Commonly Misspelled Words

avident

"For all intensive purposes..."

No. Stop before I hit you, you hooligan. People who say this instead of "intents and purposes" lose all respect from me immediately.

Oh my god, this annoys me as well.

I corrected somebody with this once, and they refused to admit that they were wrong. It got me really frustrated.

But maybe that's just me.

• 3 months later...

I absolutely despise it when people mix up "lose" and "loose". It is such a ridiculous mistake!

I agree! Argh!

Others:

effect/affect

license <-- people ALWAYS mix up the c and the s.

a vs. an

anymore vs. any more

there/they're/their

There's a lot more, but I'm just a bit too infuriated to think of any more right now :P

When people say, "could of," "should of," AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! IT'S HAVE! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVEEEEEE YOU HALF-WITTED NINCOMPOOP LACKING ALL SENSE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE! HAVE!

Hem hem...*calms down* The difference between practice/practise (and advice/advise).

For some reason, I can never spell "occasionally" right on the first go.

Edited by Arrowhead

I'm probably one of the most pedantic people I know when it comes to grammar, spelling and semantics. Strunk & White is a must-read for all of those who want to be more careful with their English.

I'm irked when people use unnecessary capitalisations in their writing. Why do these random nouns suddenly have to become proper nouns?! I also don't like it when people put their full stops within brackets. It just feels strange. Especially if you know computer languages - it feels like not closing a tag properly! Oh, and people misusing quotation marks.

But having said that there are some stupidly easy words that I couldn't spell properly until the last year or so:

Performance (always misspelt it as 'preformance') and proportion (always misspelt it as 'porportion')

Sucks that I took GCSE Music and couldn't spell 'performance' properly throughout most of the course!! Haha!

And the words 'necessary' and 'embarrassed' always get me when I'm not careful.

Oh also...

I absolutely despise it when people mix up "lose" and "loose". It is such a ridiculous mistake!

I agree! Argh!

Others:

effect/affect

license <-- people ALWAYS mix up the c and the s.

a vs. an

anymore vs. any more

there/they're/their

There's a lot more, but I'm just a bit too infuriated to think of any more right now :P

About the word license: LICENSE is the verb, LICENCE is the noun (for British English, anyway). A bit like how PRACTISE is the verb, and PRACTICE is the noun.

Edited by ninety

• 3 months later...