Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

Hi, I am working on my IA and am having trouble graphing the sequences.

For example, tn=(ln2)^n)/n!)

I believe the reason I am having trouble graphing is because of the undefined solutions in between the terms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Also, I would like to graph the summation of the terms... any idea as to how to correctly put it in the calculator?

Can you plot y=((ln(2))^x)/x! instead? I think the factorial sign (!) makes it unable to be plotted.

And actually I thought they want you to plot Sn against n as in you put the data points and get a best fit regression..? Not by putting in the formula like this..

Hello, I happened to get the same. It's due next week so :crying: .

Anyway, my problem is that i feel like i could actually find the answer without having to actually solve ((x ln a)^n)/n! without having to solve everyone of them and then finding a ratio. Once i find the ratio it would be a lot simpler, but i would not know where to start since there doesn't really seem to be like a pattern that could stem out from the terms given, and if there were i would just pick n!

Would i find the ratio maybe through algebra? or do i solve every term and estimate a difference/ratio ??

Hello, I happened to get the same. It's due next week so :) .

Anyway, my problem is that i feel like i could actually find the answer without having to actually solve ((x ln a)^n)/n! without having to solve everyone of them and then finding a ratio. Once i find the ratio it would be a lot simpler, but i would not know where to start since there doesn't really seem to be like a pattern that could stem out from the terms given, and if there were i would just pick n!

Would i find the ratio maybe through algebra? or do i solve every term and estimate a difference/ratio ??

Ok have fun with this task! :P

Hmm I don't quite understand your question but from what I have understood, I think you didn't get what the task wants you to do. You find the first term by substituting n=1 to the expression and calculate it with your GDC! Do the same for the 2nd term, 3rd term, 4th term and so on and so forth. Then maybe put a table of the values of n and... Sn or Tn? I forgot. Sn yeah? And after that you find the general formula algebraically.

For example, these are just random numbers ok:

S1 = 3

S2 = 5

S3 = 7

S4 = 9

S5 = 11

You see the pattern? Find the general expression for Sn algebraically and then you'll end up with something like Sn = 2n+1 :S that's it! So in this task you don't need to algebraically evaluate from your ((x ln a)^n)/n! :P

No no no... i know what they want. I was just wondering whether i would have to find each term before adding, or if i could just figure out the common ratio/difference and root out from there? i talked to my teacher today, he hinted that it might be better just to solve each one and find each term... :) help was appreciatted tho! hehe :D atleast you answered :D

Who here still has their software copy of their portfolio? I need it badly since I don't have an utter clue on how to begin to do it...I know what to do, I just don't know how it should look like or how they are suppose to be presented.

please don't ask for completed work. If you need assistance ask for it specifically, and someone will answer you in a vague enough manner for it not to be considered cheating.

Thank you.

want to ask you if you know what formula and what steps/procedures should I do with this:

We know that the following sequences of terms where x = 1 and a = 2.

1, (ln 2) / 1 , (ln 2)^2 / 2 x 1 , (ln 2)^3 / 3 x 2 x 1 ...

Calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the above sequence for 0<(greater than or equal to) n < (greater than or equal to) 10.

Using technology (GDC or MS Excel) plot the relation between Sn and n. Describe what you notice from your plot. What doe this suggest about value of Sn as n approaches (infinity symbol)

...You don't actually have to answer them for me, just show me the steps needed to solve them, formulas or methods for me to do to obtain the needed values and ASSISTANCE FOR MS EXCEL...All I need is a clear path for this one question and I can use this as an example for the next 2 questions and you guys won't here a peep out of me until the 3rd question which is the general sequence...

THANKS IN ADVANCE, i hope I ain't that much of a bothersome person

Okay guys i have a quick question.... When graphing the results for the type I infinite summation portfolio assignment is the data discrete or continuous.

My first thought is discrete data, but i'm not 100% sure. Any thoughts?

What do 'discrete' and 'continuous' mean? :) pretty sure it's continuous but I can't remember. Give me 10 hours I shall answer this question.

want to ask you if you know what formula and what steps/procedures should I do with this:

We know that the following sequences of terms where x = 1 and a = 2.

1, (ln 2) / 1 , (ln 2)^2 / 2 x 1 , (ln 2)^3 / 3 x 2 x 1 ...

Calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the above sequence for 0<(greater than or equal to) n < (greater than or equal to) 10.

Using technology (GDC or MS Excel) plot the relation between Sn and n. Describe what you notice from your plot. What doe this suggest about value of Sn as n approaches (infinity symbol)

...You don't actually have to answer them for me, just show me the steps needed to solve them, formulas or methods for me to do to obtain the needed values and ASSISTANCE FOR MS EXCEL...All I need is a clear path for this one question and I can use this as an example for the next 2 questions and you guys won't here a peep out of me until the 3rd question which is the general sequence...

THANKS IN ADVANCE, i hope I ain't that much of a bothersome person

Calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the above sequence

Use your GDC, type each term and calculate its value.

Using technology (GDC or MS Excel) plot the relation between Sn and n

Who in the world actually told you to use excel? :D I actually suggest using your GDC instead. It's smarter. Read the quote below

How to Use Technology to Generate A Function

This procedure below are meant for TI-Nspire™ calculators.

1. Add Lists & Spreadsheet

2. Put in the values of your variables (n and Sn) in column A and B

3. Insert a new page

4. Add Data & Statistics

5. Plot Properties > Add X Variable > choose your independent variable ( n)

6. Plot Properties > Add Y Variable > choose your dependent variable (Sn)

7. Data series will appear

8. Analyze > Regression

1. Show Linear (mx+b)
  2. Show Linear (a+bx)
  3. Show Median - Median
  4. Show Quadratic
  5. Show Cubic
  6. Show Quartic
  7. Show Power
  8. Show Exponential
  9. Show Logarithmic

1. Show Sinusoidal
  2. Show Logistic (d=0)
  3. Show Logistic (d≠0)

9. Pick one desired regression

10. Trendline will appear and the equation will also be shown

11. You are done

• Like 1

Calculate the sum Sn of the first n terms of the above sequence

Use your GDC, type each term and calculate its value.

Using technology (GDC or MS Excel) plot the relation between Sn and n

Who in the world actually told you to use excel? :) I actually suggest using your GDC instead. It's smarter. Read the quote below

How to Use Technology to Generate A Function

This procedure below are meant for TI-Nspire™ calculators.

1. Add Lists & Spreadsheet

2. Put in the values of your variables (n and Sn) in column A and B

3. Insert a new page

4. Add Data & Statistics

5. Plot Properties > Add X Variable > choose your independent variable ( n)

6. Plot Properties > Add Y Variable > choose your dependent variable (Sn)

7. Data series will appear

8. Analyze > Regression

1. Show Linear (mx+b)
  2. Show Linear (a+bx)
  3. Show Median - Median
  4. Show Quadratic
  5. Show Cubic
  6. Show Quartic
  7. Show Power
  8. Show Exponential
  9. Show Logarithmic

1. Show Sinusoidal
  2. Show Logistic (d=0)
  3. Show Logistic (d≠0)

9. Pick one desired regression

10. Trendline will appear and the equation will also be shown

11. You are done

My teacher,apparently...Hmm...I haven't tamed my TI-89 that much yet, so, when I get to that stage I will come back to you to seek assistance on how to properly operate it if possible...

Thanks for your help.

By the way, is the sequence that is being used an Infinite Geometric Sequence? I just wanted to be sure...

What do 'discrete' and 'continuous' mean? :) pretty sure it's continuous but I can't remember. Give me 10 hours I shall answer this question.

Continuous would mean connecting the points on a graph of values, and discrete would mean leaving the values as points. heh... i just figured out the answer to that by looking up the difference between the two terms.....

'

I was about to hand in my Math IA assignment today, and almost made a HUGE mistake because of that.

Information from: http://infinity.cos.edu/faculty/woodbury/stats/tutorial/Data_Disc_Cont.htm

For the infinite summation (portfolio type 1) IA, i realized that my general sum sequence formula was a little off... is coming up with a general infinite summation sequence possible to state when I haven't learned anything about infinite series? Looking through my textbook it looks as though the Taylor series might have something to do with it... but trying to figure out how to use it isn't computing with me at the moment.

If the Taylor series is necessary, could someone please explain to me how it works? :) I really hope it can be done without that knowledge....

Thanks

Edited by pirate

Howdy lads!

I was wondering if any of you lads could give me the proper guidelines and outline for the IA?

