Type II -- G-Force Tolerance

basak

It is possible to put time on the x-axis if you truly want to, although it makes it more confusing, which is exactly the opposite of a graph's purpose.

A power regression is in the form of y = x^b + c, but you don't really need the c here. The equation you gave, y=a+b*cdx, is an exponential regression, not a power regression.

Ohhh yeah I just checked..sorry hahahaha my fault xP so I have been giving wrong information on regression type haha sorry for that..

hey did anyone find any constraints and limitations to the model and the implications of it in terms of G-force acting on a human being... basically it is the last question of the portfolio....... i m almost done with eveything else bt stuck with this one...

pls help

Talking about limitations, think about the domain and range. You have 2 variables: t and G. Can they be zero? Can they be negative integers? Can they be positive integers? Decimal numbers? Surds? Complex numbers? Can they be the same? and stuffs like that.. :)

• Like 1

When it says to discuss the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being, what do you say?

Where did you get your information from? Any helpful websites?

I am not doing this task but I guess I would just describe the graph, as if the variable on the x-axis increases, what happens to the variable on the y-axis? Will it increase too, or decrease? Will it reach a certain value (i.e. any asymptote?)? Just describe the graph in this G-force context.

Hello Guys,

our math teacher suggested, that we should start with this Portfolio with the second question and leave out the "define variables and parameters bit" for the end. However, the deadline is tomorrow and I cannot figure out what is meant by this question. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Hello Guys,

our math teacher suggested, that we should start with this Portfolio with the second question and leave out the "define variables and parameters bit" for the end. However, the deadline is tomorrow and I cannot figure out what is meant by this question. Please help.

Thanks in advance

I guess I might be too late to reply, but anyways

No just describe what G and t are (g-force and time respectively). Without that being described first, I think it would be unclear what you are talking about in your portfolio. so it should be written in the beginning.

When it says to discuss the implications of your model in terms of G-forces acting on a human being, what do you say?

Where did you get your information from? Any helpful websites?

I am not doing this task but I guess I would just describe the graph, as if the variable on the x-axis increases, what happens to the variable on the y-axis? Will it increase too, or decrease? Will it reach a certain value (i.e. any asymptote?)? Just describe the graph in this G-force context.

I am also right at the end of this task but i am a bit confused. I found a model (using the power function) for the horizontal g-force then i used it for the vertical g-force. I then noticed i had to make changes to my model for it to fit the data and thus found a ne model for the vertical g-force. Is this normal? Am I supposed to end up with two model functions (one for each g-force) or do I need one model function in general? If yes, how?

Also, for the limitations of our model do we have to replace x and y by different numbers and all (0, negatives, square roots) or are we just explaining once again the limitations of T en +Gx ?

I am sooo close to finishing this and any help would be well appreciated!

Hi

What i don't understad is what we are asked for when it says to create a model by yourself.

How can we do that without using any technological method? They don't expet us to do a proper potential regression by hand right?

So then... is it only something aproximated?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks!

Edited by Siflun

I am also right at the end of this task but i am a bit confused. I found a model (using the power function) for the horizontal g-force then i used it for the vertical g-force. I then noticed i had to make changes to my model for it to fit the data and thus found a ne model for the vertical g-force. Is this normal? Am I supposed to end up with two model functions (one for each g-force) or do I need one model function in general? If yes, how?

Also, for the limitations of our model do we have to replace x and y by different numbers and all (0, negatives, square roots) or are we just explaining once again the limitations of T en +Gx ?

I am sooo close to finishing this and any help would be well appreciated!

Umm yes I think you will end up with 2 different models because when you plot the two data series together you would see that it's impossible to get one best fit line for all these data points.

However I also don't know how to modify your Gx model to fit the Gz data :ok: perhaps you could model a whole new function? ;) idk though, I honestly don't know. I apologise :S

x and y? hey don't use x and y :P use t and G if possible. Umm I would say that you can try to put various values of t and see if G can be found but I guess you can then also explain the limitations like what you said.

sorry I'm not helping :)

Hi

What i don't understad is what we are asked for when it says to create a model by yourself.

How can we do that without using any technological method? They don't expet us to do a proper potential regression by hand right?

So then... is it only something aproximated?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks!

no problem! Haha you don't draw it by hand and draw the best fit :D

Let's say you want to find a power regression. State the general equation first:

P=atb where a and b are constants

Then..you solve for a and b algebraically :) it's very straightforward, I believe. Substitute 2 sets of values of t and P and you do substitution, get a and b and you are done! :)

Umm yes I think you will end up with 2 different models because when you plot the two data series together you would see that it's impossible to get one best fit line for all these data points.

However I also don't know how to modify your Gx model to fit the Gz data :D perhaps you could model a whole new function? :) idk though, I honestly don't know. I apologise ;)

x and y? hey don't use x and y :ok: use t and G if possible. Umm I would say that you can try to put various values of t and see if G can be found but I guess you can then also explain the limitations like what you said.

sorry I'm not helping :P

okay thanks that helps! But i just noticed (correct me if i'm wrong) x represents the time of tolerance and y the G force. So anyways for the limitations I am changing the x and y since they represent t and G! I also just added how i did not have to do a test if the function works with a negative t since time can not be negative ect...

Last question! :S( sorry but i really want this over) Does a negative G force exist? Since G force is about acceleration, and a negative acceleration is deceleration so wouldnt that have its own force? This question sounds more clear in my head but I hope you can understand!

okay thanks that helps! But i just noticed (correct me if i'm wrong) x represents the time of tolerance and y the G force. So anyways for the limitations I am changing the x and y since they represent t and G! I also just added how i did not have to do a test if the function works with a negative t since time can not be negative ect...

