Title #8 "Art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth" (Pablo Picasso). Evaluate this claim in relation to a specific art form.

rrswong

I submitted my EE this year and I chose this topic. Make sure you explore all possible elements of the questions, lie, truth, art and the definitions of all of them. I did mine in relation to music, I explored the golden ratio, its relationship to mathematics and the process of creating music based on past experiences etc. (plus many more examples). Challenge the question and look at it from different angles, and above all make sure you take time perfecting your essay so it reflects your own personal thought process and beliefs.

But above all, enjoy the many laborious hours!

i have chosen topic number 8 for may 2011 essay submission. i have thought concentrating on literature as an art form. i am actually confused on how to relate this to the areas of knowledge and ways of knowing? what areas of knowledge could literature relate to? If anyone could give me suggestions i would be thankful.

I wanted to do this question with dance as my art form. I was thinking on contemporary dance, how the abstract steps can be the lie that brings us nearer to a true that can be feelings and true life experiences and histories. What do you think? Is it a good idea or should I focus in painting to have more examples and arguments?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I chose film as the art form, but I also found some examples - that support my arguments - in other art forms. Would it be ok to include them also, or should I strictly stick to examples from film?

Edited by Jan S

Hi! I chose film as the art form, but I also found some examples - that support my arguments - in other art forms. Would it be ok to include them also, or should I strictly stick to examples from film?

That ought to work, just as you keep the AoK in focus.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with TOK question, I am lost and I have no idea where to start, could someone please guide me as to how to go about doing this question

“Art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth” (Pablo Picasso). Evaluate this claim in relation to a specific art form (for example, visual arts, literature, theatre).

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted my EE this year and I chose this topic. Make sure you explore all possible elements of the questions, lie, truth, art and the definitions of all of them. I did mine in relation to music, I explored the golden ratio, its relationship to mathematics and the process of creating music based on past experiences etc. (plus many more examples). Challenge the question and look at it from different angles, and above all make sure you take time perfecting your essay so it reflects your own personal thought process and beliefs.

But above all, enjoy the many laborious hours!

How in the world did you do THAT? I'm doing mine in music as well and I'm encountering the problem of arguing how music can be a lie. What was your thesis?

Hey! I'm doing this question for my TOK essay, too. I've chosen theatre as my art form.

How can we work knowledge issues into our essay? My KI is 'Is artistic truth the same as truth in the context of the natural or human sciences?'

What is a lie in the natural/human sciences, anyway? I'm kind of stuck writing this part..

Well I don't understand why you would even choose to do that because the only area of knowledge it's worried about is the arts; it doesn't ask about any other AOK so you don't even need to talk about natural sciences. just focus on the arts. it would be pretty difficult to tie theater into the sciences, so i suggest that you brainstorm something else...

• 2 weeks later...

I also am writing on this prescribed title and from what I have been told, it is important to stick to the question and not drift away from it. The question is asking about art, not sciences or math, just art; therefore, sticking with art is key! Id suggest speaking with an art teacher about this question because when I did, she really helped me through discussion about the title. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

My prescribed title question for my TOK essay is:

“Art is a lie that brings us nearer tothe truth” (Pablo Picasso). Evaluate this claim in relation to a specific artform (for example, visual arts, literature, theatre)

When I re-wrote the question I came up with: How does this quote relate to any specific form of art?

I'm having trouble with the Ways and Areas of Knowledge and how to connect them. I also couldn't come up with knowledge issues, i'm very confused and lost. How do I start my essay?

• 2 weeks later...

I would go ahead and introduce literature in your introduction so that you can talk about lies and truth in the context of literature. So in a few sentences, you can flesh out the basic argument that will culminate in your thesis.

How you structure your body paragraphs will depend on how you make your thesis. If your main argument is something like "Literature is informative these kinds of truths but not these kinds," then you could have

1) intro w/ thesis

2) a kind of truth that literature reveals, although it may be through satire or sarcasm [making it a "lie" once you decide how literally you want to take Picasso's words] Incorporate WOK like language to explain how literature is a lie. If you talk about ironic imagery in a text you read, you can use perception as a WOK. so subtly include WOK as you discuss your AOK, literature.

3) counterexample. So if in the paragraph above, you said that literature reveals the truth about human nature, you could argue that it's not wise to make claims about authors based on their works. Now using the counter, you can refine the validity of your previous statement and hopefully transition into another kind of truth that lit reveals

4) another kind of truth

6) possible counter and/or another kind of truth

)Conclusion and why the topic is important to us readers

So I would weave in examples as you make claims and not separate them. Also incorporate WOK as you explain your examples.

And feel free to stick with your outline if you're more comfortable with it.

Good luck.

