Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

Hi all,

I was wondering what difference it would make in the values of k,l and m in the logistic function if the x variable which is in years is set as follows:

1950 is set as 0, 1955 set as 5 etc.?

What would be the consequence?

there is no consequence. if you make the years small integer values, you gotta do something to the polynomial you generate (hint: horizontal translation) so when you expand the brackets you'll get the same equation and when you plot it, it gives the data as in the table.

Hi everyone!

I'm working with the coursework right now and i'm just wondering if there's some kind of wordlimit? I'm having trouble finding the balance between not being explicit enough and making it "overworked"...

Read somewhere about a student getting 20/20 points and wrote like 40% more than his/her Extended Essay. Maybe I'm wrong but to me this seems kind of overworked..

Hi everyone!

I'm working with the coursework right now and i'm just wondering if there's some kind of wordlimit? I'm having trouble finding the balance between not being explicit enough and making it "overworked"...

Read somewhere about a student getting 20/20 points and wrote like 40% more than his/her Extended Essay. Maybe I'm wrong but to me this seems kind of overworked..

there's no word limit, but I think you should write about 15-25 pages. that depends on how big your graphs and tables are, though. and font size, spacing etc

there's no word limit, but I think you should write about 15-25 pages. that depends on how big your graphs and tables are, though. and font size, spacing etc

How did you "revise" your model? I'm trying different things, but in the end I'm only getting worse off than what I first started with.

lol XD you can try translation and stretch. or, just find a new function (start modelling everything all over) (you may choose to do it analytically or technologically)

Basically, all I did was subtract like 0.0000004 from the g term. Not sure if that's substantial enough though.

Edit:

Also, according to our teacher trying a new function is bad, bad, bad.

Edited by DKMikey

lol XD you can try translation and stretch. or, just find a new function (start modelling everything all over) (you may choose to do it analytically or technologically)

Basically, all I did was subtract like 0.0000004 from the g term. Not sure if that's substantial enough though.

Edit:

Also, according to our teacher trying a new function is bad, bad, bad.

from the g term? what g?

ahah yesss trying a new function is bad, but if one is desperate then that's better than nothing at all :P

when is due? mind me replying a bit later (like 4 hours later)?

"Comment on how well this model fits the original data."

What sorts of comments should I be making here? Is it adequate just to say which points/years don't fit the line and hence are discrepancies in the data? And that the model seems to fit the data closely, more closely than the other model...

Is this enough?

"Comment on how well this model fits the original data."

What sorts of comments should I be making here? Is it adequate just to say which points/years don't fit the line and hence are discrepancies in the data? And that the model seems to fit the data closely, more closely than the other model...

Is this enough?

umm firstly say whether it fits and if so, how well (very well, well, quite well)

then comment on the number of points that fit the model (like you said).

and when you have gone to your second model, you can start comparing them.

that's pretty much it.

Edited by Desy Glau

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask wink.gif

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME biggrin.gif

HELP ME!

You kind of have to specify what you need help with...?

If any one needs help with this task, I finished it last term, so just ask wink.gif

Got 19/20 points on it, so thats AWESOME biggrin.gif

I could use some help as well, what function did u use, i was thinking of using wither an exponential (so that the graph never goes below zero) or the cubic (cause if fits great with the points), but i have no friken idea how to find a,b,c,d (in a ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d) or a,b (for ae^bx) analitically... any idea??

I used an exponential function... what you need to do is look for patterns in the data given. Like how much does the population increase for each 5 year period. Try that wink.gif

The increase in the population data doesn't grow exponentially though. the rate goes up and down each time.

I'm doing my Maths SL IA Type II - Population trends in China.

A logistic function will never reach it's upper bound, it will be an asymptote, continuing to infinity.

But does it start at zero? Or does the bottom half of the sigmoid curve continue to infinity too?

Thanks

you mean at the origin? go figure. substitute x=0 and if you get y=0 then yes it starts from the origin.

I'm desperate I just received the task today and is due for next wednesday I'm trying not to procrastinate but i have no idea how to approach or even begin the investigation! HELP ASAP

You've gotta be more specific about what you want help with... the introduction? Or the first plotting of the data?

• Like 1

I'm desperate I just received the task today and is due for next wednesday I'm trying not to procrastinate but i have no idea how to approach or even begin the investigation! HELP ASAP

You've gotta be more specific about what you want help with... the introduction? Or the first plotting of the data?

I have not started so yes basically the introduction and the first plotting data and the rest..

I have not started so yes basically the introduction and the first plotting data and the rest..

"Define all relevant variables and parameters clearly." This is the first thing to do. I'm not sure if it's discussed earlier in this thread... but basically you define your two variables, and define the parameters on them. (For example, population can't really be negative.)

"Use technology to plot the data points from the above table on a graph." For this, use Excel or GeoGebra, whichever you prefer. Just use the data they've given you to make the points. Good luck!

Guest Animistic Anaemia

Try to identify all the limiting factors that may affect a population growth. If you take either Biology or ESS, you'll know that there are some key stuff that limit growth. I can't tell you exactly what it is because I can't give you the answers

And for your model, try using a cubic model :) Be sure to analyse all its positive and negative things because it will be important in the end when you'll have to choose which model you want to modify ;)

Hi, Im having trouble typing in the researcher's model in excel (i've already figured it out). Can someone please help me with this?

Use Graph, it's the best plotting software I know for Windows. However, if you have a Mac, use the incorporated Grapher which is even better than graph :D

actually, use your TI calculator. excel is ****ty for type 2 tasks. I use TI-Nspire, got a very nice interface, beautiful graphs and all so you may have a different view, but features-wise, TI is the best to use. it can generate the researcher's model and plot it with the data. too perfect.