Last question! ;)( sorry but i really want this over) Does a negative G force exist? Since G force is about acceleration, and a negative acceleration is deceleration so wouldnt that have its own force? This question sounds more clear in my head but I hope you can understand!

Actually many people argued that time can be y and G-force can be x. However I would go with time on the x-axis and G-force on the y-axis so yeah you are right :D

Good good! :)

Umm the tables actually say +Gx and +Gz right? Then +Gx and +Gz cannot be negative. I actually don't really get what this G-force thing is in real life so I cannot make a rational guess :ok: but how did you define G? I think -Gx and -Gz might exist. And yes it would be a deceleration.

So +Gx and +Gz cannot be negative

But Gx and Gz might be negative -- or -Gx and -Gz might exist

Sorry I really can't help much in this task because I myself haven't done any type 2 IA and this task is tricky. Good luck with it anyways! If you still want to ask just post your question and I'll look at it.

Can someone aid me in providing me instruction on how to do simultaneous systems of equations? More specifically, I try the graphing/visual route, yet that doesn't seem to work. :(. In general, how would you do substitution and elimination for this. I've got everything else hands down, it's just this one part.

I end up with logarithms, yet that's as far as I can take it lol.

Edited by JoeGuff

Can someone aid me in providing me instruction on how to do simultaneous systems of equations? More specifically, I try the graphing/visual route, yet that doesn't seem to work. XD. In general, how would you do substitution and elimination for this. I've got everything else hands down, it's just this one part.

I end up with logarithms, yet that's as far as I can take it lol.

Which part of the task is this for? Are you trying to model a function? If yes, what type of function?

Let's say you want to model a power function. Start with the general equation y=axb, where a and b are constants.

Pick 2 points, for example (0.03, 28) and (10, 6)

28=a0.03b

a=28/0.03b

6=a10b

a=6/10b

See how you can finish it and find a and b? XD

I want to graph with excel, but I just can't do it! It is making me crazy right now. Does anyone know how to graph it? Please help!!!!!

Which graph? The very first bit, yeah?

I suggest using your GDC.. If you have TI, use it.

But if you still want to use excel, you can tabulate it first and then create a scatter graph. However you'll need to use a graphing software to find a logistic regression (the researcher's model) later. Excel can't do this. TI GDC can do this :)

Let me know if you don't know how to plot a graph in excel or TI and I'll write you an instruction/guide :)

Hey, I'm doing the same IA at the moment.

Parameters in this case are explaing what your axes, X and Y, can, and cannot be.

Just double checking this, but did you get a logarithmic function model or exponential function model?

I got exponential function, if I didn't interpret it wrongly. How about you?

I got exponential as well, but a lot of other people got something different.

I got a power function by using excell, but how would you find it without using technology,

is it really just making educated guesses or is there an actual formula??

Actually many people argued that time can be y and G-force can be x. However I would go with time on the x-axis and G-force on the y-axis so yeah you are right :)

Good good! :)

Umm the tables actually say +Gx and +Gz right? Then +Gx and +Gz cannot be negative. I actually don't really get what this G-force thing is in real life so I cannot make a rational guess :) but how did you define G? I think -Gx and -Gz might exist. And yes it would be a deceleration.

So +Gx and +Gz cannot be negative

But Gx and Gz might be negative -- or -Gx and -Gz might exist

Sorry I really can't help much in this task because I myself haven't done any type 2 IA and this task is tricky. Good luck with it anyways! If you still want to ask just post your question and I'll look at it.

I'm personally not letting +Gx and +Gz be minus. I argued for it in the beginning (when talking to myself on how to do this), but then I read a crucial line in the assignment sheet. "In general, humans have greater tolerance to forward acceleration than backwards acceleration..." So no, the function couldn't model backwards (negative) acceleration when given forwards acceleration since the trend (most likely) wouldn't exist. Or I'm wrong *shrug*.

• Like 1

I got a power function by using excell, but how would you find it without using technology,

is it really just making educated guesses or is there an actual formula??

Good. There is an actual formula :) if you just need to make a guess you won't be asked to model a function :) it's a mathematics portfolio, so there must be some calculations performed :)

Start with the general formula, like G=atb or something like that and then substitute some values of t and G to solve for a and b :)

Hey desy!

I love your advice and recently needed a lot for my math portfolio!

Im doing the G-force tolerance one and needed a few anwsers!

So I began with finding a model function and used the logarithm one (i really have no evidence how, just saw ur comment on a forum to use it so i did ?) using the equation you provided y=a+b*ln(x) where a =11 and b = -1.82 (are these right?) i used point 1,11 and 3,9 to solve

What should i do after? How can i use technology to find the power function? please guide me !

Thanks

Hey desy!

I love your advice and recently needed a lot for my math portfolio!

Im doing the G-force tolerance one and needed a few anwsers!

So I began with finding a model function and used the logarithm one (i really have no evidence how, just saw ur comment on a forum to use it so i did ?) using the equation you provided y=a+b*ln(x) where a =11 and b = -1.82 (are these right?) i used point 1,11 and 3,9 to solve

What should i do after? How can i use technology to find the power function? please guide me !

Thanks

Hey rabyl :lc: thank you! Sorry I am taking too long to respond :D

ok you got the equation right already.. anyhow I don't have access to any graphing software currently so I can't check if it fits the data well. but after you get that equation, plot it on the same axes with the original data series. Then comment on how well it fits :)

After that, umm what GDC do you have? If you have a TI, just use it to plot the data and find the best fit power regression :) if you don't know how, I wrote an instruction here :(

Any doubt or more questions just ask!