legitimate facts and false claims

random111

Our teacher assigned us a presentation to do, but im kind of lost.

Does this question count as a knowledge issue? " How do we differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims"

Im planning to use the doomsday phenomenon as an example. What are some knowledge issues involved with it?

Im not sure of what to talk about in the powerpoint.

I'm not saying my ideas are right by any means but a good place to start would be to give a short intro on what the doomsday phenomenon is.

Where it originated from, why people believe in it etc.

Maybe give some points for and against and give your opinion on it.

Personally i handwrite some points down in a sort of mini essay and then concentrate them down whilst looking at the mark scheme.

Most importantly, check with your teacher and make sure you're 100% confident with what you're doing, its their job.

Our teacher assigned us a presentation to do, but im kind of lost.

Does this question count as a knowledge issue? " How do we differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims"

Im planning to use the doomsday phenomenon as an example. What are some knowledge issues involved with it?

Im not sure of what to talk about in the powerpoint.

Well a knowledge issue would be an example of legitimate facts and false claims needing to be differentiated between, if that makes sense. Basically a 'knowledge issue' is the scenario/issue which would force you to ask the question: How do we differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims?

The Doomsday Phenomenon is a decent illustration of this, so it IS the Knowledge Issue. I suggest that in your powerpoint you focus on answering the question with respect to the Doomsday Phenomenon -- in other words, what processes do we use to differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims? Remember that this is "theory of knowledge" so it's all about how we acquire and process knowledge. Do we use reason to differentiate between legitimate facts and false claims? Do we use emotions, language, perception? Look long and hard at the IB's little pentagram or whatever it's called and basically use their key-words like reason, emotion etc. to answer the question for the knowledge issue you've come up with. I suggest you start by looking at where the information on the Doomsday Phenomenon comes from, how we acquire it etc. and then consider applying the Ways of Knowing to it :P