Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

lol you are so funny XD if you have TI calculator you should have the cable to connect it to your computer and you can either download the software for your computer from the internet or from the CD (if it's given when you bought it) so you can take screenshots from there :D

or just download the original 30 days trial Autograph... or perhaps try Geogebra? though Autograph is a lot better (that's why it's not free!)

Our teacher doesnt trust us with the chords, the school supplied the calculators haha. I'll start searching for these programs thanks! I may come back with more questions...

I cant really help you with your IA, but just to add to this point, the cords that are supplied are usually just microUSB cables (or at least they were for our TI calculators). If the port on your TI calculator is just a microUSB port, then you can just connect the one that came with say, a digital camera or a phone (some kids in our cohort did this before we received the cables).

And Geogebra isnt half bad, I really liked it :P

really? I got TI-Nspire (it's the only thing we had in the school shop...) and I got two cables, which I don't know what they're called, but one is to connect a TI with another TI (to unlock the press-to-test exam mode thing) and the other one is to connect TI with a computer (to use with the software).

1.) How many functions do I need by the end?

For Horizontal

There is the function I found mathematically

The one I found technologically

The one for 'find another function' found either mathematically or technologically

For Vertical

There is only one function to find and technoligcally

2.) Also, I feel dumb asking this... but how do I do power regression on the GDC, I know its Stat<Calc<PwrReg but the value for 'r' does not appear...

3.) 'Revising my model'... what? I have to redo my work or just rechange the equation... doesn't make sense.

4.) For vertical, I use the equation i mathematically found to compare to the vertical one?

This is all for now, thanks to whoever helps.... I really appreciate it!

1. two functions for horizontal (one created analytically, one using technology) and one function for vertical (revised from your previous model)

2. sorry I don't know... in my TI though I can't show the R^2 value thing that you can see in excel. it's not very crucial actually.

3. for which part? for the first one when they said revise your model if necessary? actually yes... if the graph doesn't fit then yes you restart the whole thing. but only if necessary. for the second one when they said what changes if any need to be made, yes you need to revise your model.

4. choose from either the one you modelled mathematically or technologically

• Like 1

1. two functions for horizontal (one created analytically, one using technology) and one function for vertical (revised from your previous model)

2. sorry I don't know... in my TI though I can't show the R^2 value thing that you can see in excel. it's not very crucial actually.

3. for which part? for the first one when they said revise your model if necessary? actually yes... if the graph doesn't fit then yes you restart the whole thing. but only if necessary. for the second one when they said what changes if any need to be made, yes you need to revise your model.

4. choose from either the one you modelled mathematically or technologically

Okay, I am still confused in the Horizontal part where it says:

'On a new set of axes, draw your model function, and the original data points. Comment on any differences. Revise your model if necessary. Discuss the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being.'

I understand the last part, but I still don't understand what i need to do for the first part. Am i supposed to show the graph I got mathematically and then re-do the math again to get new points that will be hopefully closer? And if not just discuss why again, and if it is, discuss why these led to better results?

And here:

'Use technology to find another function that models the data. On a new set of axes, draw your model function and the function you found using technology. Comment on any differences.'

I understand I already have two functions, but this is where I think a third is needed to be found to compare to the validity of why which one is better and why the r^2 values come in place. Or did i misinterpret?

Help... these are the last two sections in this IA I have left to due before I fully devote myself to my Type I

'On a new set of axes, draw your model function, and the original data points. Comment on any differences. Revise your model if necessary. Discuss the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being.'

so this function you mathematically got, plot it. but not on a new graph. plot it on the original data points to see whether it fits. it can't be done in excel so get a GDC or graphing software.

comment on how well it fits your data points. does the shape fit? any point that doesn't fit the curve?

if your model doesn't fit use data points so badly, revise your model i.e. make changes to it like translation or stretching but no need to restart unless very necessary.

then from the shape of the graph, explain the effect of g force and time e.g. as g force increases, time increases but be specific and meticulous!

'Use technology to find another function that models the data. On a new set of axes, draw your model function and the function you found using technology. Comment on any differences.'

before this stage you only have one function: the mathematically modelled one. you use technology to automatically generate a function, then you plot this on the same axes with the mathematical model and with the original data points. then you compare your two models.

I understand I already have two functions, but this is where I think a third is needed to be found to compare to the validity of why which one is better and why the r^2 values come in place. Or did i misinterpret?

I don't understand what you mean sorry :S

• Like 1

so this function you mathematically got, plot it. but not on a new graph. plot it on the original data points to see whether it fits. it can't be done in excel so get a GDC or graphing software.

comment on how well it fits your data points. does the shape fit? any point that doesn't fit the curve?

if your model doesn't fit use data points so badly, revise your model i.e. make changes to it like translation or stretching but no need to restart unless very necessary.

then from the shape of the graph, explain the effect of g force and time e.g. as g force increases, time increases but be specific and meticulous!

before this stage you only have one function: the mathematically modelled one. you use technology to automatically generate a function, then you plot this on the same axes with the mathematical model and with the original data points. then you compare your two models.

I don't understand what you mean sorry :S

Okay... the first FINALLY makes sense now! Thanks :) I was getting confused cause I put the first two questions together in an explanation and somehow it didn't click for me...

Which means the last area I was having trouble with makes sense where there are two functions for horizontal. Cool :)

Thank you so much for your help here! I just got my Type I left (which i regret leaving for the last three days before its due... thank god for weekends haha!)

hey you sure you understand though? :S is everything clear now?

if you need help or clarification just come here, I'm likely to be around today. good luck with the other IA!! :D

Yeahh what I did was put the first two parts together, thinking that was what I had to do mathematically. Than use technology for the part I was confused on and THAN get another function other than what I have found already....

Go me for getting it! I can do math haha!

Edited by B2theRich
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm doing something very similar to a power equation and yet I'm getting no negative values using my GDC and when using Graphmatica, but I do when using Wolfram Alpha. This wouldn't be the first time I've submitted a correction to Wolfram Alpha, yet I feel uneasy about it.

If my equation has x enclosed in a root and there are no negative translational values, there shouldn't be negative values , correct?

Ah, it's just the discrepancy between some of my technology sources that's bothering me. Wolfram Alpha says the graph has negative x values, while my GDC and Graphmatica only show the line in quadrant 1.

And yes, my points are accurate I think? If all the points are within 1 of the desired value, is that accurate enough?

Thanks.