Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

Umm what does the question say? Sorry I am away and I don't have access to the question paper.

I think so though. Read my post here -->

It says:

"Define Tn(a,x) as the sum of the first n terms, for various values of a and x,

e.g. T9(2,5) is the sum of the first nine terms when a = 2 and x = 5"

i read your post. when you say "calculation" does that mean show how to find the term using steps and such? or could i just say T9(2,5) = this?

sorry for all of the questions XD;; i hope i'm not being troublesome. you are really helpful desy :lc:

• Like 1

It says:

"Define Tn(a,x) as the sum of the first n terms, for various values of a and x,

e.g. T9(2,5) is the sum of the first nine terms when a = 2 and x = 5"

i read your post. when you say "calculation" does that mean show how to find the term using steps and such? or could i just say T9(2,5) = this?

sorry for all of the questions XD;; i hope i'm not being troublesome. you are really helpful desy :P

I think it's not a question, it's just telling us what the Tn(a,x) notation means.

Doh..it's very hard because I don't have the qn paper with me now. But when you want to find T9(2,5), look at the general formula first. Substitute n=9, a=2 and x=5 into it and then type it in your GDC, take a screenshot and put the screenshot in your portfolio and you are done :lc:

Do you get that? If not, tell me the general equation of Tn and I will tell you what I meant cuz I don't have the qn paper now, sorry :lc:

No, you are not, eifuonthenet :lc: if you have any qn just ask and I'll try to help :) thanks :lc:

• Like 1

erm, NO O_O Mina is everyone is japanese :lc: HAHAHAHA. :)

So, basically, from the looks of it, it's like describing a graph in chemistry then? :lc:

is it now? It's too troublesome since its all over the thread XD

OHHH haha ok, that was an epic fail :lc:

Umm yes but you should put in some mathematical terminologies there :lc:

Yeah I know lol I happened to read the whole IA thread of my Type 1 IA because I didn't want to miss a single hint :P and it did help :)

Yosh! I'm about to embark on the last question of this IA! :D The question with them expand our investigation.

Is this last one difficult to solve?

Ahahaha, not really :)

Good thing I'm doing the draft first :)

Erm, is doing the last bit of the Infinite Summation difficult? =/ And how long did it took you to finish it?

Yosh! I'm about to embark on the last question of this IA! :P The question with them expand our investigation.

Ahahaha, not really :lc:

Good thing I'm doing the draft first :lc:

Erm, is doing the last bit of the Infinite Summation difficult? =/ And how long did it took you to finish it?

I would say that it's easy compared to my type 1 IA (patterns within linear systems, the one Derek is doing) :lc:

Nah the last part is as easy as the first part..but the part which asks you to explain how you get the general formula might be a bit challenging XD

Hmm idk.. I didn't do this task. I am in math HL. I just read the question paper and tried to help people without actually writing the portfolio :)

If you have any question just post them here and I will see if I get time to answer them next morning :lc:

Yosh! I'm about to embark on the last question of this IA! :D The question with them expand our investigation.

Ahahaha, not really :P

Good thing I'm doing the draft first :P

I would say that it's easy compared to my type 1 IA (patterns within linear systems, the one Derek is doing) :P

Nah the last part is as easy as the first part..but the part which asks you to explain how you get the general formula might be a bit challenging ;)

Hmm idk.. I didn't do this task. I am in math HL. I just read the question paper and tried to help people without actually writing the portfolio :D

If you have any question just post them here and I will see if I get time to answer them next morning ;)

i see...The explaining part?

oh wow...I appreciate your efforts towards me and Derek, Desy :D

Anyway, So, are the steps EXACTLY the same to the first one? And which ones aren't? Cause right now, I'm gonna storm through this one in one go. :P

You see the first bit yea? Where it says DEFINE Tn (a, x) as the sum of the first n terms, for various values of a and x. what does that mean? How should I define it? Is it saying I'm gonna come up with my own values for a and x?

and you know with the two Let a=2 and a=3,right? are those like, exactly the same thing like the first one? Wherein I have to use Ms Excel to get the Sn of the values? But this time it's T9? What does T9 mean??? O.o

Although your teacher is supposed to tell you this, however:

First you have to have a paragraph explaining what your project is about, what you're investigating and finally the method you're using. Also make sure you mention the 'technology' you're using, i.e GDC and whatever computer software you're going to use.

