I only know this because of the many titration experiments we did over the two years lol. My teacher mentioned it many times

I did the HF question. Well urhh, i could have been wrong but basically what i did was i converted the Ka to the pKa and then I deduced that it was a weak acid (which HF is). Then I stated the Kb for the other one, converted it to its pKb, deduced that it was a weak base. Said that the weak acid would form a strong conjugate base and the weak base would form a strong conjugate acid, therefore, they would both be neutralized and hence the resulting solution is neutral.

I teared in the exam out of frustration. Are you kidding me IB?! Paper 2 was the hardest thing I have ever been given. I used to solve past papers and score 5 and above. I go into the exam and I am absolutely shocked, my future is at risk because of chemistry right now. paper 1 was really easy though, I knew something bad was going to happen with Paper 2 since the same scenario occurred with Math Paper 2.

That error comes under systematic errors, its known as a parallax error. I only know this because of the many titration experiments we did over the two years lol. My teacher mentioned it many times

I put parallax too but I wasn't sure because parallax is like you reading the scale at an angle. But the students are totally reading it wrongly (I actually think it is because they don't know how to read :P). I mean it is not that they are reading at an angle. They are just taking the wrong measurements.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...