Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

When the portfolio tells us to "Define Tn (a,x)" we simply define it and do nothing more, correct?

note: I have Pro-D day tomorrow, so I have no way to contact my teacher.

Secondly when I use my observations from the "investigations" to find teh general statement of the infinite sum,

do I simply state it or must I provide work on how I achieved the general statement or general solution of "Sn=x^a"?

Yes, simply define it.

Show all your working and calculations.

If there is any doubt you can just ask us here!

Thank you for confirming Desy.

Now the final aspect of this IA that is worrying me is how one comes up with

the general solution - which many people claim - to be Sn = a^x.

How does one come up with that?

One person explains it as

t1=(x ln a)/1, the x is just pulled out from it's actual exponential spot.

Could someone help nudge me into the right direction?

note: Please do not suggest Taylor and Maclaurin series unless the logic behind it can be explained thouroughly.

Edited by Daniel Inchan Jung
  • Like 1

So for the second part of the IA, where they say to use different values of a where x=1, I'm not sure as to what the purpose of that command is. Are they trying to have us explore further examples to prove the relation between Sn and n which we established in the first part of the portfolio? If so, isn't that a bit too...straightforward? Because in that case the only thing I can think of doing is to try increasing the value of a like, three-four times. Many thanks to the person who helps this poor soul.

So for the second part of the IA, where they say to use different values of a where x=1, I'm not sure as to what the purpose of that command is. Are they trying to have us explore further examples to prove the relation between Sn and n which we established in the first part of the portfolio? If so, isn't that a bit too...straightforward? Because in that case the only thing I can think of doing is to try increasing the value of a like, three-four times. Many thanks to the person who helps this poor soul.

The purpose of that command is to guide you towards the restrictions or limitations of the general solution you have already come up with.

• Like 1

Thank you for confirming Desy.

Now the final aspect of this IA that is worrying me is how one comes up with

the general solution - which many people claim - to be Sn = a^x.

How does one come up with that?

One person explains it as

t1=(x ln a)/1, the x is just pulled out from it's actual exponential spot.

Could someone help nudge me into the right direction?

note: Please do not suggest Taylor and Maclaurin series unless the logic behind it can be explained thouroughly.

well, you have the values of Sn when x=1 and a=2, when x=1 and a=3, and when x=1 and for some other values of a. so you can derive the formula of Sn in terms of a when x=1 from there.

I think what you mentioned is S, not Sn.

then you have T9 (which is the same as Sn, right?) when a=2 for various values of x. so find the expression for T9 when a=2. do the same when a=3, a=4, etc. then you find the general statement of T9 in terms of a and x.

repeat that with some other values of n and you will finally find Tn in terms of a and x.

or if you look at the Taylor Expansion formula in the equations in Ms. Word, you will notice that the x in your formula is a special something in your task. you will then be able to find S using that formula.

It's to guide you to get the general statement step by step.

I was given the type I of the math portfolio and it has to do with infinite summation. The formula we are using is (xlna)^n/n!. I am doing the first part of the task, and now i have to find general statement that represents the infinite sums of the general sequence. Is it just a^x should i just write that and just continue to the next part of the portfolio?

please help??!

The type 1 is in the attachment!

GetFile.pdf

I was given the type I of the math portfolio and it has to do with infinite summation. The formula we are using is (xlna)^n/n!. I am doing the first part of the task, and now i have to find general statement that represents the infinite sums of the general sequence. Is it just a^x should i just write that and just continue to the next part of the portfolio?

please help??!

The type 1 is in the attachment!

The first part is when x=1, right? I think if so you wouldn't get ax yet, you would only get a because x=1. Then when x varies, you would notice that it's ax.

Could someone help me understand the Taylor and Maclaurin series? I've finished my first draft for the portfolio but I'm really looking to beef it up further. any help on this is much appreciated!

TBH I haven't covered those in IB yet but when you see the Taylor Expansion formula in the equations in Ms. Word, you will notice that the x in your formula is a special something in your task. You will then be able to find S using that formula.

If still not clear, please do ask.

