• z-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • z-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • Stellar Numbers Table of Summary of general statements when p = 6, x, y, z
  • Stellar Numbers General Statement in terms of p and n
  • Stellar Numbers Informal Proof
  • Stellar Numbers Scope and Limitations of the General Statement
  • Stellar Numbers Conclusion
  • Final Conclusion

General Math IA Guidelines can be found in this thread.

what do you mean tables of n and the nth term?

sorry one more question:

what do you mean with this?

x-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn

x-Stellar Numbers General Statement

y-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn

y-Stellar Numbers General Statement

z-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn

z-Stellar Numbers General Statement

I found the general statement for the stellar numbers, using what I have found for the triangular numbers. And I kept getting the correct formula except that I had ax^2+bx+c instead of ax^2-bx+c. And I just dont know what I did wrong. Please help!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

my first math portfolio is due in three days. we were given the one about the stellar numbers. I am about halfway through, but i am stuck on finding a formula for the stellar numbers. for the 6-stellar number, i found the pattern is you add the previous multiple of 12 to the previous stellar number. but how do you put this in an equation?

example:

table:

1 1

2 13

3 37

to find 37, you go 2(12)+ 13.

well its not an arithmetic or geometric series so then it must be either a recursion or explicit formula. but it cant be an explicit formula since the sequence isnt arithmetic or geometric.so your left with recursion formula. i got that the general formula for stellar numbers is:

Sn= Sn-1 + 12(n-1)where n>1

for example with S2= 13:

given that S1= 1

S2=Sn-1 + 12(n-1)

=S1 + 12(2-1)

=1 + 12(1)

=13

Edited by Austin Glau
no text speak
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just finished my Portfolio Type 1 - stellar numbers and I think I did pretty good :yes: ... I am willing to discuss

this task with anyone who wants some help and is actually dealing with this task at the moment... I would really like you

guys to see my work but uploading it wouldn't be in accordance with academic honesty would it...

For those who are not familiar with the task I attached the task paper...

I just finished my Portfolio Type 1 - stellar numbers and I think I did pretty good :yes: ... I am willing to discuss

this task with anyone who wants some help and is actually dealing with this task at the moment... I would really like you

guys to see my work but uploading it wouldn't be in accordance with academic honesty would it...

For those who are not familiar with the task I attached the task paper...

that's great, but please NEVER send your work to anyone no matter what they promised you and please do NOT give them the answers.

please try to keep discussions in this thread so the moderators can read our posts and they will know if we're giving too much guidance or not.

we cannot tell you the general formula. you have to find it yourself.

however if you read up the whole Stellar Numbers thread in the math forum I'm very sure you'll come across it or clues to it.

Yeah I completely agree with you. When do every previous part of the task general formula will be obvious.

You can't go straight for general formula, there is a reason why they constructed the task like that, so you can solve it gradually.

• 2 months later...

this is a great forum to help understand why the general statement for the stars is d=px^2-px+1

http://www.mymathforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19382

think about the formula used to find the triangular number sequence:(n(n+1))/2

12 trianges can fit into a stellar star. this is why the statement is 12 times that of the triangles.

would anyone be able to give me a hand in understanding limitations for this general statement? i know it creates an exponential graph but what does this tell me?X

• 5 weeks later...
Guest rod4eva

you can try to use the simplest parts of series that you've probably studied.. that's the easy answer to the whole portfolio though we cannot discard any other method to prove the conjectures...

Guest rod4eva

we cannot tell you the general formula. you have to find it yourself.

however if you read up the whole Stellar Numbers thread in the math forum I'm very sure you'll come across it or clues to it.

Yeah I completely agree with you. When do every previous part of the task general formula will be obvious.

You can't go straight for general formula, there is a reason why they constructed the task like that, so you can solve it gradually.

this is true but we can actually find it easily... this is probably the most obvious portfolio there is ..