Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

I have the exact same problem that IB 2012 had, no matter whether I used +Gx as the x axis or if I used time as the x axis, there is no equation (model) that seems to fit the graph. I really need help. Also my equation is in the ax^b format, is this correct?

indeed all the models are just okay, there's no perfect model.

well yes you can choose to model power equation, with general form ax^b

I only have one simple question..

How long is your IA, cause like half way done and it is not very long.

Asnerw as a comment.

I'm about halfway as well, and I have 6 pages so far. I just type a long introduction & explain a lot. For example, when I was trying to find the model function algebraically, I listed out every step and explained most of it. I heard that more you explain, the higher chances of getting a better grade :P (as long as you aren't saying nonsense and it actually makes sense, of course). It's definitely not hard to make it long!

well yes you can choose to model power equation, with general form ax^b

Okay, I hope I can ask this or post this... Since the power function is um, symmetrical? and extends to the negative part of the x-axis (you know what I mean right? I'm not so great at mathematical technical terms) can I say that the model function, if it is a power function, can only be limited to CERTAIN values of x (to fit the original data points)?

Also, what does it mean by 'discuss the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being'

Edited by holly

Okay, I hope I can ask this or post this... Since the power function is ***** and extends to the negative part of the x-axis (you know what I mean right? I'm not so great at mathematical technical terms) can I say that the model function, if it is a power function, can only be limited to CERTAIN values of x (to fit the original data points)?

it's worth discussing yes, but you need to discuss it correctly. otherwise it's better to not discuss it. hint: relate it to the domain of x that you already defined in the beginning of the task. if the power function doesn't work in values outside the domain, perhaps you could discuss it but state that the model is still valid because only certain values of x (in the domain) are considered. but if the power function doesn't work in values inside the domain, definitely discuss it as a limitation.

Also, what does it mean by 'discuss the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being'

like, if your model has an asymptote, what does it mean in terms of the G force? so the force can't reach that value? or like, if your model has a maximum point, it means there's a maximum value of that force and the force can't be greater than that. all that stuff, you know.

• Like 1

i just want to know if im on the right path with this ia. so far i have:

1. defined variables, parameters etc
  2. plot data point ONLY on a graph without a regression line
  3. then ive drawn a regression line on my 'data point graph', by hand
  4. generated an equation, by hand, implyin breast is power regression
  5. used excel to generate other possible regression lines and found it to be a power regression, confirming my original idea.
  6. compared my calculated equation to the 'excel-generated' one and found that it is v.similar with a difference of about +/- 0.1
  7. plotted graph of the vertical g-force, and thats it so far.

i have a few queries in my works:

1. although i have generated an equation, by hand, for a power regression line, should i do one for another function of the graph,ie logarithmic, and use it as my first model instead?
  2. for wen i am comparing the horizontal model with the vertical model, do i use the model i calculated by hand or by technology?
  3. when describing changes to my first model, cant i just generate the regression equation for the vertical and comment on the diffenerce between the models, rather than transforming the horizontal model?

srry to ask alot of question but im jus unsure if im on the right path as i am one of the first years to undertake ib in my school and its hard for both teachers and myself to know if i am on the right path.

i have a few queries in my works:

1. although i have generated an equation, by hand, for a power regression line, should i do one for another function of the graph,ie logarithmic, and use it as my first model instead?
  2. for wen i am comparing the horizontal model with the vertical model, do i use the model i calculated by hand or by technology?
  3. when describing changes to my first model, cant i just generate the regression equation for the vertical and comment on the diffenerce between the models, rather than transforming the horizontal model?

srry to ask alot of question but im jus unsure if im on the right path as i am one of the first years to undertake ib in my school and its hard for both teachers and myself to know if i am on the right path.

1. you are only asked to model 3 functions:

- one function analytically for Gx

- one function technologically for Gx

- one function, modified from any of the first two, for Gz

you're not supposed to have more functions than required, but oh well it's all up to you. however I do suggest that your first function and your second function are of different types, to show that you know a broad range of functions.

2. whichever fits the Gz better

3. you're supposed to modify any of the functions you've previously done. try to use translation/stretching. if you're very very very very very desperate though you may re-model a new function. but of course you'll get a lesser mark.

Can anyone please post the outline of the type 2. Like in the type 1, someone posted a guide/outline as to what we should include in the portfolio and in order. Thank you

I thought I've posted it, but I can't find it anywhere in this thread :S oh well I'll make it then. I'll get back to you in a bit, I don't have access to the question paper at the moment!

• Like 3

does anyone know how to find the equation that fits the original graph by hand?

im using the general equation for a power function and plugging in x and y values but i can't seem to find an equation. i know how to find it using excel or my graphing calculator but he first step says to do it mathematically.

a(x^b)

hello there!

can anyone help me or send it to me math portfolio G-force tolerance?

I would bee reeally glad!

thank you so much!

P.S. I always made it right till now because I really do not understand the point. Also if someone else would help me and explain in the mean time, I could help you too...

I am so sorry for bothering!

Good luck!

does anyone know how to find the equation that fits the original graph by hand?

im using the general equation for a power function and plugging in x and y values but i can't seem to find an equation. i know how to find it using excel or my graphing calculator but he first step says to do it mathematically.

a(x^b)

that's right. in that case you only need two sets of values of x and y. plug those in to the general equation y=ax^b, and solve for the values of a and b.

hello there!

can anyone help me or send it to me math portfolio G-force tolerance?

I would bee reeally glad!

thank you so much!

P.S. I always made it right till now because I really do not understand the point. Also if someone else would help me and explain in the mean time, I could help you too...

I am so sorry for bothering!

Good luck!

you mean send the question paper?

just ask your questions, and people will try to help.

You can check the thread for graphing software if you don't want to use your graphing calculator. I've also heard of several online/computerized calculators. Excel is good for tables. That's about it. But for the G-Force Portfolio, you need to find the r values (correlation between modeled graph and given points) so you need some way of finding that.

what are r values

i'm a little stuck here, i've found the power function equation that almost matches the original data, how do i revise it? (i'm not in calculus) is trial and error a valid method to use here? if so, how do i explain the trial and error process? if not, what possible ways can i revise my equation?

Secondly, the equation i found is:y=12.5193x^(-0.2274) i graphed this, and the r^2 value was 1 o.o

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a little stuck here, i've found the power function equation that almost matches the original data, how do i revise it? (i'm not in calculus) is trial and error a valid method to use here? if so, how do i explain the trial and error process? if not, what possible ways can i revise my equation?

Secondly, the equation i found is:y=12.5193x^(-0.2274) i graphed this, and the r^2 value was 1 o.o

you can use a discussion of transformations to refine your model and maybe 'measure'how well the model fits