Guest JimmyK

Just read the first 5 pages of this topic and didn't help me a lot

You see, I'm quite confused right now because of all the opinions that are here posted... I have been doing my IA with the common ratio of xlna/n. I believe it is the common ratio as it applies to all of the terms. For t0, you get 1 and if you multiply it by this expression, you'll get the second term. Multiplying this second term by the expression will give you the third term and so on. The only thing is that using the general expression of geometric series (un = u1 x common ratio). Because you have to have a factorial of n in the denominator instead of just n. Thus, I don't get how people say that the general expression is ax ... I've seen the Taylor expression but can't get how you reach it.

I have no idea of whether my results are correct or not because I've been using GDC to calculate the Sn through the formula Sn = (1 - rn)/(1 - r) and it has always given me something converging to 1... :|

If anyone could help me by just giving me some few guidelines, I'd appreciate it. Just please, explain why you're giving that specific guideline...

I’ve never read the first 5 pages of this thread either, but please do read the whole thread if you have the time to. I remember discussing this before but not really in detail. So now I am going to explain it to you in great detail.

ftz7U.jpg

I hope it’s clear enough. Otherwise you just need to read between the lines :P jk, otherwise please do ask here. I am trying to help you but I cannot give too much help, I can only guide you to the right direction, and I believe that is what I have always done :) if you are still in doubt please do ask again.

Guest JimmyK

I’ve never read the first 5 pages of this thread either, but please do read the whole thread if you have the time to. I remember discussing this before but not really in detail. So now I am going to explain it to you in great detail.

ftz7U.jpg

I hope it’s clear enough. Otherwise you just need to read between the lines :P jk, otherwise please do ask here. I am trying to help you but I cannot give too much help, I can only guide you to the right direction, and I believe that is what I have always done :) if you are still in doubt please do ask again.

I got that part lol and it's quite easy to understand that. But the question is how do you get a result such as ax?? I cannot really understand how you can convert something that is lnx into ax without having to put an e (Euler's number)...that's my question

ps: Just to point that common difference is in an arithmetic progression. Common ratio is the correct expression for geometric ones ;)

hmm..what about you start doing it first. if you don't get ax in the end then ask here.

remember that ln(x)=loge(x)

and that a^(loga(b))=b

OH hahahaha right :P thank you for pointing that out! you mentioned something about common difference that's why I was kind of dragged into talking about it :P lol

hmm..what about you start doing it first. if you don't get ax in the end then ask here.

and that a^(loga(b))=b

OH hahahaha right :P thank you for pointing that out! you mentioned something about common difference that's why I was kind of dragged into talking about it :P lol

Guest JimmyK

and that a^(loga(b))=b

and that a^(loga(b))=b

ahah but that was to say that it wasn't an arithmetic one lol

As for the other part, I've tried but still can't get it how it equals ax. It cannot be simply ax... you have to equal lnx to something to transform it into another expression

you have to have lnx = y to say that ey = x, right or wrong? o.O

it's either that or my maths is not very good atm...

Edited by JimmyK

Guest JimmyK

yeah I meant I should have said common ratio instead.

yes yes you need to do some 'mathematical manipulations' to finally arrive at ax. remember all the rules you were taught in the log chapter.

Right... I'm going to see what I can figure out from the log rules... :| *scared* ahahha :P

If someone could help me out, I'll be grateful.

The question asked for a General Statement.

Now, I know that this is a formula of some sort which I haven't figured out yet, but what about the first time they asked for the general statement on the last paragraph of the last page.

Is there a formula I need to put there too? Because I put:

The general statement is:

The value of infinite summation in the sequence tn will never be greater than the value of the number a in the sequence equation of (x ln⁡ (a))^n/n! or in other words, Sn ≤ a

remember that this is a Mathematics portfolio, therefore your general statement (GS) must be in the form of a formula. :)

please note that they are asking for the infinite sum, so they want S∞ not just Sn till n=10.

actually your GS is almost correct. you need to state the conditions too.

How many, and what values of a is recommended when variating the different values of a at the first general statement?

i've chosen 4, 15, and 23. But should i include more than three? and should i have more exotic numbers like sqrt5, 142/13 and so on...?

Edited by Magnus