The rest is just up to you, as long as it coherent, organized and wont confuse the teacher or the marker.

Also remember to include a conclusion (some people don't do that), saying what you found out in the investigation and whether or not your method worked.

I'm assuming you were given a paper in which the project is explained and given guiding questions?

Mahuta! Yo! Bro! :D

Could you help me with this? :D

What do you exactly need help in? In the structure I mean, if it's something specific about this IA, I may not be able to help since I didn't do it. :P

Oh, and I am a girl. :P

aight bro, it's about the last page of the portfolio, I almost get the first 2 "LET a = this" parts but the part where it says Define Tn (a,x) as the su, of the first n terms, for various values of a and x. is what i just don't get...I hope you can...For this is due in tomos. and it will just be an utter pain if I couldn't get this done seeing that this is the very last part of the draft ;)

Ahaha, I kno bro ;)

I have a quick question: how are we supposed to make it a report? My teacher tells me to avoid making it like a math QUESTION/ANSWER assignment. He keeps telling us that it should stand on its own... and to be honest i really do not know how to like write and introduction on this math problem. Because of the directions in the end i have some idea about what to do about the conclusion, but no guide whatsoever into writing an introduction... ;) help?

how long would you guys recommend graph decriptions be? I can never find enough words or proper terminology to describe a graph and usually get marked down for it....

oh and desy? what do you mean by "Similar necessary investigation until you can find the general statement for Tn(a,x) as n approaches ∞" in your outline?

Edited by eifuonthenet

how long would you guys recommend graph decriptions be? I can never find enough words or proper terminology to describe a graph and usually get marked down for it....

oh and desy? what do you mean by "Similar necessary investigation until you can find the general statement for Tn(a,x) as n approaches ∞" in your outline?

Yo! Are you doing the last bit in this IA?

Yo! Are you doing the last bit in this IA?

Yes! i am so close to finishing but i can't get this last bit! and it's due by 7:30 AM tomorrow morning D: and of course my parents decided to celebrate my birthday TONIGHT of all nights!

Sweetness! Same here! But these bloody writings are prolonging my victory D:

Ours is due on 3:30PM ;)

Aww, that's sweet :P And sooo not the best time ;)

DO you understand "Continue with this analysis to find the general statement for Tn (a,x) as n approaches infinity?" =/

Sweetness! Same here! But these bloody writings are prolonging my victory D:

Ours is due on 3:30PM ;)

Aww, that's sweet :P And sooo not the best time ;)

DO you understand "Continue with this analysis to find the general statement for Tn (a,x) as n approaches infinity?" =/

ugh me too! i keep having to proof read.

from what desy has said, I think it just means to chose more variables to test for a, x, and n to make sure that the general statement is true for all the positive constants. I think it's just like doing the previous 2 parts but with different numbers to see if you get the same thing or what restraints you have. i'm not sure though....

• Like 1

So im on the part of the ia where it asks to to use different values of a in the general sequence.

...does that mean i can choose any random numbers to use as a?

pretty much yeah:) hi silvia!

TBH I am sure it can be done without using the Taylor series but I believe it would help you to prove the general statement. But is taylor series even in the syllabus? :P

I actually faced a similar problem when doing my math type 1 IA. I was told I should give the answer in vector form but I haven't learned vectors in IB and that time I didn't have enough knowledge to do so. But I managed to ask a friend and read the textbook and finally did give the answer in vector form ;)

However I asked my teacher and she said it's ok to not use vectors because she hasn't taught us vectors. She mentioned that she will actually note what topics we had covered when we did this IA so it would be understood because we hadn't learned vectors :P

So same for you, you can actually not use taylor series if you haven't learned it. However you may want to just learn and use it! I guess it's a good way to prove the GS so just use it!

If you have Ms. Word 2007, click menu Insert, add Equation (choose from the Built-in equations), scroll down, find Taylor Expansion there -- which is something similar to the picture below.

4f86329fe67a3e7238b31e2497d46ce1.png

Just ignore the sigma thing.. Now look at your Tn and Sn.

You see something similar? ;)

If you are still in doubt I will give you further explanation :P

yeah about the taylor series... i don't understand what it is. are we just supposed to substitue some value and show that it does the same thing as this infinite sequence?