Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

You'd have to take a test to demonstrate your proficiency in German. If you're applying for a course taught in English (e.g. at Jacob's), however, I'm sure it does not matter.

Do you know how hard that test is? I think I can get a 7 in German and I plan to study German in Freiburg after my graduation, the university in my town has a exchange program with Freiburg.

I was to say the same like UnicornandDaisies because, if you really like German music, you MUST listen tu "Die Ärzte" !!

Funny though is to listen to German Disney Songs on Youtube ^^

And here are a few more german bands:

Silbermond

Deichkind

Die Fantastischen Vier (Fanta 4)

Fettes Brot

Killerpilze (not really one of my faves...)

Juli

La Fee

Polarkreis 18

Revolverheld

Roger Cicero

Sportfreunde Stiller

Wir sind Helden

And it is hilarious to watch people write about German stuff if you are german yourself... Quite funny though ^^

I do German SL but I am thinking about changing to HL instead of English HL ... Not sure yet...

Tokio Hotel has some nice (English) songs though! And wtf, I didn't think they were that popular?

Nah, I don't like them either. And they are not popular amongst the people I know (everybody hates them), but they are quite popular among the kids who call themselves "emos" :D

And it of course depends where you go.

I know that it Poland for instance, they are very popular. (I know this because of my Polish exchange students... OMG...)

• 1 month later...

For German

Read lots or watch movies in German with subtitles with your mother tongue. Afterwards try to do summaries of the movies/books and hand them into your teacher. It is all about getting used to the grammar which includes when to use das, and dass as well as when to use der, die and das.

You will only memorize this by lots of practice so read much and also learn some theory about akkusativ, dativ, genitiv (google these) to try and get a scheme into your writing.

Buying an electronic translating dictionary is great as you can save words and phrases to memorize them as you can save them on the dictionaries and always look at them.

When it comes to grammar, I think you learn more by reading, since you can't hear the difference between "dass" and "das", and it's usually hard to distinguish between "dem" and "den" in spoken languages.

I prefer reading, writing words you don't understand on a paper, looking them up, saving the paper and reading through it once in a while. Hopefully you'll get some grammar into your head, so you don't have to spend ours thinking about whether you say "Ein klein Haus" or "Ein kleines Haus".

About the good german films:

Downfall (about Hitler) is good and you can kill two birds with one stone- german and history :crying:

The lives of Others is also really interesting, again historical based.

The other one we have watched in class is barfuss, about a woman who has the mental age of a child however unless you are into cheesy romantic comedies its not very good.

As for grammar, i find that reading a lot of books/articles in german definately helps since you pick more up subconciously.

About the good german films:

Downfall (about Hitler) is good and you can kill two birds with one stone- german and history :crying:

The lives of Others is also really interesting, again historical based.

The other one we have watched in class is barfuss, about a woman who has the mental age of a child however unless you are into cheesy romantic comedies its not very good.

As for grammar, i find that reading a lot of books/articles in german definately helps since you pick more up subconciously.

I have been living in Germany for quite some time now, and I still have some problems with "Artikeln". On that case, I sometimes seriously think that you can only do it when you are mothertongue... Of course there are some extra rules such as every noun ending with "-keit", "-heit", or "-ung" are female and such stuff, but I still don't have the gist of it even though most of them come automatically now.

I really have to say, for a foreigner, German is a hard language.

I know... It's really hard to learn that. And why do they have the verbs last in the sentence? The more clauses you have, the more incomprehensible it gets. German is a language intended for misunderstandings! :D

By the way, what books are you guys reading (A1, A2 or B)? We've been reading Das kurze Leben der Sophie Scholl, Der Prozess, Die Verwandlung, now we're reading Faust (and I don't get anything) and then we'll read Die Leiden des jungen Werthers.

I don't know if this helps but in a last ditch attempt at learning the definite articles for a test I made up a rhyme thing, I know the table is really basic but it caused me a lot of problems.

Nominative Accusative Dative

Mascilune der den dem

Feminine die die der

Neuter das das dem

Plural die die der

Well if you look at the last letter it spells rese, nese, mrmn which i always imagine as three (pathetic dragons), anyway, now I have managed to embarras myself...

The books i read are purely for fun, just whatever I find. normally they are quite basic but for grammar it doesn't matter, they still have complexed structures in them. Also articles on the internet are pretty good too :D

I do german B apparently