Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

What does it mean by " interpret" K, L and M.

I found values for them but have no clue what they mean.

K = 1943.183708

L = 2.619019043

M = -0.0333213675

How did you get to them?

Graphing calculator bro. someone explained it pretty well already:

If you have a GDC like TI-83 or TI-84 this should be easy. Go to STATS then then click on edit and enter all the data that was given. The years are too large and makes it harder to graph so you can input 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45. These are the exact intervals as the years so the accuracy is fine. After you enter both the year and population value quit and then go back to STATS. Go across to CALC then scroll down all the way to logistic...which is B I believe then press enter then put L1 and L2. Then waalaa you have your parameters.

I followed that exactly except I used 1955, 1960... for the years and didnt start at t=0. I find it makes the graphs easier to understand and this way you can get excel to make you a log trendline.

And people who have done this already/are doing it can you please explain what you did to analytically develop your model. Personally I plan on talking about as many functions as possible (linear, exponential, poly, log, sine...w/e) and just stating their limitations/scope...But I'm having some trouble deciding which ONE to develop 'analytically'.

Edited by Marsupilami

I might be wrong, but as far as I know and from what other people already wrote in this thread, the cubic and exponential are best for the analytical part.

My teacher has told us to do the matrices although all my friends say that they work only for the fourth degree...

Idk... I'm personally still working on it and I am truly pissed off because I still don't know how poor I did in my previous one since it hasn't been graded yet. (handed it in a YEAR ago!) So I can't evaluate my mistakes:(

God save the IB.

In order to look for patterns I did a graph which tells me how much the population changes for 5 years each. However I do not know what this represents? How can I add this to my evaluation or analysis?

HELP!!!

You can talk about how the graph helped you see the change in data. Im not too far into the portfolio and undecided on what to use. But For example, you can say you know it is not linear if the values go up 50, then 53, then 58, 66, 57,60, 90, 88 ... because the graph you constructed does not have all the values line up or get close to lining up in a vertical direction. You can also do this for other functions based on their characteristics which you have learned.

My question is I know that you can use matrices to solve this but what method would one use? Could anyone give me an example on howI could solve for the values? i am currently thinking of doing some sort of polynomial function. The inverse method wont work as they are not square matrixs. As well, using a polynomial 9 function in my opinion is not the smartest idea and i know i can use inverse method with that but it seems illogical. (no offence to anyone that did).

I am working on the same portfolio.

I have no idea how to "use technology to estimate and interpret K L and M. I have heard that I should use matrices to get the value of KLM but i have no idea how to do that. When I look at this portfolio I am lost. I have no idea how to approach anything. ITs due monday.

Please help.

I am working on the same portfolio.

I have no idea how to "use technology to estimate and interpret K L and M. I have heard that I should use matrices to get the value of KLM but i have no idea how to do that. When I look at this portfolio I am lost. I have no idea how to approach anything. ITs due monday.

Please help.

Hey you must have a GDC graphical calculator, if you do have it then use it to do this question-- BTW the GDC is considered technology---- check post number 51 to see how to do it with the GDC.

Hope this helped

GOD. I'm done:D And it's due tomorrow :D

So since I know first hand how hell-like it was, I will be more than happy to help anyone who needs some tips. I must highlight that I do not know whether I did it ok, but I think any help is still better than no help at all?:sadnod:

Edited by Mahuta ♥

Hey, I am working on the same portfolio. And I would really appreciate it if someone would help me, my portfolio is due in a couple of days.

I came across few things which I had trouble with.

First of all, in the researcher's part can K, L, M be solved without the use of technology? if so, then how?

Also I have been wondering at the end of the portfolio what is meant by "modify the model that best fits the IMF data, so that applied to all the given data from 1950 to 2008" ?

what do they exactly mean by that?

