Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

Okay, so I just got this portfolio, and Im starting on it now before I forget about it.. :(

so Iv worked through it, and I have found the general formula, but I dont really understand how we know to use the quadratic formula to solve it... Iv read through the previous posts about subtracting until you get a constant difference.. but i dont see how that works in this case.. I am a little slow though, and not the best at maths, so I've probably just missed something simple thats TOTALY obvious to everyone else.. :P So I would really appreciate if someone could help me out? :)

so this is what I get:

1, 13, 37, 73, 121

and subracting gives:

12, 24, 36, 48

subratcing again:

12, 24, 36

and so on...

but how does this tell us we need to use the quadratic formula?

thanks alot btw for the previous posts, u guys r super helpful! :) :)

I'm assuming this is the second general statement your talking about, with the 6-stellar numbers.

Look at those numbers. They can all be expressed as a multiple of a number, right? Try re-writing them in that form, with a common multiple and changing coefficients. Then look at the values that you have for said coefficients, and they should look more or less familiar =P

i'm pretty sure your in college by now, hopefully some great school, cost free. but i really want to tank you for helping us, IBers, in a ethical and clear manner. have a good future.

You're welcome! :D

Ugh, I'm not going to University until August. :P

I still have to finish IB up. :)

Hey, I am doing porfolio 1 about the stellar numbers and I am totally lost woth the second part concerning the satrs, I will attach the portfolio and can anybody help me?I have to find a general statement for p-stellar numbers, but I think it is the same, it doesn´t matter if it is 6-stellar number or 7-stellar, I think that teh general statement is the same?Isn´t it?I have the general statement for number of points which is the general statement for sum of arithmetic sequences plus 1, I just don´t get what should I do..Can anybody please help me?Thank you very much.

Stellar Numbers.pdf

Hey, I am doing porfolio 1 about the stellar numbers and I am totally lost woth the second part concerning the satrs, I will attach the portfolio and can anybody help me?I have to find a general statement for p-stellar numbers, but I think it is the same, it doesn´t matter if it is 6-stellar number or 7-stellar, I think that teh general statement is the same?Isn´t it?I have the general statement for number of points which is the general statement for sum of arithmetic sequences plus 1, I just don´t get what should I do..Can anybody please help me?Thank you very much.

I am confused.. so which part is that? The general statement in terms of n when p=6 and when p=7 are different, but similar. You need to find the general statement for some other values of n right? Let's say when p=8 and when p=9. Then you will see a pattern from the general statements and finally find the general statement in terms of p and n :P does that answer your question? :blum:

Does anyone have an idea how to construct an IA???? I'm assigned to do the stellar numbers and finally got the equations (formulas) but have no idea how to construct it!!!

ohhh noooo, and the first draft is due tomorrow!!! Does anyone who is very kind-hearted tell me how to do itt??? thanks

Does anyone have an idea how to construct an IA???? I'm assigned to do the stellar numbers and finally got the equations (formulas) but have no idea how to construct it!!!

ohhh noooo, and the first draft is due tomorrow!!! Does anyone who is very kind-hearted tell me how to do itt??? thanks

LENALEEEEE :o:drake:

Ok..so you start with telling what your portfolio is all about. say something like this portfolio is an investigation of special numbers or I will be investigating triangular and stellar numbers.

Then just start with the first part (triangular) then you go to the 2nd part (stellar).

At the end you need to have a conclusion!

Anyone out there who know how I will be able to write eg. 6 raised to 10 ?

Do I need a special program and if that is the case can I use autograph?? plz help

How can i write my calculations?

You mean 6 to the power of 10? 610?

Are you using Windows or Mac or Linux? Do you have Ms. Word 2007?

I use Windows 7 and Ms. Word 2007 and to type 610 I can just type 610 first, highlight the 10 and press on my keyboard ctrl and = altogether (or ctrl shift = altogether, I can't remember which). I can also use Math Input Panel or something like that (currently on my phone, can't check its name) to put my equations. Or the easiest way is to use the equation feature in Ms. Word!

I think there is a program called MathType or something so you can use that to type all your equations and show working :drake:

• Like 1

STELLAR NUMBERS PORTFOLIO OUTLINE

• Introduction
  • Triangular Numbers Intro
  • Triangular Numbers Table of values of n and nth term
  • Triangular Numbers General Statement
  • Triangular Numbers Conclusion
  • Stellar Numbers Intro
  • 6-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • 6-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • x-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • x-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • y-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • y-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • z-Stellar Numbers Table of values of n and Sn
  • z-Stellar Numbers General Statement
  • Stellar Numbers Table of Summary of general statements when p = 6, x, y, z
  • Stellar Numbers General Statement in terms of p and n
  • Stellar Numbers Informal Proof
  • Stellar Numbers Scope and Limitations of the General Statement
  • Stellar Numbers Conclusion
  • Final Conclusion

General Math IA Guidelines can be found in this thread.

