Title #8 "Art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth" (Pablo Picasso). Evaluate this claim in relation to a specific art form.

rrswong

I have read Animal Farm, but sadly have not read The Crucible. The only thing still bothering me is how to start off after my intro paragraph. Should I begin writing on an example of satire/allegory after a few sentences explaining how fiction writing is a lie, yet educates?

That's one way to do it.

You've already figured out your argument?

If you haven't you should really make an outline with the points you want to discuss and real life examples that help support your arguments and counterclaims for them and all that good stuff.

After I do outlines, I make a thesis--one or two sentences of what my argument is. Then I jump into the body paragraphs. Then after reviewing the body paragraphs, I look at how I want to introduce the content. It helps me to do the introduction after the body. And lastly, I write the conclusion.

I do the intro after I've written most of the paper so that I know how to hook the reader without being totally random, or if I am saying something random, then I can gauge how effective it will be. It's just less stress, so try that. You might just not be able to write the body without any intro, so go ahead and write the intro with the essentials. Introduce the quotation and discuss what you think it means and start to talk about your answer to the question. I suggest you not worry about the intro until you've got a solid draft done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have also chosen this question, but I do not know if choose the visual arts or the theatre. Also I do not know exactly how do I have to write the tok essay, could someone please help me ? :P

Hi, I have also chosen this question, but I do not know if choose the visual arts or the theatre. Also I do not know exactly how do I have to write the tok essay, could someone please help me ? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of doing this title on film too.

The utmost significant aspect that comes up to my mind is censorship.

Heavy censorship can distort reality to form a lie, but also brings out the truth in what is considered ethical in society?

But then I have no idea about anything else.

Read this post

Basically, a counterclaim is used in TOK essays to show that you've not only thought about why your argument is right but why other, opposing arguments are not as strong as yours. So whatever your argument is, look for reasons it might be wrong or situations where it might not hold true or other points of view that don't agree with your argument. That's the counterclaim. Then you'll want to discuss the counterclaim a little more and refute or accept it.

I make outlines for my TOK essay, which include counterclaims. This is part of my outline for my essay last year.

We have some sort of order for pretty mucheverything

o Roads, addresses, aisles in stores, maps,hot=red & cold=blue, libraries [Dewey decimal system], dailyroutines/habits, assigned seats, etc.

o Counter: Some people don’t like order. Theyvalue lack of rigidity and structure and laws. They like rustic scenes and ‘thegreat outdoors’ and randomness.

Does that make any sense? My point was that we have so much order in our lives even though we don't acknowledge it. Then my counterclaim was that we still value chaos. And then I countered my counterclaim by saying even when we try to get away by camping and whatnot, we still bring order with us--we have a plan, a list of supplies, a map, safety rules, etc.

• Like 1

What is a knowledge issue ??? People please help me!!! In my school we don't do anything on TOK lessons we are like sitting and doing homework from other subjects ! I decided to write my TOK essay on this topic and now I am reading guidelines how to write good essay and this 'knowledge issue' is following me all the time and i don't know what the hell is that thing.

What is a knowledge issue ??? People please help me!!! In my school we don't do anything on TOK lessons we are like sitting and doing homework from other subjects ! I decided to write my TOK essay on this topic and now I am reading guidelines how to write good essay and this 'knowledge issue' is following me all the time and i don't know what the hell is that thing.

Ok thank you very much!!! ;*****

But just to make me completely sure that I understand it I made up my own example:

Let's consider claim that 'having a pet is beneficial'

How do we know that having a dog is beneficial? <----------- it is not a KI because it is specific

How do we know that having a pet is beneficial? <------------ it is a KI

Having a dog is not beneficial <------------ Knowledge claim

Is that correct??

Ok thank you very much!!! ;*****

But just to make me completely sure that I understand it I made up my own example:

Let's consider claim that 'having a pet is beneficial'

How do we know that having a dog is beneficial? <----------- it is not a KI because it is specific

How do we know that having a pet is beneficial? <------------ it is a KI

Having a dog is not beneficial <------------ Knowledge claim

Is that correct??

You're getting there. But I'd say

How do we know that having a per is beneficial? - specific, not a KI (or a bad one)

How could we test the positive effects of animals? - KI

How can one test positive effects without a placebo group? - better KI

Is a placebo necessary to arrive at a certain conclusion? - better KI

Having a dog is not beneficial - knowledge claim

I mention placebo, since you can't test whether pets are beneficial with a placebo group, that's why that's important in relation to this topic.

I'm thinking about starting my essay on this question. I was wondering if "Rap Music" would count as a specific art form? Lol i want to do it on music but i think that would be too broad and i think that the lyrical content in rap is really interesting and i know a lot about it too. I just didnt know if it was a specific art form?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about starting my essay on this question. I was wondering if "Rap Music" would count as a specific art form? Lol i want to do it on music but i think that would be too broad and i think that the lyrical content in rap is really interesting and i know a lot about it too. I just didnt know if it was a specific art form?

Thank you!

I think that should be fine. To take one specific aspect of music would narrow it down, which is good. But I would try to relate to music in general in the conclusion or introduction.

:no:

• 2 weeks later...

We were discussing an idea in TOK that might get you some ideas...

The question was whether literature (or simply 'the narrative') is as valid way of learning about human behavior as psychology. Interestingly, my teacher brought up this claim (apparently based on evidence, though I haven't looked into it further - as you may like to) that humans are biologically programmed to receive knowledge in narrative format.

The best example i can think of at the moment is philosophical fiction. There are people at my school who have read whole essays by George Berkley and still not quite understood what he was getting at, but as soon as they read a couple of stories from Borges' Labyrinths, it all made perfect sense. In these magical-realist writings, these bizarre completely surreal works of fiction, we can find atleast one man's idea of truth.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of doing this topic related to Visual Arts as well

I suppose the lie could be the artists image, as in literature it is fiction, so for example an abstract painting isnt real... or maybe even the artists message could be a lie, but the truth could be how we connect with the artist and explore his/her thoughts feelings attitudes while painting etc...

I just wanted to know what anyone thought about that or has any other contributions towards Visual Arts.

The question was whether literature (or simply 'the narrative') is as valid way of learning about human behavior as psychology.

Some years ago there was a ToK title related to this, about whether "we will always learn more about human behaviour from literature than psychology".

Thank you!

I think that should be fine. To take one specific aspect of music would narrow it down, which is good. But I would try to relate to music in general in the conclusion or introduction.

:yes:

okay thank you very much, i have just completed a first draft...not sounding too good. I might just answer another question too so that I can show my teacher a few after summer :blink:

• 5 weeks later...