Well, I assume your in IB so you have a GDC. Try plotting the function using GDC, someone has already explained how to do it in some previous post...

as for the second question, it's just about changing the function so it looks good on the graph with the points;) That's what my teacher told us so I reckon I can post it here:)

She told us that we can manipulate with the parameters:)

I hope it helped :sadnod:

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak

Well, I assume u'r in IB so u have a GDC. Try plotting the function using GDC, someone has already explained how to do it in some previous post...

as for the second question, it's just about changing the function so it looks good on the graph with the points;) That's what my teacher told us so I reckon I can post it here:)

She told us that we can manipulate with the parameters:)

I hope it helped :sadnod:

Thanks for the info.

Although regarding to your answer to my first question;

I already read that post, but I heard some of the students saying that there could be another way(s) to find K,L,M OTHER than the use of technology. Now I am not sure if that works.

But assuming it does, how could they be found?

Some previous posts stated that they could involve matrices to find those values, the thing is how/whats the method of doing that?

And yes I know that I can use GDC to solve matrices but how does this case apply regarding matrices? or if there is any other way to solve K,L,M?

I don't know, maybe there is but as far as I remember the instruction specifically tells you to DO it using a technology. so why bother analytically? believe me, there is yet plenty to be done, don't make it even more complicated;)

well, i hope that explaining how to use a GDC is not by the rules so here it is:

1. firstly clear all lists from memory(that's not compulsory but my teacher always says to do so)

• then go to stat, from there to edit and just plug in the data from the table instruction has

• then 2nd quit

• then again stat and you have to move to the calc submenu there

• now you have a list of functions so just choose one you want and click enter

• you will be in the mail window and there should be some function name inserted

• click 2nd and L1(under1)
  • comma
  • click 2nd L2(under 2)
  • comma

• go yo vars and submenu y-vars and choose function and then y1

• enter

that should do the trick:)

from there you will manage to SEE the values of K, L and M;)

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No text speak!-Thanks
  • Like 1

hey people

I am new on this forum. I would be highly obliged if you all could help me out with my portfolio task-2

I mainly need help how to form graphs and the k,l and m parameter.

thanking you all in advance.

my deadline is 3rd January.

anyone online ??

if anyone could help me as soon as possible!

i would be highly obliged.

i desperately need help because i am clueless as well as i am bad in maths IA

i got a 6 in my terminals thought this task is very hard for me..

how should i begin?? :P :-(

Hi everyone my due date is tonight at 0:00. I would love some help. I been trying different graphs and I started by putting the data into excel and put out the points. I then did as I think someone earlier in the thread suggest and put out a trend-line where I just tried different functions til I found one that fit my data points. The function I got was a polynom function 6..or order six? My program is in Swedish and we haven't been doing this sort of math yet. Could someone please explain what this means.

I also want to try the logistic function which someone was talking about and the sin function, but I can't graph them in excel, does anyone have a good way of doing this?

I am struggling on finding a software that will graph the Logistic function. Everytime i try to graph it, it always ends up giving me a reciprocal function no matter where i graph it. Can anybody help me with this? I have tried using Graphmatica and Geogebra and I am not getting anything from them.

As well, I do not know how i can create an equation good enough using matrices. All i can do is use the number of values that i am making the polynomial function and therefore it will not incorporate all of the values and the equation i get is WAY off compared to what excel is giving me.

Can you guys please help me as soon as possible. I have been working on this for a bit over a week and i am really confused as it is due soon. Thanks in advance.

Hello everybody,

I got this Portfolio before the christmas break and our teacher more or less let us deal with it without giving us any tips whatsoever.

So now (two days before school starts) I realized I still need to do this...

I'll just list what my problems are (basically everything) :

- variables and parameters?

- 'develop' one model function?

- how do I use technology for this?

.. I have a T.I 84 and a macbook with grapher and autograph on it..

but somehow I just won't figure it out.

Yes, go with grids :) It looks better like this :) Btw I used the same program and it was very helpful. If you have any problems I can help, since I finnished that portfolio already. I must say that the use of technology was pretty hard, so if you need anything I'm willing to help :) Good luck :)

Which program was that? i am currently looking for a good program to use

Thanks