Sandwich recently made a post that explains knowledge issues [KI] and will help with your question. She said

Our teacher assigned us a presentation to do, but im kind of lost.

Does this question count as a knowledge issue? " How do we differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims"

Im planning to use the doomsday phenomenon as an example. What are some knowledge issues involved with it?

Im not sure of what to talk about in the powerpoint.

Well a knowledge issue would be an example of legitimate facts and false claims needing to be differentiated between, if that makes sense. Basically a 'knowledge issue' is the scenario/issue which would force you to ask the question: How do we differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims?

The Doomsday Phenomenon is a decent illustration of this, so it IS the Knowledge Issue. I suggest that in your powerpoint you focus on answering the question with respect to the Doomsday Phenomenon -- in other words, what processes do we use to differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims? Remember that this is "theory of knowledge" so it's all about how we acquire and process knowledge. Do we use reason to differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims? Do we use emotions, language, perception? Look long and hard at the IB's little pentagram or whatever it's called and basically use their key-words like reason, emotion etc. to answer the question for the knowledge issue you've come up with. I suggest you start by looking at where the information on the Doomsday Phenomenon comes from, how we acquire it etc. and then consider applying the Ways of Knowing to it :P

in this thread.

Using an analogous structure, your KI can answer how literature or another art form uses language to reveal truth. I think your knowledge issues are the same thing when you look at it through Sandwich's explanation. The second one just adds that language is used as a lie. So your KI could discuss literary features that manipulate language and reveal some truth in doing so. Does that help?

Sure?

The way that I was taught to address KI is different from most people, I think. My teacher never talked about KI but we always implied or embedded them in our arguments because they weren't something special. Over the course of fleshing out an argument, you were bound to have discussed a KI, apparently. I realize this sounds kind of hokey, so take advantage of the multiple threads we have on KI in the TOK forum, but if I was writing an essay on this topic, I wouldn't pose a question about the KI. I'd jump to answering the question ["technique X was used in this way with this result because of this"], which I didn't get penalized for in my TOK essay by IB graders as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this isn't directly relating to the question about this topic, but does anyone have any ideas about doing this essay with regards to Theatre - mainly musical theatre? Do you think it would work out?

I'm planning my essay now, and am thinking of focusing on theatre or film.

I think it would work well with musical theatre because you can look into the poetry in the songs and choreography, and write about how such auditory and visual stimuli tap into our conscious and subconscious selves to give insight into reality through the exaggeration and interpretation of it in art.

I, too, am struggling with getting this essay along, sorry. Hope it helps, though.

I know this isn't directly relating to the question about this topic, but does anyone have any ideas about doing this essay with regards to Theatre - mainly musical theatre? Do you think it would work out?

I'm planning my essay now, and am thinking of focusing on theatre or film.

I think it would work well with musical theatre because you can look into the poetry in the songs and choreography, and write about how such auditory and visual stimuli tap into our conscious and subconscious selves to give insight into reality through the exaggeration and interpretation of it in art.

I, too, am struggling with getting this essay along, sorry. Hope it helps, though.

I am writing mine on film, and was wondering whether I can get any thoughts and feedback on my points:

1) Nazi Propaganda Films (specifically Triumph)

-lie: distortion of the reality of Nazi Germany, over-glorification, art form filtered through a political veil

-however, the lie served to further contrast against other sources, and its eventual recognition as a lie served to steer the world closer to the true Nazi Germany

2) Moore Documentaries (either Sicko or Columbine)

-lie: editing techniques and scripted voiceovers present a heavily biased side of the political spectrum on issues

-does not in fact bring us nearer to the truth, as the enduring popularity of Moore films have served to present one-sided, even misrepresented arguments to the general public

3) Mockumentaries (Borat)

-lie: scripted work of fiction, taken face-value, it presents a false portrayal of nationalities and minorities, and work to further stereotypes

-however, as a work of satire the film brings to light numerous issues in American society; uses humour to by-pass political rhetoric to get straight to the issue

My thesis is going to be that Picasso's claim is accurate for film only if society is able to recognize the artwork's shortcomings and impurities. I also have two quick questions regarding counter-claims and KIs.

Reading over the previous posts in this thread, counter-claims popped up briefly, and that poster used them within one single point. Here, I've essentially used my second point, Michael Moore's documentaries, in its entirety as a counter-claim to the topic. Is this okay? Or am I expected to have a counter-claim within each of my three points?

I also know that many posts have been made regarding KIs, but I'm still slightly confused on these. My teacher never really mentioned them at all, and a poster above mentioned that he simply wrote the paper like a normal essay, and that KIs would end up being unavoidable in the process. Should I do this, or should I make a more obvious use of KIs within my paper?

Thanks in advance.