IB Grade Calculator

Redstar

While I was in IB a friend of mine decided to do a Physics IB grade calculator, another friend then added Economics into the calculator, and then I decided to add as many other subjects I could. Ok, now that the necessary credit has been given to my friends I can now explain how this works.

Most IB students wonder how much they need to get a 7, how close they are, how many points they need in the exams, given that they already know their IA grades, etc. With this calculator I hope to make it a lot easier for everyone to find these things out. You simply find the subject you want, then put in the amount of points in each component (e.g. Internal Assessment, Paper 1, Paper 2, Paper 3) and then you'll see your total percentage. Included in the calculator are the grade boundaries for each subject (using the Nov 2008 boundaries, because those are the ones I had available) so you can see what your IB grade is according to the points you entered.

This is also particularly useful for when your IB grades have already come out and you then receive your component grades. You can enter your component grades to see how close you are to a grade boundary to see if its worth an appeal or not. Thanks to this I saw that I was 3 points away from a 7 in Spanish A1 SL, so I appealed and I got a grade change (although I wasn't so lucky with English).

Download the attachment at the bottom of this post.

Understanding the excel calculator

After each subject there are 5 rows.

Row 1: The components. There is a series of columns with the components AND the maximum points for each component.

Row 2: Points. This is where you input the numbers. ONLY edit this row. Do NOT change the other rows..

Row 3: After you enter the points, this row will change to show you the percentage for each component.

Row 4: The weighting. This is just so you can know the weighting for each component. DO NOT EDIT THIS ROW. They are needed for the excel formulae.

Row 5: Your weighted percentage for each component. The last column in this row will give you your FINAL percentage. Compare this final percentage to the grade boundaries to find out your IB grade.

Other stuff to remember

In the Group 1 Languages, if you are doing HL, then you have to get an average between your 2 world literature assignments if you want to input the score. For both HL and SL, the "Internal Assessment" component refers to your Oral Presentation and Oral Commentary, each one with maximum points 30. You have to add both together to get a maximum score of 60, which is what I've used in the calculator.

Subjects included:

TOK and Extended Essay

GROUP 1:

Arabic A1 HL/SL

English A1 HL/SL

Spanish A1 HL/SL

GROUP 2:

English A2 HL/SL

GROUP 3:

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

Physics HL

GROUP 4:

Economics HL/SL

Geography HL/SL

History HL/SL

Psychology HL/SL

GROUP 5:

Computer Science HL/SL

Mathematics HL/SL

If a subject you're doing is not included

If you want me to add a subject (and I have no doubt you will, because I am missing a LOT of subjects many people do) then I need you to post here with the following information:

- Name of subject

- Names of all the components

- Maximum points for each component

- Weighting for each component.

I really need Bio, Chem and Physics SL =(

If you can't find the grade boundaries then don't worry, but it would be very helpful if you do. They do not have to be of November 2008.

If you find anything wrong, let me know and I'll change it.

IB_Grade_Calculator.xls

Edited by Redstar
  • Like 4

Wow Amazing! I love this..

ITGS SL

Paper 1(25%)

Paper 2(45%)

IA(30%)

Arabic A1 SL..

same everything, but i dont know what the grade boundries are.

oh and how do you feel abuot finishing IB?

I've updated the calculator to include Arabic A1 HL/SL (the original post has been updated to include Arabic in the list of subjects). All A1 languages use the same weightings. If you ever find the boundaries (of any year, doesn't have to be November 2008) tell me so I can add them.

Anyways, about ITGS SL, I also need to know what the maximum scores for each component is. For example, in Physics HL, the IA has a maximum of 48 points, Paper 1 has 40 points, Paper 2 has 95 and Paper 3 has 60. I need to know the same thing for the ITGS components so that when you enter a score, the excel formulae can calculate the percentages.

And about finishing IB: its awesome. Although after finishing, its such a radical change in the amount of work (from total stress to absolutely nothing) that I had no idea what to do with all my free time. I just chose to sleep most of the time, since I hardly seemed to sleep during IB.