OMG MARK!! I am so sorry I wrote a wrong outline hahaha I read the thread title wrongly, I swear I thought it was stellar numbers :) so I'll write you one now

Infinite Summation IA Outline

• Introduction
  • Introduce the general term tn
  • x=1, a=2 Short intro
  • x=1, a=2 Sn calculation
  • x=1, a=2 Table of values of n and Sn
  • x=1, a=2 Sn against n graph & description
  • x=1, a=3 Short intro
  • x=1, a=3 Sn calculation
  • x=1, a=3 Table of values of n and Sn
  • x=1, a=3 Sn against n graph & description
  • x=1, a=m Short intro
  • x=1, a=m Sn calculation
  • x=1, a=m Table of values of n and Sn
  • x=1, a=m Sn against n graph & description
  • x=1, a=n Short intro
  • x=1, a=n Sn calculation
  • x=1, a=n Table of values of n and Sn
  • x=1, a=n Sn against n graph & description
  • x=1, a=o Short intro
  • x=1, a=o Sn calculation
  • x=1, a=o Table of values of n and Sn
  • x=1, a=o Sn against n graph & description
  • x=1 Table of values of a and the number that Sn approaches
  • x=1 General statement of Sn in terms of n
  • (m,n,o are positive constants that you pick)
  • a=2, x=f T9 calculation
  • a=2, x=g T9 calculation
  • a=2, x=h T9 calculation
  • a=2, x=i T9 calculation
  • a=2, x=j T9 calculation
  • a=2 Table of values of x and T9
  • a=2 T9 against x graph & description
  • (f,g,h,i,j are positive constants that you pick)
  • a=3, x=p T9 calculation
  • a=3, x=q T9 calculation
  • a=3, x=r T9 calculation
  • a=3, x=s T9 calculation
  • a=3, x=t T9 calculation
  • a=3 Table of values of x and T9
  • a=3 T9 against x graph & description
  • (p,q,r,s,t are positive constants that you pick)
  • Similar necessary investigation until you can find the general statement for Tn(a,x) as n approaches ∞
  • a=v, x=w Tn calculation
  • a=v, x=w Table of values of n, Tn from calculation and Tn from general statement you have found
  • a=y, x=z Tn calculation
  • a=y, x=z Table of values of n, Tn from calculation and Tn from general statement you have found
  • (v,w,y,z are positive constants that you pick)
  • Conclusion (including confirmation of GS, scope and limitations of GS, explanation)

• Like 3

TBH I am sure it can be done without using the Taylor series but I believe it would help you to prove the general statement. But is taylor series even in the syllabus? :S

I actually faced a similar problem when doing my math type 1 IA. I was told I should give the answer in vector form but I haven't learned vectors in IB and that time I didn't have enough knowledge to do so. But I managed to ask a friend and read the textbook and finally did give the answer in vector form :D

However I asked my teacher and she said it's ok to not use vectors because she hasn't taught us vectors. She mentioned that she will actually note what topics we had covered when we did this IA so it would be understood because we hadn't learned vectors :)

So same for you, you can actually not use taylor series if you haven't learned it. However you may want to just learn and use it! I guess it's a good way to prove the GS so just use it!

If you have Ms. Word 2007, click menu Insert, add Equation (choose from the Built-in equations), scroll down, find Taylor Expansion there -- which is something similar to the picture below.

4f86329fe67a3e7238b31e2497d46ce1.png

Just ignore the sigma thing.. Now look at your Tn and Sn.

You see something similar? :)

If you are still in doubt I will give you further explanation :)

Edited by Desy ♫

My teacher,apparently...Hmm...I haven't tamed my TI-89 that much yet, so, when I get to that stage I will come back to you to seek assistance on how to properly operate it if possible...

Thanks for your help.

By the way, is the sequence that is being used an Infinite Geometric Sequence? I just wanted to be sure...

Oh haha ok. Btw I thought it was the stellar numbers IA haha that's why I was like how the heck could you use excel for this?? lol I think Ms. Excel works best for this infinite summation IA.

