Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

I haven't gone through the entire thread however I plan to, but I'd like a few questions answered right away.

Is it necessary to have some sort of formal introduction to the topic of stellar numbers? And out of curiosity do stellar numbers and triangular numbers have any real life applications?

hey, everything is ok but i have a problem with drawing this images. does anyone know a programme that i can use for drawing them? I've tried to draw them on paint but that doesnt work I've got only 20 hours left please help!!

I think there is a link posted somewhere on this thread containing the diagrams of all stellar numbers.

I haven't gone through the entire thread however I plan to, but I'd like a few questions answered right away.Is it necessary to have some sort of formal introduction to the topic of stellar numbers? And out of curiosity do stellar numbers and triangular numbers have any real life applications?

good that you plan to do that :D

yes yes of course!

and not really, not much real-life application I guess.

Oh ok thanks desss; one more question, can anyone give me any hints on how i can "test the validity of the general statement"? I've already have the general statement for the stellar number sequences.

EDIT -

Nevermind I'll probably just find a way to BS it... and sound intelligent, this is due tommorrow anyways.

Edited by Austin Glau
no text speak

• 4 weeks later...

My maths teacher told me that I have to relate stellar numbers to triangle numbers. I had tought that it should have been done if not it wouldnt have been in the same portfolio ;) haha

well...can anyone explain me how to relate triangle numbers to stellar numbers?? please I have to hand in the final version of the portfolio by this week

thank you!

In stellar numbers, I found out that there was a certain multiple that built the figure. Each time a new phase was added to the stellar figure, i noticed that a multiple was always present.

This multiple adds in the same way as triangle numbers build.

I made an image for my portfolio, but i dont know if can post it here, maybe i will be giving the direct answer. If moderator let me post it, i will :yes:

Hope this is not confusing. Its hard to explain without giving the answer.

don't you realise that the stars are actually made up of p intersecting triangles with one dot inside? or you can also see it in a different way and find it in another way... what did you do to find the conjecture of the stellar number? if you find it algebraically you will see that it uses the conjecture of the triangular numbers. well it depends on how you see it, really!

or you can also see it the way noinoeso does. there are many ways! just try to see the stellar shapes in a different way looking for unique patterns in the shape.

STELLAR NUMBERS PORTFOLIO OUTLINE

• Introduction
  • Triangular Numbers Intro
  • Triangular Numbers Table of values of n and nth term
  • Triangular Numbers General Statement
  • Triangular Numbers Conclusion
  • Stellar Numbers Intro
  • 6-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • 6-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • x-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • x-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • y-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • y-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • z-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • z-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • Stellar Numbers Table of Summary of general statements when p = 6, x, y, z
  • Stellar Numbers General Statement in terms of p and n
  • Stellar Numbers Informal Proof
  • Stellar Numbers Scope and Limitations of the General Statement
  • Stellar Numbers Conclusion
  • Final Conclusion

General Math IA Guidelines can be found in this thread.

what do you mean tables of n and the nth term?

I found the correct general statement for the triangular numbers, however I proved it geometrically. So I formed the dots into right angle triangles and then doubled them to form rectangles. I found the "area" or the amount of dots in each rectangle which was n(n+1) and then divided by two since I was only interested in the number of dots in the triangle. Is it a problem if I did not use sequences but did it this way? or is there a preferred way to do it?

Can anyone please help with the stellar numbers I have no idea how to begin

thanks sooo much!

it's acceptable. it's an interesting method IMO. it's still mathematics anyway, so I'd say it wouldn't be a problem. there are many ways to find the general statements (for both triangular numbers and stellar numbers) so don't worry if you do it differently with your friend ;)

I'd suggest you to observe, analyse the pattern first. once you see the pattern and realise that it's got something to do with the triangular numbers you'll know how to find the general statement. there are many, various ways! do you see the pattern, first?

it's acceptable. it's an interesting method IMO. it's still mathematics anyway, so I'd say it wouldn't be a problem. there are many ways to find the general statements (for both triangular numbers and stellar numbers) so don't worry if you do it differently with your friend ;)

I'd suggest you to observe, analyse the pattern first. once you see the pattern and realise that it's got something to do with the triangular numbers you'll know how to find the general statement. there are many, various ways! do you see the pattern, first?

yeah well I have already found the general statement: it is n(n+1)/2 right?