Edited by Redstar

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any chance you could add german, and french H/L and s/l to the grade calculator. Thank You :crying:

Don't bother, they don't like people like us here. There's a hierarchy. (By the way, brilliant person who made this calculator, could you post this at ibscrewed.net or something? Pretty please?)

Edit: my apologies, I must have been logged out when I tried to download it, and assumed it was due to a lack of VIP. Sorry, my comment was pretty uncalled for.

Edited by Panserborne

• 4 weeks later...

This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks!

How much do we have to pay to appeal though?

I think that the cost to appeal is $88, but there are different categories of appeals. I think that with $88 you only get your external components remarked (as in your written papers, but not your internal components), but I'm not really sure.

this is like a drug for us poor ib addicts.

could you please add history hl?

IA- 20%, out of 20 pts

P1-20%, out of 25 pts

P2-25%, out of 40 pts

p3-35%, out of 60 pts

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I've already included History HL in the calculator. I've just downloaded it and it's right there, below Geography HL.

But still, thanks for having been so interested in the calculator :(

I think that the cost to appeal is $88, but there are different categories of appeals. I think that with $88 you only get your external components remarked (as in your written papers, but not your internal components), but I'm not really sure.

I remember paying $120 or $140 (something like that) last year... but yeah, only externals are 'reassessed'.

The grade will change only if it is close to the grade boundary. Redstar said that his Spanish grade changed but not his English one. The examiner could also decide that your work doesn't deserve a higher grade, and raise it to just below the next boundary. Your grade can also fall (and change from a 6 to a 5 or so on), so if you want to appeal, make sure that you are at the top end of the grade boundary.

Am I right that if you appeal and the grade does change, you don't have to pay for it? But if the grade stays the same, then you need to pay however much it is? And you can wait to appeal until the component grades come out, right?

Am I right that if you appeal and the grade does change, you don't have to pay for it? But if the grade stays the same, then you need to pay however much it is? And you can wait to appeal until the component grades come out, right?

Depends on the school. Apparently, for my school, even if my mark had gone up, I would have had to pay... not worth it imo if I had known, but I didn't. Yes, you can wait until component grades come out.

It's that expensive? goodness... XD but most of the grades usually change right?...

Not true. I was 1 mark off from a 7 in Econ (or about 0.25% since they round up)... and didn't get it. :P A few friends were also a mark away and were not awarded a higher grade.

The rules have changed and for students testing in M09 and beyond, points can go up or down. So remark with confidence, because if you have a 39 and are greedy to get a 40, it might just be that you'll drop down to 35.

The grade will change only if it is close to the grade boundary. Redstar said that his Spanish grade changed but not his English one. The examiner could also decide that your work doesn't deserve a higher grade, and raise it to just below the next boundary. Your grade can also fall (and change from a 6 to a 5 or so on), so if you want to appeal, make sure that you are at the top end of the grade boundary.

I had my physics SL remarked...ended up going up from a 6 to 7 as they gave me 7 more marks.

They only return your money if a certain number of students' (I forget the number) marks from a school increase by 4% or more...

Interesting. That's completely different to what happened with me :)

My Spanish grade was changed from a 6 to a 7 and I got my $88 back. Every other student whose grade was changed in any subject got their money back. I don't think there's a limit of students that needs to be reached for money to be given back, since the first student whose grade was changed was told he would get his money back, before any other students had received any notifications on whether their grades would change.

Edited by Redstar

Pay first, refund later. Haha. So do you pay the school, who forwards it on to the IB? Or do you have to pay to some IB bank account in Geneva that may/may not be asociated with money laundering? I'd love to catch one of the IB directors in the act of laundering money. Maybe to sya sorry for watsing students money, they'd lower grade boundaries :)

You pay the money to the school. At my school, you have to do it in cash; we've also been informed that you do get your money back if the grade is raised.

The thing where they can lower grades too now makes me hope I'll not be close to any boundaries...