Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask XD

Got 19/20 points on it.

19/20 is incredible!

how did you get full marks for technology?? could you let me now what kind of applications you use...?

thank youuu!

Hi there, if i use matrix to find a,b,c and d, how do i plot that into a graph?? any idea please??? i m stuck with the question where it says, analytically develop one model function that fits the data points on your graph. On a new set of axes, plot your model and the original data.Commen on how well your model fits the original data.

thank you!

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No text speak please!
  • Like 1

I have this portfolio due on monday, however, I can't do it with ti n spire, because it shows me an error that I can't identify while using the quadratic model

linSolve

(system(

1950=(554.8)^(4)*a+(554.8)^(3)*b+(554.8)^(2)*c+554.8*d+e,

1960=(657.5)^(4)*a+(657.5)^(3)*b+(657.5)^(2)*c+657.5*d+e,

1970=(830.7)^(4)*a+(830.7)^(3)*b+(830.7)^(2)*c+830.7*d+e,

1980=(998.9)^(4)*a+(998.9)^(3)*b+(998.9)^(2)*c+998.9*d+e,

1995=(1220.5)^(4)*a+(1220.5)^(3)*b+(1220.5)^(2)*c+1220.5*d+e),{a,b,c,d,e})

and it says, that it's not possible to find a solution, what did I do wrong?

(I copied this directly from the calculator, so if it looks weird, it's for that just notice how I wrote the equations)

why did you do that for? Is it to determine the parameters? Help me.

hey, you put the data in wrong place. x= years, and y= population

chance the place of your years and population,

Nevermind the question before—I have a more pressing concern.

Is there supposed to be a lot of slaving over algebra and matrices and all that involved in analytically developing one model function? Do they want me to do fancy stuff with numbers? Because honestly, I got all the equations and graphs I needed with the click of a mouse, and I'm frightened by how easy it has been. Was I supposed to have taken a more complex approach?

Is there supposed to be a lot of slaving over algebra and matrices and all that involved in analytically developing one model function? Do they want me to do fancy stuff with numbers? Because honestly, I got all the equations and graphs I needed with the click of a mouse, and I'm frightened by how easy it has been. Was I supposed to have taken a more complex approach?

It is about slaving, the mouse clicking and technology is for the second part where it is supposed to be easier. However, I have not been able to figure this part out yet, algebra is definitely involved, and matrices are as well.

I think the variables here would be year and population in millions. Parameters might include greater than or equal to and less than or equal to signs. I'm guessing this question is there, right before the point where you graph it, to help you limit the axis to go from say 500 million to 1250 million, to make it a visible graph (it would be silly to have the years from 0 to 2000 for example). This is just a raw guess thought.. either way, the brunt of the portfolio seems to lie in the actual modelling. I would not spend too much time working on this particular part.

For reference, the term brunt is used when referring to an assault versus the main concept you were trying to convey.

I think the variables here would be year and population in millions. Parameters might include greater than or equal to and less than or equal to signs. I'm guessing this question is there, right before the point where you graph it, to help you limit the axis to go from say 500 million to 1250 million, to make it a visible graph (it would be silly to have the years from 0 to 2000 for example). This is just a raw guess thought.. either way, the brunt of the portfolio seems to lie in the actual modelling. I would not spend too much time working on this particular part.

For reference, the term brunt is used when referring to an assault versus the main concept you were trying to convey.

Let me google that for you...

In case your link-clicking capacity is also not up to standard:

"The full adverse effects of; the chief consequences or negative results of a thing or event; The major part of; the bulk"

• Like 1

One possible method to analytically develop a model is to use a sin graph. Match the different variables to the trends shown in the data.

but if I go for a logestic function? it would fit great? or can I use that?

Help please!!!

Hi can you please tell me how to do the sin graph???

thanks

It is about slaving, the mouse clicking and technology is for the second part where it is supposed to be easier. However, I have not been able to figure this part out yet, algebra is definitely involved, and matrices are as well.

I was talking to my teachers today and they said the same thing, about how it's the process that matters. I knew it was all too good to be true. :|

And lmao. Well-aimed, Daedalus.

Edited by Miraine

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask :)

Got 19/20 points on it.

19/20 is incredible!

how did you get full marks for technology?? could you let me now what kind of applications you use...?

thank youuu!

Hi there, if i use matrix to find a,b,c and d, how do i plot that into a graph?? any idea please??? i m stuck with the question where it says, analytically develop one model function that fits the data points on your graph. On a new set of axes, plot your model and the original data.Commen on how well your model fits the original data.

thank you!

Congratulations! I'm so jealous!!

Can you help me out? I'm kinda stuck. What does it mean when the ask us to define all relevant variables and constraints clearly?

And when the say develop a model, can we get the equation using our GDCs?

i have found two models that for the analytical development part. can anyone tell me how to find the coefficient of determination? R2? I need a simple

formula
that i can understand :|

Er, I thought you can just get R2 from the graph (if you use excel)? Just in case if you don't know how to, right-click the trendline, format trendline, display R-squared value on chart, close. Sorry if it's not what you were asking because I'm not doing this portfolio..

Hello to everybody!

I am nearly finished with this one, only wondering whether it is better to include graphs that show grids or ones that do not. Does that makes any difference whatsoever?

grids.png

hi,

did you choose a logistic graph straight away when looking at the data points or did you choose something different and then change when you saw the researchers model?

Hello! Is this graph a logistic graph??

thanks a lot

I need help with this IA step by step. This is my first IA and it's due on Friday. I'm in need of urgent help.

You need to specify exactly what you need help in. No one can give you step by step tutoring, everyone has their own IAs to do and barely find the time to finish their own work.

Try to work it out yourself with all the help that is already in this topic. If there is something specific you don't understand that is stopping you from working it out, we're to help. :)

Hi. I'm having trouble simply developing the model. I've graphed the data using different line fits on MS Excel (linear, power, exponential). That was right, right? The linear one seems like the best fit but the graph doesn't increase at a constant rate. So I guess I will go for the exponential one. But I don't understand how to "analytically develop a function". Where should I start? Like the very first 2 steps as a little prod.

I've used 2 programs which were both great, easy and applicable. Not sure though, if I'm allowed to recommend them, so I'll wait (:

Hi, Since you seem to be pleased with the programs you used, could you let me know which ones they were? Having trouble finding good programs myself so it would be really helpful! thanks!