Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

I've finished most of this IA but I'm stuck on the "Test the validity of the general statement" part.

My teacher said that we're not supposed to validate it using the formula we found, but use another one..

How do you use excel to validate it?

Please help!

Yes, if you use method A to come up with the general statement in the beginning, you cannot use method A again to test its validity.

If you want a good mark, go for an algebraic proof.

I don't get what you mean by using excel, as in the tables or the graphs?

If you haven't done this as your 'method A', you can use graphical method to find the formula and thus prove it.

Or if you are too lazy, just use the formula to find other Sn with other values of p and you can say that it's justified. (even though this is mathematically not right)

What do you mean by an algebraic proof?

I did use the formula to find Sn with other values of p, but what do I do after that?

Some people were using excel to test the validity so that they can get marks for "using technology," but I wasn't sure how to do it.

Algebraic proof, I mean you give an analytical proof, a mathematical proof. This is not expected in SL though that's why I suggested the graphical method. But if you can do it, it would be best.

I think that will do...idk if it really will do, though. So yeah do the graphical method if it wasn't your 'method A'.

I mean, what do they do in excel? Because I am thinking of two possible methods: the graphical method can be done in excel, as in you plot Sn against n and find the quadratic expression; or using the table and turning your formulas into excel formulas to find the number of dots and then show that it's what you've previously found. The latter would be harder to teach though. It's hard to show in your portfolio too. Anyways that's not important, I think they were referring to the graphical method as the latter method is not mathematical.

So do that to validate your general statement.

Anyone have any good suggestions about what program I should use to create the triangular number triangle dot shapes?

Do we have to use algebra for the Stellar section of the Portfolio?

Because what I did was just used the calculator. Plug in the 4 shapes amount of dots and the terms in STAT-->EDIT, and then go to STAT PLOT and turn on my Plot1, and then go click STAT--> CALC-->QuadReg, hit ENTER and then boom you have your equation for the Stellar section. But should the Stellar section be more complicated? :/ Will I get a low mark if I use the calculator method?

Thank you :)

Anyone have any good suggestions about what program I should use to create the triangular number triangle dot shapes?

Do we have to use algebra for the Stellar section of the Portfolio?

Because what I did was just used the calculator. Plug in the 4 shapes amount of dots and the terms in STAT-->EDIT, and then go to STAT PLOT and turn on my Plot1, and then go click STAT--> CALC-->QuadReg, hit ENTER and then boom you have your equation for the Stellar section. But should the Stellar section be more complicated? :/ Will I get a low mark if I use the calculator method?

Thank you :)

I knew how to use the GDC too but used excel and tables instead so I could explain more..

I think GDC will be counted less for 'mathematical process' but you'd score higher on 'use of technology;

that's what I think

Sorry, no idea on what program to use to create the shapes.

Yes you need to use algebra because it's a math portfolio, not a technology portfolio or whatever.

That is one of the methods that you can use to come up with the general statement. I suggest finding the GS using algebra first, then at the end when they ask you to test the validity of the GS, you can do this GDC STAT thing.

If your portfolio does not involve any mathematical working at all and you just use this GDC STAT method, you will get low marks for criteria C and F.

Edited by Desy ♫

So, I have a problem here. I do have all the general statements and so on, but the problem is that I do not know how to justify the fact that the relations are quadratic. Teacher told me it is quite easy to do, still, I do not find the trick. Any suggestions how to determine that the relations are quadratic in both triangular and stellar numbers?

EDIT: Done already. If anyone will have this problem too, I can only suggest looking closer to differences between the terms.

Edited by Beastern

I have this portfolio type and I found the general formula and everything using a proper method (not guessing!) XD. I would just like to know where to find links to examples of previous Math SL IAs (free) so that I can fully understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Thanks!

I have this portfolio type and I found the general formula and everything using a proper method (not guessing!) XD. I would just like to know where to find links to examples of previous Math SL IAs (free) so that I can fully understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Thanks!