• Like 1

What's the difference between the statements 'Now repeat the steps above for other values of p' and 'test the validity of the general statement'? aren't they pretty much the same thing?

Oh I just answered this in the other thread :)

NO, they are different.

Now repeat the steps above for other values of p

This is done before you get the general statement Sn in terms of n and p. You are to find Sn in terms of n when p=6,x,y,z so that you can see the pattern and conclude the general statement Sn in terms of n and p.

test the validity of the general statement

This is done after you get the general statement Sn in terms of n and p. You are to give an informal proof of the general statement -- can be done in two ways: solving algebraically OR finding Sn for (an)other(s) value(s) of p using the general statement you have got.

• Like 1

Thank you. Also, when it states 'explain how you arrived at the general statement', it's basically asking you for your reasons for coming to conclusions to a formula, yes? What if for the steps leading up to the general statement (for each respective equation) you have already explained how you got there? Do you still need to repeat this again in the conclusion, or just sum if up again to be safe?

I basically explained the processes I used individually, instead of just cold numbers. While I did explain it with numbers, I also hinted on the processes I used, and the similarities between things etc.

So EXPLAIN how you got it, and try to use some numbers if you wish. Remember this isn't a specific example, but a general example, so explain how a process applies to many cases lol.

Anyone out there who know how I will be able to write eg. 6 raised to 10 ?

Do I need a special program and if that is the case can I use autograph?? plz help

How can i write my calculations?

As said above, you can use the Microsoft Equation/Symbol Editor. I used it, and it worked perfectly for me. Sure, you have to insert things within insert spots before you can type in actual numbers, but other than that it works great. This should be in most versions of word too, even back in the 2000 version.

Edited by JoeGuff
  • Like 1

Hey IBers,

I have the same project. And i dont know how to arrive at the limitations and the scopes of the stellar number pattern.

Like, how mnay vertices does a star have? (max/min) some people dont consider a shape with less than 5 vertices a star ?

Talk about what values n and p can possibly be!

First, obviously n cannot be 1.8 or 9.333... right?

What about p? Can a star have 5.5 vertices? ;)

And to answer your question, I would say that a star can have >=3 vertices :S but try to google it, I might be wrong. However I remember drawing a star (just a normal star, not this stellar shape) using Corel Draw and if I am not mistaken the least number of vertex the star can have is 3.

Hey, this is my first IB Math portfolio task. I've figured out the equations for the assignment and now I'm typing everything up. I have a few questions though:

1. Is there any way to incorporate a GRAPH (like scatter plot, line, whatever) into this IA?

2. My math teacher told me that to get full marks for the technology aspect, I must CREATE my own program to solve/draw the geometric shapes. So since I'm a fail with technology, is it virtually impossible for me to get full marks in this section?

3. If I use http://luckytoilet.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/investigations-about-star-polygons-inspired-by-someone-elses-math-homework/ would it be plagiarism since I did not create the program myself? I don't want to unintentionally plagiarize and get kicked out of IB.

Thanks in advance to whoever answers this!!

Hey, this is my first IB Math portfolio task. I've figured out the equations for the assignment and now I'm typing everything up. I have a few questions though:

1. Is there any way to incorporate a GRAPH (like scatter plot, line, whatever) into this IA?

2. My math teacher told me that to get full marks for the technology aspect, I must CREATE my own program to solve/draw the geometric shapes. So since I'm a fail with technology, is it virtually impossible for me to get full marks in this section?

3. If I use http://luckytoilet.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/investigations-about-star-polygons-inspired-by-someone-elses-math-homework/ would it be plagiarism since I did not create the program myself? I don't want to unintentionally plagiarize and get kicked out of IB.

Thanks in advance to whoever answers this!!

1. You can plot Sn against n using scatter and then find the quadratic best fit curve XD

2. I highly disagree with your teacher because the use of technology criterion is about using GDC or graphing software in the development of the task. IMO the stellar shapes are there just for illustration and not really for the development of the task so I would say that you can just take the figure from the net :lc: however you can always try to draw dots to make the stellar shapes :lc:

It is a math portfolio anyway, not a graphic designing portfolio nor an ICT portfolio or wtv..lol

3. No. As long as you cite the source, it would be fine :lc: