Official IB May 2012 Results Thread

ILM

Chinese A1 SL- 6

English A2 SL - 6

B&M SL - 7 (love this for sure)

Chemistry HL - 5 (I wonder why...)

Physics HL - 7

Mathematics HL - 6 (I admitted I screwed up in the exam..)

Extra:

Further Mathematics SL - 6

Econ EE - C (I felt OK for this one actually)

TOK - B

Additional Points - 1

Total Points - 38

going to HKU lol.. anyone coming to HKU plz PM me

English A1 HL - 6

French B SL - 6

Economics HL - 7

Chemistry HL - 7

Mathematics SL - 7

Physics SL - 7

EE (History) - A

ToK - A

Total - 43

Really, really pleased with my results. A lot of hard work and sleepless nights went into the past two years but it was so worth it. Congrats to everyone!

• Like 1

Is it possible to find out scores for individual exams? (For example what we got on paper 1 and 2 of a1 english hl then the IA scores) If it is, when would we be able to see them?

Yes it is possible, IB will release your component scores (what you got on each paper and IA) to your school and IB coordinator in a couple of days. So wait about a week or so and then call your school to request them. :)

• Like 1

While I'm happy with my marks, I needed 40 points to get a scholarship so I plan on getting a remark. Predicted marks are in brackets.

HL Subjects

Biology: 7 (6)

Chemistry: 7 (6)

Math: 7 (7)

SL Subjects

English A1: 5 (5)

French B: 6 (4)

Philosophy: 5 (5)

EE in Philosophy: C (B)

TOK: B (A)

Total: 38 (36)

• Like 2

Am I the only IB student in the world who does not have their grade awarded for HL History? I am getting paranoid now

What do you mean? Does it show an 'N' instead of a grade?

No it shows a P and my school has never had this happen before.

P means that the grade is pending. Tell your coordinator to call the IBO offices asap.

What if I can't reach my coordinator? She retired this year and is currently in Spain... and I have no idea how to contact the new one.

Call the school? The IBO itself says that in these cases you should have the coordinator call their offices.

My Coordinator has and the IB has just said "We will tell you when we have the result" Nor rea;;y very helpful and no explaination of what the problem is.

Anybody else do 2 sixth subjects? And HL Music people? Trying to judge how well I did.

HL:

English A1: 4 (sad day...my teacher predicted a 5, said I could get a 6 on a good day. Apparently everyone at my school did poorly in this, so I plan on rescoring to get a 5 and college credit.)

Music: 5 (don't know how I pulled this off...no vocal or piano lessons so I was sure the solo performance would kill me.)

Theatre: 7 :D (I think it's because I color coded my PPP.)

SL:

Spanish B: 6

ES&S: 5

Math (not studies): 6 (a bit disappointed, but I blanked the last question of paper 2 so I'm not surprised.)

TOK: B

EE in English: C (wrote it literally the night before it was shipped to IB on a series I read a couple years ago, so I'm happy)

Now I should probably start off by saying that I am, at least I was, very happy with my score. Apart from Math, I barely studied for any of the subjects and yet ended up with a 38. Even with Math it was about desperately cramming the half of the syllabus I had never been bothered to study. And that was enough for a 5.

So perhaps I shouldn't complain. But.

5 Biology HL

6 Physics HL

5 Mathematics HL

7 Chemistry SL

7 Finnish A1 SL

7 English A2 SL

D – EE in Physics

B – TOK

Yes, I was quite worried about my handwriting in the Biology, and perhaps also about not answering the long questions in enough detail. But I seriously thought it could never worse than a 6, almost expecting a 7.

Well, it did not quite go that way. In all the other subjects I did better than what I had predicted, and yet in Biology I got a 5. So when our IB coordinator got access to our component grades today, I sent her an e-mail and asked for mine. Out of mere curiosity, at that point I was fine with a lower mark. Turns out I did not perform all that well in the exams – 6, 5, 6. Overall, one point away from getting a 6. Disappointing, but if it was just due to my exam scores (that is, fully down to my own performance) I could live with that.

