Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

Thanks! I now realize exponential's not the best. So, I'm using cubic for my model. When they say "analytically develop one model function", can we use regression to find the equation or do we have to use matrices? If its matrices, I'm screwed because I don't understand it :S

I can't stress this enough: ANALYTICALLY means ALGEBRAICALLY, WITHOUT TECHNOLOGY!!!

so NO you can't simply use regression.

Hey everyone,

when it says "what types of functions could model the behaviour of the graph" how many different types of functions should i show?

also, can i still use logistic as one model function even though it's given later in the assignment?

i'd appreciate any help or advice on this :)

thank youuuuuu!

Hey everyone,

when it says "what types of functions could model the behaviour of the graph" how many different types of functions should i show?

also, can i still use logistic as one model function even though it's given later in the assignment?

thank youuuuuu!

You just need to name a couple, and give reasons why they would work. And no, you can't use logistic, that's for the later bit :)

how do i graph the logistic function on excel??!?!?!?!?!

if not, are there any other graphing softwares i can use ?????????

someone reply asap! please!

You can't graph it on Excel sadly... but try GeoGebra, it works great! :D

Hey everyone,

thank youuuuuu!

You just need to name a couple, and give reasons why they would work. And no, you can't use logistic, that's for the later bit :)

for the graphs, can i name cubic and quartic, and describe the pros and cons?

also, i was planning to do exponential and logistic. if i cant include logistic anymore, should i just stop with exponential and keep that as my main graph?

Also! cubic has a stronger r2 value than exponential. and i show this in my portfolio. if i were to use exponential as my model function, is it alright if the r2 value says its not as accurate?

thanks once again :)

Edited by sk2801

Desssyy!!!! I need your help! Ive tried doing a quartic function and all, double checked, done matrices and everything and its not looking like the graph its supposed to, it starts normal then it plummets up! and i get an equation that is totally wrong, what have i done wrong? Ive double checked EVERYTHING

Did you find out how to fix the plummet??? I have the same problem (my equation works well for the first 8 points but then plummets down before the 9th point and 10th point, and i followed the guide precisely so I dont know what im doing wrong!!! If anyone could help me id be so grateful !!!!!

Hey everyone,

thank youuuuuu!

also, i was planning to do exponential and logistic. if i cant include logistic anymore, should i just stop with exponential and keep that as my main graph?

Yeah you can name them, and talk about why you think they would model the data well (like how it curves like an S shape, similar to cubics). The thing is... exponential really isn't very good at all. Have you tried graphing exponential and different polynomials? When I did this, cubic and quartic and higher degree polynomials were much better fits for the data, so I wouldn't use exponential as your "main graph". Good luck! :)

Hey everyone,

thank youuuuuu!

Yeah you can name them, and talk about why you think they would model the data well (like how it curves like an S shape, similar to cubics). The thing is... exponential really isn't very good at all. Have you tried graphing exponential and different polynomials? When I did this, cubic and quartic and higher degree polynomials were much better fits for the data, so I wouldn't use exponential as your "main graph". Good luck! :)

I tried to use quartic and cubic as well, but they plummeted down before the 9th and 10th point. Did you use the matrices to find your equations or some other method?

Hey everyone,

thank youuuuuu!

Thank you soooooooo much!

i appreciate the help

Hey everyone,

thank youuuuuu!

I tried to use quartic and cubic as well, but they plummeted down before the 9th and 10th point. Did you use the matrices to find your equations or some other method?

i used regression to find my equations...............thats why i think cubic might not be the best fit, and exponential might be better :S

im not quite sure anymore..

Hey everyone,

thank youuuuuu!

i used regression to find my equations...............thats why i think cubic might not be the best fit, and exponential might be better :S

im not quite sure anymore..

what do u mean by plummeted? did you substitute the points back into the equation to double check?

Can someone help with "what types of functions could model the behavior of the graph?" i find it hard to find a equation that wouldnt be possible to fit this model

think about whats best for population. Maybe, not all the functions you are thinking of, is viable for population growth.

hope that helps :D

does anyone know how to edit the axises on geogebra? as in so its not increasing from 0-10-20 or anything steadily on a scale but more like it jumps straight to 0 to 1950, 1955, 1960?

I really need the y axis to be on the graph too, but if it increases on a scale, it definitly wont be in the screen shot.

also, whats the best software for graphing for this assignment? geogebra seems so complicated ! would appreciate any reply !