Psychology EE

W.Shelton

Alright, it is time to begin my EE and as we are briefed on the steps to take and what not, our coordinator informs us not to do an EE on Psychology. I am very interested in Psychology and was assuming that it would be okay. It would be easier to do a different subject I had been informed and had then decided to do a History EE. Well. Now I am not so sure that I should do a History EE but a Psych. Should I do a Psych EE?

If they're telling you not to do an EE on Psychology, have you asked them why?

For instance if people before you have received very bad grades, it suggests that your supervisor/school doesn't know what they're doing and you will also struggle to do well with bad guidance.

If you don't study Psychology, it's not recommended you do one (it's very specific the criteria that they're after and without having done it as a subject, it's easy to get it wrong).

Potentially also they may have nobody to supervise you.

Obviously do whatever you want as an EE, but it's probably a good idea to find out the reasons WHY you're being given this advice first.

I think that Psychology is definetly harder and you can also find an interesting topic in History. It is harder to find a decent topic.

Read the EE Syllabus, the section where it says what is required for each subject.

As it was posted before, check in your school which subject has better supervisors. You could ask students graduating this year their experiences with their EE topics and supervisors.

• 1 month later...

In my school teachers advice not to write an EE in psychology unless you already have found a topic you find interesting and really want to do more research on, because several students have failed at finding suitable topics earlier.

However if you do have a topic you find interesting I think you should discuss it with the coordinator and the psychology teacher and see what they say. :)

Edited by Katerine

I'm doing my Psychology EE... As well as 11 more people in my year... I had to decide between Chemistry and Psychology. Finally, Psychology won, as the easier one. I don't know if History EE is easier than Psychology... I think it's up to you. What are your interests? Also - have you got any idea for a topic?

As someone who has done a psych EE, I wouldn't suggest it if your school tells you not to. Based on what my SAM has told me, the IB is very particular about what they want in psych EEs, and if you don't have someone who knows what the IB is looking for helping to guide you, it can just turn into one major headache. (Not that EEs aren't major headaches in general.)

I do both history and Psychology, and in my opinion to do your ee in history is much easier (our teacher told us)

however i have done mine in psych and in my opinion in psychology or the topic is really cliche or you end up picking up a very challenging topic :/

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, it is time to begin my EE and as we are briefed on the steps to take and what not, our coordinator informs us not to do an EE on Psychology. I am very interested in Psychology and was assuming that it would be okay. It would be easier to do a different subject I had been informed and had then decided to do a History EE. Well. Now I am not so sure that I should do a History EE but a Psych. Should I do a Psych EE?

As far as I know, Psychology is the most popular EE subject, and I think that's why people (who know anything about IB) might advise you not to do it in Psychology. I would personally not take the chance, and do it in another subject, because after all your coordinator is looking out for your best interests (in most cases at least). Doing an EE in Psychology is very predictable, hence perhaps examiners are more strict, I'm not sure. Either way, I think you should do what you want to do, if you really want to do it in Psychology then take a stance and perhaps it will pay off. I think History is the second most common EE subject hehe :)

Here is a link to a school website for EE criteria and help.

http://www.ohs.rcschools.net/ib/pages/ext_essay.html

I'm doing Psychology and my teachers say that you need to have interest on the subject or you will find it hard to motivate yourself and continue on with the paper. Also, make sure your actual topic is not too uncommon, so that you can ffind sufficient research on the subject, but also a little uncommon to make your personal essay interesting and fresh.

:)

• 11 months later...

Yeah I've heard doing you EE in psychology is quite predictable as quite a lot of people do them on psych... however, our psychology teacher told us that if you can find a good topic (one that is somewhat "new" and not over used persay, such as conformity or the like) you should be fine :) Personally I'm doing my EE in psychology along with about 5 other people from my class! Writing the EE is such a funny process really, it can be such a pain but sometimes its extremely interesting and even fun (gasp :o) Haha just as I finished writing mine I saw ItsSabrinaHey's comment and their basically saying the same thing :) hehe..