But it isn't. Our IAs were marked down in a completely ridiculous fashion. I lost 15 points, meaning that according to the moderator my 5.2 average labs were in fact worth just 2.7 points each. Now we have competent teachers, but perhaps in Biology ours was a bit too lenient and I would have easily understood a 5-6 point reduction. Even a bit more from a very strict moderator. But there's just no way our labs are that bad, and our teachers so much off with their marking. The same actually happened to the SL group too, with another teacher who equally much has experience with the IB.

And for the sake of comparison, in Physics I got 40 points (marked down by 3 points) for my IA, in Chemistry that was 37 points (marked down 0 points). And those labs were horrible compared to the ones I did in Bio. Where I apparently got 28 points.

I understand there's no way this kind of a system can be completely fair to everyone, there's bound to be quite a lot of variation in the marking. But this is just utterly ridiculous. I believe our IB coordinator is requesting for our IA samples to be remarked because it is such a drastic and unexpected result, and so there is some hope I could still get the 2 IA marks I need.

Well, I hope the rest of you had better luck with grade boundaries... Because although I don't know about the grade boundaries for the rest, based on previous years it would seem I am missing a 6 in Math and a 7 in Physics by just a few marks as well. :D

Edited by Satmi

Mine:

Economics HL - 6 :)

History HL - 5 (well....... five is okay but I had some hopes about a 6)

English HL - 5 (again, hoped for a 6 or even a 7)

Math SL - 6 (SUPERhappy about this one, PG was 5 but I knew I could reach a 6 and I DID IT!!)

ESS SL - 5 (alright, people say it's an easy seven so I guess I could've done better... but then again it's not that big of a deal)

and finally...

Finnish SL - 7 (HEEELLLL YEAH)

TOK: B

EE: B

But most importantly, I got to the uni where I wanted and LIFE IS GOOD :)

Huge congratulations to all of us who got the diploma, this is something worth celebrating, no doubt about that! And for those who didn't make it this time... well, I can just imagine how bad it feels...BUT before you go and commit a suicide or something, just wait until the next morning. Cry, be mad, punch holes in walls, do whatever you feel like doing, but just wait 'til the morning. It always sorts things out. And hey, let's face it, theyre just grades. Six numbers and two letters, are you really going to allow them to take control of your life? Are you REALLY? Yeah, I wouldn't, either.

:)

• Like 1

Am I the only IB student in the world who does not have their grade awarded for HL History? I am getting paranoid now

I know that a guy at my school has the same problem. He has a "p" in his grade. They basically told him to wait, since pending means that the IB is deciding on what to do with his grade. I guess the same applies to you :(

What do you mean? Does it show an 'N' instead of a grade?

No it shows a P and my school has never had this happen before.

Wow well done guys on this thread. Even if you didn't get what you wanted, at least the ordeal is now over and you can move on with your lives to brighter, better and happier things than the pain-in-the-behind IB!

In my year, which is many many years ago now, all of my school's higher History results were exactly the same. I think they were delayed by 1.5-2 weeks or so in the end. Just the IBO being too lazy to mark them all in time for the deadline. Unfortunate extra suspense for you but nothing dodgy or implying anything dodgy about your marks... so don't worry!

Math SL - 6

ITGS SL - 5

I'm happy about Math, I seriously was expecting the worst with that one. I mean, I think I left half of each paper blank.

ITGS, not so much. I felt super confident walking out of each exam, and I thought I had a solid 6. I mean, a 5 is fine, but I was expecting higher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Biology HL 6 (Predicted 7) biggest disappointment! Ill remark this

Chemistry HL 6 (Predicted 6) THANK GOD!

Arabic A2 HL 6 (Predicted 7)

Economics SL 7 (Predicted 7) I expected this

Mathematics SL 6 (Predicted 7) I did so well! Ill remark this

English A1SL 6 (Predicted 6) I did so bad on paper 1, I thought I would get a 4!

TOK A (predicted A) Biggest accomplishment!

Arabic B EE D?? (Predicted A) Dont even get me started.

EE/TOK points: 2

Total points: 39 (Predicted 43) Happy but wouldve loved a 40 or aove