How to Use Ms. Excel 2007 for Infinite Summation IA

• Open your Ms. Excel 2007
  • In cell B2, put a
  • In cell C2, put x
  • In cell D2, put n
  • In cell E2, put Tn
  • In cell F2, put Sn
  • Merge cells B3 to B13 (Select these cells, On the Home tab, in the Alignment group, click Merge and Center)
  • Put the desired value of a in cell B3
  • Merge cells C3 to C13
  • Put the desired value of x in cell C3
  • Put 0 to 10 in cells D3 to D13 (values of n)
  • Type in the formula =(($C$3*LN($B$3))^D3)/FACT(D3) in cell E3
  • Copy that cell and paste in cells E4 to E13
    8JKOg.jpg
  • Type in the formula =SUM($E$3:E3) in cell F3
  • Copy that cell and paste in cells F4 to F13
    Kq87I.jpg
  • Select cells E3 to F13
  • Right click, Format Cells, Number, Category: Number, Decimal Places: 6, OK
  • When you want to tabulate other values of a and x, I suggest starting a new worksheet so you can use exactly the same formulas for Tn and Sn (look at the image posted below); because starting a new table will change the formulas a little bit and it is going to be very confusing unless you have learned how to use Ms. Excel before.
    4DzIT.jpg
  • You may want to take a screenshot and put it in Ms. Word so you do not need to calculate one by one the values of Tn and Sn. Do not forget to mention that you use Ms. Excel here.

And NO, it is NOT an Infinite Geometric Sequence. It is an infinite sequence, but it's not geometric.

Edited by Desy Glau
  • Like 2

If you have Ms. Word 2007, click menu Insert, add Equation (choose from the Built-in equations), scroll down, find Taylor Expansion there -- which is something similar to the picture below.

4f86329fe67a3e7238b31e2497d46ce1.png

Just ignore the sigma thing.. Now look at your Tn.

You see something similar? :D

If you are still in doubt I will give you further explanation :)

uhm, I'm confused which "INSERT" button I should click. and which MENU button as well. XP

OH WOW! O_O THANKS desy O_O WOW

How to Use Ms. Excel 2007 for Infinite Summation IA

• Open your Ms. Excel 2007
  • In cell B2, put a
  • In cell C2, put x
  • In cell D2, put n
  • In cell E2, put Tn
  • In cell F2, put Sn
  • Merge cells B3 to B13 (Select these cells, On the Home tab, in the Alignment group, click Merge and Center)
  • Put the desired value of a in cell B3
  • Merge cells C3 to C13
  • Put the desired value of x in cell C3
  • Put 0 to 10 in cells D3 to D13 (values of n)
  • Type in the formula =(($C$3*LN($B$3))^D3)/FACT(D3) in cell E3
  • Copy that cell and paste in cells E4 to E13
    infinitesummationexcel.jpg
  • Type in the formula =SUM($E$3:E3) in cell F3
  • Copy that cell and paste in cells F4 to F13
    infinitesummationexcel2.jpg
  • Select cells E3 to F13
  • Right click, Format Cells, Number, Category: Number, Decimal Places: 6, OK
  • When you want to tabulate other values of a and x, I suggest starting a new worksheet so you can use exactly the same formulas for Tn and Sn (look at the image posted below); because starting a new table will change the formulas a little bit and it is going to be very confusing unless you have learned how to use Ms. Excel before.
    infinitesummationexcel3.jpg
  • You may want to take a screenshot and put it in Ms. Word so you do not need to calculate one by one the values of Tn and Sn. Do not forget to mention that you use Ms. Excel here.

And NO, it is NOT an Infinite Geometric Sequence. It is an infinite sequence, but it's not geometric.

Desy, I am in your debt...Are them numbers just there as an example? Or what you used from using your own formula and steps?

uhm, I'm confused which "INSERT" button I should click. and which MENU button as well. XP

-_____-

Do you use Ms. Word 2007 and Windows? I have Ms. Word 2007 and I'm using Windows 7 so I can click Insert and then Equation (do not click the Office button!) or you can press Alt and = on your keyboard then you'll see the Design menu open, look on the left, click Equation and choose the Taylor Expansion one :)

OH WOW! O_O THANKS desy O_O WOW

YOU ARE WELCOME :ok:;)

Desy, I am in your debt...Are them numbers just there as an example? Or what you used from using your own formula and steps?

Yessh so you should help me with TOK someday :) jk.. the numbers in the picture are for the first part in the task and they are the results from my formula :S just use exactly the same formulas and exactly the same CELLS because you don't know how to use Excel!! lol :P:D

Edited by Desy ♫
  • Like 1