You're not allowed to view other SL IA's for this topic, if that's what you mean. And I don't think you'd get it for free. And the thing is that even if you were to look at examples of previous Maths SL IAs of other titles, the structure wouldn't be the same as this stellar numbers task (at least, I don't think it'd be the same). If you're stuck on a particular part, then the best thing to do is read through the whole thread. With my type 1 task (linear systems) I read through the entire thread for it, about 16 pages worth and it was a huge help.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. :(

• Like 1

Thanks!

You're not allowed to view other SL IA's for this topic, if that's what you mean. And I don't think you'd get it for free. And the thing is that even if you were to look at examples of previous Maths SL IAs of other titles, the structure wouldn't be the same as this stellar numbers task (at least, I don't think it'd be the same). If you're stuck on a particular part, then the best thing to do is read through the whole thread. With my type 1 task (linear systems) I read through the entire thread for it, about 16 pages worth and it was a huge help.

Of course I don't want to look for IAs for this topic. I just wanted to look at previous example so that I can generally understand what I'm trying to do.

Thanks anyways

Thanks!

Of course I don't want to look for IAs for this topic. I just wanted to look at previous example so that I can generally understand what I'm trying to do.

Thanks anyways

just answer all the question they ask you and read the rubric to make sure that you have everything they ask for! You should ask your teacher if she has any old IAs so you can take a look. It would be helpful to look at an IA with high grade to see how they organize their paper.

Thanks!

Thanks anyways

In a nut shell, all you have to do is answer every single question on the sheet, incorporating graphs, tables, charts, keystroke buttons, etc. where applicable. You can really arrange it however you like as long as you indicate some sort of organizational process so that it makes sense to the marker. My teacher just told us to practically copy the entire question sheet into our actual assignment, bold the questions, and answer each applicable section underneath with diagrams or calculations or charts or whatever you need. Attempt to incorporate calculator work (and how to do whatever you are doing on the calculator through a keystroke list) as much as you can. The assignment may take up as many pages as you need.

Hope that helped. :)

When it asks to repeat for other values of p do you just follow the pattern set by the 6-stellar to get the new values of Sn (since 6 was multiples of 12, 5 would be multiples of 10)? If this is the case, do you have to explain why you followed the pattern?

When it asks to repeat for other values of p do you just follow the pattern set by the 6-stellar to get the new values of Sn (since 6 was multiples of 12, 5 would be multiples of 10)? If this is the case, do you have to explain why you followed the pattern?

To clarify, it was a 6-stellar star, meaning it just had 6 points. I don't really know what you mean about multiples of 12 or 10 concerning the number of points... But yes, you repeat all the steps with whichever other stars you want (5-stellar, 7-stellar, 10-stellar, etc.). I would include a little interlude explaining that from seeing the first star, you assume that each layer will have a point in every corner, etc., thus, a 12-stellar star (for ex.) would look like whatever it is you have.

• Like 1

hey! i ve got this one too and it is due in a week. if any of you have done it before can you guys tell me where to start :/ i am not exactly sure of what to do with it. thanks!

guys i figured out the formula and everything but how did you explain your limitations and everything?

guys i figured out the formula and everything but how did you explain your limitations and everything?

By everything do you mean the entire project? You just write it out and explain how you ended up with your conclusions and formulas, etc.

As for limitations, it is showing how your method is not foolproof. Mention all the different scenarios where it might not work, for example, why they would not work, and what the stars HAVE to be like in order for it to work. It is an evaluation of your formulas and methods and what they are limited to working on.

• Like 1

I just wanted to look at previous example so that I can generally understand what I'm trying to do.

Don't worry, IBS is here to help you! Purchase a VIP subscription and you can download the past IA examples that we have in our Files section! :D

hey! i ve got this one too and it is due in a week. if any of you have done it before can you guys tell me where to start :/ i am not exactly sure of what to do with it. thanks!

don't know if you still need it but have a look: :D