Again, never sure what time zone, I don't tend to look at the code at the top, but pretty sure I was tz1

Paper 1 was fine but I made some stupid mistakes, I guess it could have been better but I can't complain.

Paper 2 eeeeh I wasn't crazy about the first data questions with the stupid mice, but the rest was ok, I was happy with the long answer questions especially and ended up doing the ones on genetics, ABO blood groups and hemophilia.

Paper 1 had some tricky ones like the one with the angiosperms but overall it was okay I suppose... Paper 2 was easy I think, although the section B was quite a surprise!! Almost no physiology? Strange! Anyway, I picked the one with plants (leaves, seeds, light-independent reaction) and the one with genetics (engineering and hemophilia) and blood clotting.

TZ2.

At first I thought Paper 1 was terrible - a lot of questions at first weren't clear to me. However, after I studied each question closely, they turned out to be not that bad.

P2 was meh, I am really disappointed there was hardly any questions about cells. I am not sure about section A and the question with pancreatic cancer cells - no idea why they asked for primary sugar used for ribose synthesis. Were we supposed to answer basing on the graph? I couldn't figure out why the word 'primary' was in bold, it made me anxious because it looked like a trick or something. The next subtask (what can be concluded from cancer cells absorbing more sugars or something similar) was also pretty out there, I took a wild guess.

Overall it wasn't bad, I hope for a good mark.

EDIT:

Oops, it seems I have confused HL and SL topics. Sorry about that.

Edited by Szczebrzeszyn

Not knowing about any hormones or plants hurt me on paper 1. Hopefully I guessed correctly.

Paper 1 had some tricky ones like the one with the angiosperms but overall it was okay I suppose... Paper 2 was easy I think, although the section B was quite a surprise!! Almost no physiology? Strange! Anyway, I picked the one with plants (leaves, seeds, light-independent reaction) and the one with genetics (engineering and hemophilia) and blood clotting.

I would have loved to answer about light-independent reaction but I had no idea about anything else on plants so I couldn't draw a leaf or talk about seed germination. And I think the last question (8) was physiology and I did that one. It was drawing a mitochondria, the adaptations of alveoli to make oxygen absorption efficient, and explaining the mechanism for ventilation.

I'm from the U.S. but I don't know if we get TZ1 or TZ2, which one?

Edited by Chris Wu

TZ2/

Bio Paper 1 was terrible. Ok well not terrible but I probably got a 4. The question on what digests decaying plant material, I chose sapotroph, and others chose decomposers but it was really detrivores.

The mRNA strand that was mutated. I said that both were mutated. I know its wrong...

The question on what initiates a nerve impulse. I chose the neurotransmitter option even though it was probably depolarization.

The question showing the carbon cycle and what leads to a reduction in green house effect. I chose the arrow pointing from animals to decomposers. Wrong again.

I could go on and on about the mistakes I made..

P2. Cmon the analysis questions were kinda easy. It was on fructose causing health problems and all the data from the diagrams supported the theory basically.

Surface area to volume area ratio always comes up so if you didn't study that shame.

Section B

I chose the first one

Source: Pancreas: Substrate Lipids Ph: 7: Product: fatty acids and triglycerides ---> I know I messed up the substrate and triglycerides is not a product hopefully I get 2 points though.

Gene transfer so easy. Just mention reverse transciptase, restriction endonucleause, dna Ligase

Effect of temperature, pH, and substrate conc was the best. Cuz I do chemistry so I talked about Ea, frequency of collisions, and even collisions with the right geometry..

Paper 3 was also good today.

So I have a question if I get maybe 15/30 for Paper 1 but then high 7's for Paper 2 and 3 and my IAs are at 6s is an overall mark of 7 still possible?

TZ2/

Bio Paper 1 was terrible. Ok well not terrible but I probably got a 4. The question on what digests decaying plant material, I chose sapotroph, and others chose decomposers but it was really detrivores.

The mRNA strand that was mutated. I said that both were mutated. I know its wrong...

The question on what initiates a nerve impulse. I chose the neurotransmitter option even though it was probably depolarization.

The question showing the carbon cycle and what leads to a reduction in green house effect. I chose the arrow pointing from animals to decomposers. Wrong again.

I could go on and on about the mistakes I made..

P2. Cmon the analysis questions were kinda easy. It was on fructose causing health problems and all the data from the diagrams supported the theory basically.

Surface area to volume area ratio always comes up so if you didn't study that shame.

Section B

I chose the first one

Source: Pancreas: Substrate Lipids Ph: 7: Product: fatty acids and triglycerides ---> I know I messed up the substrate and triglycerides is not a product hopefully I get 2 points though.

