The Original Who Are You Thread

Graeme

Well, I guess I'll start.

My name is Graeme, and I was a May 2007 candidate. I started this site because people always talk about how hard the IB is, and well, I figured I would try to make life easier for all of you.

:angry: Welcome to IB Survival, hope you find what you need. :blink:

I'm Hien and I finished IB in May 2006. I'm still around because I'm insane. :blink:

No, seriously, it was a case of my having too much time after my exams as I had a 6 months' break between IB and uni. So I spent that time hanging around IB forums and making friends with May 2007 people and eventually I was only around really to talk to them. Now that I'm at uni, I find myself (almost) missing IB. I said, almost. :angry:

Hi, my name is Max, and I'm a May 2009 candidate. I thought it would be useful for my upcoming "IB-career" to hang around here and find out what I can expect from the next two school years :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! It's good to see some familiar faces around. :angry:

My name's Caitlin, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and I'll be finished with IB forever in a little under four months!!! Like Bandev, I am currently struggling to keep afloat of the ever increasing tide of Internal Assessment deadlines crashing around me. Wish me luck!

Caitlin :blink:

Guest Bubble

My name is Marina and I've been hired as a spy for the other IBS site, ibscrewed.

Nah. May 2007 candidate, 36 points, taking a gap year before uni.

I live in Sweden but am Russian by blood and spent most of my childhood in Sydney. Ex-tennis pro who enjoys humour in literature and just about anywhere else.

Are you tearing up the pea patch?

Guest friday
Hey all! It's good to see some familiar faces around. :D

My name's Caitlin, I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and I'll be finished with IB forever in a little under four months!!! Like Bandev, I am currently struggling to keep afloat of the ever increasing tide of Internal Assessment deadlines crashing around me. Wish me luck!

Caitlin :P

Hello, can you tell me why you chose IB instead of VCE - I'm looking at it and wondering if there really is a lot more work load than VCE. Would you recommend it? Thanks, (also from Melbourne).

For we have large brains!

:P Or we're crazy and, some would say, bordering on obsessed.

Hello, can you tell me why you chose IB instead of VCE - I'm looking at it and wondering if there really is a lot more work load than VCE. Would you recommend it? Thanks, (also from Melbourne).

I think Caitlin answered this already in the Why IB? thread in the IB GD forum. :Di.e here

Guest SpectralRaven

Hello everyone! :D

My name is Ashley, and I hail from the cultural black hole that is Colorado. I will be beginning my first year in the IB program this year, and this is what my schedule looks like:

IB Biology HL

IB Spanish 4

IB Math Studies 1

IB English 11

IB Psychology

IB History of the Americas

And, although it isn't confirmed yet, I will also be joining the IB Visual Arts HL class, as well.

Apart from IB, I enjoy listening to music, reading, foruming, creating digital art, and playing videogames. I tend to prefer things that are more dark and quirky than normal. :]

I look forward to getting to know all -well, I must be realistic- some of you. I am sure I will find the varying personal experiences within the program enthralling, as well as my own.

Cheers! :]

Welcome!! :D For the answer to question 1, see HMS's helpful post above. :P

As for the workload - there seems to be this rumour going around that IB is more difficult or more work than VCE or something...

Yeah, it's absolute bullexcretion. IB is not harder; in fact it is easier in some ways (hello, no SACs??). I would say it's more challenging, which isn't a bad thing. CAS hours and Extended Essay can be, at times, somewhat of a nightmare, but you'll be better off for having done them. :D

Would I recommend IB? Hell yes I would. However, it is not for everyone. Some people prefer to do more creative subjects, or a narrower range of subjects - and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you're happy to do subjects from all areas of the curriculum (and I think it's a good idea - I like to know a bit about everything :D ) and you're a fairly capable all-rounder, then I would say go for it.

Plus IB kids are cooler. 'Nuf said.

[PS. Deus, is there some way we could get a thing going on in the My Controls section where we can see if people have replied to threads we've posted in? I find it very useful on TSR. :D Thanks.]