Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

Hi everyone....i have the same prompt, but i am having trouble identifying the main purpose of this Task....HELP!!!!!

The main purpose of this task is to find an expression that shows the relationship between the amount of g-force that humans can tolerate in a given period of time. (in general, can be more specific as you are investigating both Gx and Gz)

What does the task mean when it says "Revise if necessary."

If the function that you model does not fit the data points well, like half of the shape of the graph fits but the other half is like the opposite of the expected shape, or something like that, then you are expected to revise your modelled function. Make some changes to it till the graph fits quite well.

Hi,

So I am working on the G-Force for IB math and our teachers want us to use more than one way to solve using technology. I have used logger pro, and my GDC. is there a third and more different way that i can solve this problem using technology? Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

So I am working on the G-Force for IB math and our teachers want us to use more than one way to solve using technology. I have used logger pro, and my GDC. is there a third and more different way that i can solve this problem using technology? Any ideas?

Thanks

more than one way using technology? so your teacher wants many forms of using technology in solving the question?

I think using logger pro = using GDC = using any graphing software. yes the procedures of using the instrument may differ, but you are doing the same thing anyway, right? plotting graphs...finding best regression...

do you just want to use other software or what? I think you can just use Ms.Excel then.

Hi,

Thanks

more than one way using technology? so your teacher wants many forms of using technology in solving the question?

I think using logger pro = using GDC = using any graphing software. yes the procedures of using the instrument may differ, but you are doing the same thing anyway, right? plotting graphs...finding best regression...

do you just want to use other software or what? I think you can just use Ms.Excel then.

I realize now that my question wasnt stated well. So I found two ways of purely finding it using technology by using logger pro and my GDC. HOwever now i need to use my own knowledge and use my own math to try to solve the problem given. We are given a table of values and we need a general formula to estimate further values and ananalyze. Now I have to use math procedures to solve this. Any tips on how to do that? So technically I have to solve for the equation using my own math.

Edited by Jacksbkk

I realize now that my question wasnt stated well. So I found two ways of purely finding it using technology by using logger pro and my GDC. HOwever now i need to use my own knowledge and use my own math to try to solve the problem given. We are given a table of values and we need a general formula to estimate further values and ananalyze. Now I have to use math procedures to solve this. Any tips on how to do that? So technically I have to solve for the equation using my own math.

yes true, good that you understand that. ;) what type of function do you want to model? if you want to model say a power function, start with stating the general function: y=axb where a and b are constants. then you pick 2 sets of values of t and Gx, and substitute them in depending on which variable you choose as the x and which one is the y. then solve for a and b using any method you are familiar with!

yes true, good that you understand that. ;) what type of function do you want to model? if you want to model say a power function, start with stating the general function: y=axb where a and b are constants. then you pick 2 sets of values of t and Gx, and substitute them in depending on which variable you choose as the x and which one is the y. then solve for a and b using any method you are familiar with!

Thank you for clarifying that for me and yes I'm solving for the power function. :) Thank you thank you :)

does anyone have a copy of this task, because my teacher wont give it to use till next year and i wanna get it over with ? help! thankk youu :)

Sorry for the late reply! Here you go

anyone know what a negative value for r means? or do we only care about the absolute value of r...and what is r^2 ??

im so confused.

What r are you talking about?

R² is this value showing the accuracy of your best fit line. It can be got using the Chart feature on Ms. Excel or Ms. Word. If you need more info on how to display it just ask and I'll tell you.

PS. I love Britney Spears too!

I've just gone through bits of my coursework, and finding this thread has helped me loads. :/ Just wanna say thanks to people who've contributed and stuff! :D

especially that desy guy!

Glad to know that IBS has helped you!

You are welcome :D

PS. I'm a girl :S

The formula for a power regression is not y = ax^b as has been stated but is y = Ax^b where A = a^e

If A=a^e, A is still a constant anyway, right? For example A=3^e, A=19.8 and y=19.8x^b :D

It's just the same.

Ok, I have been working on this forever. I have used the ab^x formula to try and find the equation. Each time I go to test the equation, the point does not come even close to being accurate. I am really frustrated and only have two more days to work on this. Any suggestions? I have tried everything I know.

Edited by redthunder

Ok, I have been working on this forever. I have used the ab^x formula to try and find the equation. Each time I go to test the equation, the point does not come even close to being accurate. I am really frustrated and only have two more days to work on this. Any suggestions? I have tried everything I know.

isn't it supposed to be axb? <_<

isn't it supposed to be axb? <_<

Your right! For some reason I though I could do it as an exponential. So many hours wasted on a stupid mistake. THANKS!!!!

Hi I've been working on this, and I'm still confused on the differences which forumla to use/the differences exponential forumla or the logarithmic formula. I can see how both work, but I don't know how to get them. Oh and I don't have a graphing calculator. Is it even possible to do this task without one?

Hi I've been working on this, and I'm still confused on the differences which forumla to use/the differences exponential forumla or the logarithmic formula. I can see how both work, but I don't know how to get them. Oh and I don't have a graphing calculator. Is it even possible to do this task without one?

the form is different. like log(a)b and ax2+bx+c are different. so they are different!

you need a graphing calculator or a graphing software. you can download some online or get the trial version.

is this exponential or power? i don't understand the difference

this? which this?

power --> y=axb

exponential --> y=abx

Edited by dessskris

I got power regression. I plugged the points in my GDC and found that pwrreg had the closest r value to -1. When it asked me to do another, i found that logarithmic is the next closest, since the r value was close. However, i am struggling with the contraints & parameters. Also, were we supposed to do any part by hand? if so, how?