Gene transfer so easy. Just mention reverse transciptase, restriction endonucleause, dna Ligase

Effect of temperature, pH, and substrate conc was the best. Cuz I do chemistry so I talked about Ea, frequency of collisions, and even collisions with the right geometry..

So I have a question if I get maybe 15/30 for Paper 1 but then high 7's for Paper 2 and 3 and my IAs are at 6s is an overall mark of 7 still possible?

Careful about the remark on paper 3.. 24 hours of absolutely no reference or discussion...

TZ2

I enjoyed paper 1!

TZ2/

I'm sure that it is decomposers because that is what saprotrophs and detrivores are? And yes only one of the strands were mutated to produce valine, that was a tricky one though.

Paper 2 - I am slightly unsure of as I don't know whether I gave the correct key words that they were looking for. For Section B I chose question 6, I messed up the functions of the organelles for part A a little bit, but for differences between aerobic and anaerobic I did just fine, probably lost like one or two marks then we had the big 9 mark question on ventilation (and gas exchange) which I enjoyed writing but who knows what it will get!

(TZ1)

Paper one was alright but better than paper two. On paper two I stupidly forgot what happened specifically in G1/S/G2/ interphase and I only got 1 mark here. I chose the section B question on leucoytes and properties of water/ how it helps blood - I was slightly excited for Bio and I forgot the most important property since I was trying to write everything le sigh.

Honestly, I don't even remember what was on the second paper! D: can someone please remind me?

Also, what do you guys think the markbands will look like? And what are the percentages for the Bio composite grade?

Thank you! :)

Paper 1 went alright, till after the exam it was already confirmed i got like 5 questions (smh), so I'm hoping for a least a 5 and paper 2 was surprisingly easy with the fructose data response question and the BIG 9 mark ventilation outline

Paper 1 easy, paper 2 okay until the long answer question at the end, I picked the one about enzymes - the 8 marker I did well, but I messed up the other two nicely :(

Section B was amazing. I'd done a past pape like that a few days before. All one had to mention was reverse transcriptase, DNA ligase and restriction enzyme :) and Part a was you either knew it or you didn't.

TZ2

I enjoyed paper 1!

TZ2/

I'm sure that it is decomposers because that is what saprotrophs and detrivores are? And yes only one of the strands were mutated to produce valine, that was a tricky one though.

Paper 2 - I am slightly unsure of as I don't know whether I gave the correct key words that they were looking for. For Section B I chose question 6, I messed up the functions of the organelles for part A a little bit, but for differences between aerobic and anaerobic I did just fine, probably lost like one or two marks then we had the big 9 mark question on ventilation (and gas exchange) which I enjoyed writing but who knows what it will get!

It was detritvores. Decomposers and detritvore are used interchangeably but the clam wasn't decomposing it, it was ingesting it. Thus, detritvore. Also, decomposer isn't on the syllabus. I don't think they'd make it an answer that we don't have to know. My teacher marked the paper and the valine question I got wrong but that was it.

Edited by cjy

Well, I'm from the US so...I thought Paper 1 and 2 were both straight forward. I don't think I got more than 3 wrong on Paper 1 and I think I did decently well on Paper 2. I chose the one about the plant light, CO2 emissions and the precautionary principle.Maybe my hopes of getting a 5 will go up to a 6 :D

Edited by MaximumX
  • Like 1

(TZ1)

Paper one was alright but better than paper two. On paper two I stupidly forgot what happened specifically in G1/S/G2/ interphase and I only got 1 mark here.

You didn't have to know what happens specifically for G1/S/G2. All you had to do was write G1/S/G2 lol. Cuz the question was list the processes which occur before mitosis. so you're good :P

Overall I thought Paper 1 was easy, despite me making stupid mistakes. Paper 2 was a bit challenging but if you knew the content, it wasn't that bad.

P1 was ok, but I thought the classification picture for the plant was so unclear!

P2... for section B, I chose question 1.

Yeah same until I realised the leaves were pinnate!

The suspect question was hard in MC. Which suspect did you get?

4. It was easy all you had to do was match the bands from the gel electrophoresis

Not knowing about any hormones or plants hurt me on paper 1. Hopefully I guessed correctly.

I would have loved to answer about light-independent reaction but I had no idea about anything else on plants so I couldn't draw a leaf or talk about seed germination. And I think the last question (8) was physiology and I did that one. It was drawing a mitochondria, the adaptations of alveoli to make oxygen absorption efficient, and explaining the mechanism for ventilation.

I'm from the U.S. but I don't know if we get TZ1 or TZ2, which one?

Sorry for the delay! US is TZ1 :)