Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

well you may want to google what factors can affect human g-force toleration time and your parameters might represent these factors. but since this isn't explicitly asked in the paper, you don't have to do it. ANYWAY actually just neglect the parameter thing, it's not a big deal. never mind what I said about explaining the constants.

revise if necessary means if in your first model you choose two points and the curve you modelled doesn't really fit well, you can revise your model by re-generating the function using two other points. but if the shape is right, but you just need to shift/translate, or stretch the curve, that's also a revision.

fit does not mean that my model has to go through all the data points given right? but go through nearly all and close to the ones that they don't go through

true. at least the shape must be similar.

haha of course they give different curves, they are different software! lol. if you use another different software you'll also get a different equation. it's just a "best fit curve" anyway as they try to get a curve that nearly passes through as many points as possible, unless the curve passes through EXACTLY all the points then all software will give you the same equation.

just choose the one function that fits your data points better.

if you have other questions just ask. quote me though, otherwise I might not see your post.

Thank you so much Desy!

just choose the one function that fits your data points better.

revise if necessary means if in your first model you choose two points and the curve you modelled doesn't really fit well, you can revise your model by re-generating the function using two other points. but if the shape is right, but you just need to shift/translate, or stretch the curve, that's also a revision.

So i did try different points and put them on the graph but i don't know which graph to pick!!!Because even when i zoomed to each point the nearly all functions when through most of the points....So how do i know whether my model does actuall "fit" and so i don;t neeed to revise the model

And for the section part "what changes, if any, need to be made to your model" thats through alebraically solving for (by the general formula and subtituting in method right? and i could use technology for support right?

btw, does anybody know how to insert an function to a data in excel? Coz in the assignment it says "on set of new axis drraw your medel function and the original data", i plotted the data but can't insert my function into excel? (is it okat to use 2 softwares because excel does R^2 value and regression but my graph does inserting fuction so would i be able to just explain that i had to use 2 programs?)

ASAP reply will be very much appreciated coz mine is due 2morrow T...T

Edited by 0.o

okay true.

mmm can +Gx and t be 0? can they be -7? can they be 8.3? can they be -20.3? can they be π? etc.

it's like stating the domains of +Gx (and +Gz) and t.

you're supposed to model a function by hand for the very first part. use your knowledge of functions (lol) to model one algebraically. start with the general formula and substitute in values of t and +Gx.

Hey Desy!

Im sorry for asking so many question but im commenting on my data to my function and when i look at it from like 100% ZOOM it looks like it passes through all points except 1 but when i zoom like 400% it misses like 3 more points. Would i comment like just then or "revise" my graph?

Thank u very much 4 the help!

okay true.

mmm can +Gx and t be 0? can they be -7? can they be 8.3? can they be -20.3? can they be π? etc.

you're supposed to model a function by hand for the very first part. use your knowledge of functions (lol) to model one algebraically. start with the general formula and substitute in values of t and +Gx.

Hey Desy!

Im sorry for asking so many question but im commenting on my data to my function and when i look at it from like 100% ZOOM it looks like it passes through all points except 1 but when i zoom like 400% it misses like 3 more points. Would i comment like just then or "revise" my graph?

How close does the data seem to your function, and can you get a closer fit by playing around with it? Given that you're rounding parameters off to the hundredths, I don't think you can (and I sure didn't) get all data points covered on this one. One thing to try is putting your points in excel (put x-values in A, actual-y in B, model-y in C, deviation in D) and seeing how much they deviate, which, in Excel, would be Dn=ABS(Bn - Cn). If the total deviation is more than, let's say, 20, then maybe you should look at revising your model and using other points to develop it.

okay true.

Hey Desy!

How close does the data seem to your function, and can you get a closer fit by playing around with it? Given that you're rounding parameters off to the hundredths, I don't think you can (and I sure didn't) get all data points covered on this one. One thing to try is putting your points in excel (put x-values in A, actual-y in B, model-y in C, deviation in D) and seeing how much they deviate, which, in Excel, would be Dn=ABS(Bn - Cn). If the total deviation is more than, let's say, 20, then maybe you should look at revising your model and using other points to develop it.

I tried on my graph and got a better function i don't seem to get closer by picking different points....and i don't understand wat you meant by "model-y in C, deviation in D" i don't know what to do now, could i get some tips on what do now please? thank you!

Thank you so much Desy!

no problem

So i did try different points and put them on the graph but i don't know which graph to pick!!!Because even when i zoomed to each point the nearly all functions when through most of the points....So how do i know whether my model does actuall "fit" and so i don;t neeed to revise the model

I don't think one could ever get a perfect graph, so what you should do right now is you DON'T NEED to zoom in the graph or anything, just look at it in its normal size (the size it'll appear in your paper) and choose one that looks best. you DON'T NEED to get a function that passes exactly through all the points, but at least the shape is there and its shape is similar to the shape made by your data points.

And for the section part "what changes, if any, need to be made to your model" thats through alebraically solving for (by the general formula and subtituting in method right? and i could use technology for support right?

I'm not very sure but if possible try using translation or stretching. technology can always be used in all parts unless they emphasise that you need to do it analytically or algebraically.

btw, does anybody know how to insert an function to a data in excel? Coz in the assignment it says "on set of new axis drraw your medel function and the original data", i plotted the data but can't insert my function into excel? (is it okat to use 2 softwares because excel does R^2 value and regression but my graph does inserting fuction so would i be able to just explain that i had to use 2 programs?)

it would be best to use one same program. I know how to insert 2 functions but I can't guarantee that you'll understand my explanation.

plot the first graph first. on that graph, right click on the data points, then select data/edit series or something (I forgot, will check later) and then you can click add series. you can add as many graphs as you like by adding the series.

Hey Desy!

Im sorry for asking so many question

it's okay

but im commenting on my data to my function and when i look at it from like 100% ZOOM it looks like it passes through all points except 1

good, just pick that one graph.

but when i zoom like 400% it misses like 3 more points.

nobody cares, seriously. the examiner or your teacher will not be able to zoom in 400% in your paper, nor will they care to use a magnifier for that.

Would i comment like just then or "revise" my graph?

just say that the graph fits your data points, passes through all points but one.

you're welcome

Given that you're rounding parameters off to the hundredths, I don't think you can (and I sure didn't) get all data points covered on this one.

good point (Y)

One thing to try is putting your points in excel (put x-values in A, actual-y in B, model-y in C, deviation in D) and seeing how much they deviate, which, in Excel, would be Dn=ABS(Bn - Cn). If the total deviation is more than, let's say, 20, then maybe you should look at revising your model and using other points to develop it.

that isn't very important actually. they don't really care how accurate your model is. as long as you are able to do the math correctly and you get the shape right, they will be happy already.

I tried on my graph and got a better function i don't seem to get closer by picking different points....and i don't understand wat you meant by "model-y in C, deviation in D" i don't know what to do now, could i get some tips on what do now please? thank you!

Let's say you get {5.00, 12.00, 3.00} as the values from your model function (way off, but I'm just picking random numbers).

So C1=5.00,C2=12.00,C3=3.00; D1=ABS(B1-C1); D2=ABS(B2-C2); and so on. I realise that I'm not being clear, but it's been a long time since I've done this portfolio, and I guess, Desy's right, accuracy doesn't necessarily matter a whole lot.

that isn't very important actually. they don't really care how accurate your model is. as long as you are able to do the math correctly and you get the shape right, they will be happy already.

I guess. My teacher marked us on how close it modelled it, though, so I'm not necessarily sure... He had an actual range of acceptable functions or something. e.g. you'd lose marks if it wasn't the right type of function, and so on. For that reason, I cranked out more words than is acceptable on an EE and made sure to address everything :P.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, but:

1. When the task says, "Define appropriate variables and parameters, and identify any constraints for the data," does this refer to the limitations of the numbers (in terms of a domain/range)? What else must I include for that part?

2. After the first set of data (+Gx), it asks to "Create an equation that fits the graph," but the task later asks to "Use technology to find another function that models the data." What am I supposed to do for the second part? Do I have to create another equation using exponential/some other function form, or does it simply refer to a revised model?

3. Does the model for +Gx have to be the same as the model for +Gz by the end of the portfolio? I'm having a hard time interpreting the task ><

1. When the task says, "Define appropriate variables and parameters, and identify any constraints for the data," does this refer to the limitations of the numbers (in terms of a domain/range)? What else must I include for that part?

Define your variables e.g. let +Gx be the horizontal gravitational force acting on human being and let t be the time for which human being can tolerate such force.

You can state the domain of the time. since it's +Gx you can also state the domain of the G-force.

When you generate a function, state the domain. And limitations if any.

2. After the first set of data (+Gx), it asks to "Create an equation that fits the graph," but the task later asks to "Use technology to find another function that models the data." What am I supposed to do for the second part? Do I have to create another equation using exponential/some other function form, or does it simply refer to a revised model?

For the first part you create a function algebraically. Using mathematical working. Then for the second part just plot the data on your calculator or on a graphing software and get the best fit function (can be of any function, can be same as yours or different).

3. Does the model for +Gx have to be the same as the model for +Gz by the end of the portfolio? I'm having a hard time interpreting the task ><

No it doesn't.

Thank you so much for your help, Desy!

One last question: At the end of the task, it gives data points for human toleration of vertical acceleration and asks how well the first trendline fits the data. It then asks what should be changed to best fit the second set of data (+Gz). Should I use technology or algebraic methods (or both) to find a best fit line? Or should I do something else?

Thank you so much for your help, Desy!

One last question: At the end of the task, it gives data points for human toleration of vertical acceleration and asks how well the first trendline fits the data. It then asks what should be changed to best fit the second set of data (+Gz). Should I use technology or algebraic methods (or both) to find a best fit line? Or should I do something else?

you're welcome! :)

up to you, whichever method you think is easier or faster. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got this IA and its due next week and I have a few questions... If anyone can help me out, that'd be great!

1.)For the constraints, both x (g-force) and y (time) have to be greater than or equal to 0 correct and that's it?

2.) After manually finding a general statement, it doesn't match the one found by my calculator, especially my value for a... I used the points (11,1) and (6,10). Manually I got a = 1.1496 and b = -5.9555 but with technology a = 13577.9813 and b= -3.974. Maybe I did something wrong with my math, I don't know...

3.)How do I two graphs on one plot sheet in excel for comparing my equation with the technology found one?

And I think that is it! Thanks to whoever can help me with this!! :)

1. that's right. and I think time has to be positive integer.

2. just plot what you got. if it fits your data points, who cares if it's the same with what your calculator gives you? all graphing softwares and calculators do it differently I think. there's no set answer.

3. you cannot plot a function in excel. yes it sucks. use your GDC or get Autograph.

good luck!

• Like 1

1. that's right. and I think time has to be positive integer.

2. just plot what you got. if it fits your data points, who cares if it's the same with what your calculator gives you? all graphing softwares and calculators do it differently I think. there's no set answer.

3. you cannot plot a function in excel. yes it sucks. use your GDC or get Autograph.

good luck!

1.) Okay thanks, I have that stated

2.) Okay... I hope i did it correctly anyway

3.) I've been looking for autograph but all the download links are dead and I dont use torrents... :( if i take pictures of my GDC with my phone camera, that would be acceptable?

lol you are so funny XD if you have TI calculator you should have the cable to connect it to your computer and you can either download the software for your computer from the internet or from the CD (if it's given when you bought it) so you can take screenshots from there :D

or just download the original 30 days trial Autograph... or perhaps try Geogebra? though Autograph is a lot better (that's why it's not free!)

• Like 1

lol you are so funny XD if you have TI calculator you should have the cable to connect it to your computer and you can either download the software for your computer from the internet or from the CD (if it's given when you bought it) so you can take screenshots from there :D

or just download the original 30 days trial Autograph... or perhaps try Geogebra? though Autograph is a lot better (that's why it's not free!)

Our teacher doesnt trust us with the chords, the school supplied the calculators haha. I'll start searching for these programs thanks! I may come back with more questions...