Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

So who amongst us is doing IB German B (SL or HL)?

Might be a place to share tips? Advice? Strategies for coping with awful teachers?

Shall I start then?

I've got hold of the Alevel equivalant (NCEA) vocab list. Now, it's not fun, but have divided it up into weekly sections and am learning one section a week. Pretty boring but really helps!

Any other ideas?

I'm a German B HL student :D I don't really have any advice though, I'm the only student in my class so it's pretty much up to myself what we do during the lessons, usually I read some books, articles etc. and write something about them, ha ha. But it seems to work, I got a 6/7 on my mocks exams last year, so hopefully exams will be a piece of cake. I'm more worried about the Individual Oral... Speaking a language is always harder. What topics will/did you guys choose for the Ind.O? Could need some tips there.

Deutsch für immer :D

I think you should listen to Nevada Tan... or Panik (I think this is what they go by now). I don't understand a word of what they sing but it's nice music. :rofl:

Thanks for the tip! The music is not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate the lyrics (and love myself for understanding almost every word of what they sing :ok: )... You don't happen to know the name of the hot band member? (the hiphop dude) :D

Thanks for the tip! The music is not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate the lyrics (and love myself for understanding almost every word of what they sing :ok: )... You don't happen to know the name of the hot band member? (the hiphop dude) :D

They're a relatively attractive band. :rofl: I looked on Wiki and I think Timo "T:mo" Sonnenschein is the rapper? Tokio Hotel also has some German songs but the singer looks (or looked) like a girl. BUT good music nonetheless, especially if you're into nu metal/hard rock, etc. I'm just sad I don't understand any of it.

The guy in the front??

105387.jpg

383042.jpg

Tokio Hotel:

8143147.jpg

Eeeeek. He still looks feminine. :D

Edit: Found some more German artists in my playlist: Rammstein, Eisbrecher, and Oomph. :)

Edited by Irene

• 2 weeks later...
What? You are only doing the SL? We all chose German A1 HL in my class!

Yeah, I started off with German A1 HL (I had 4 HL's). I then decided to drop it not only because I thought 4 HL's were too much work, but also because I didn't feel like I was sufficiently prepared for that class during MYP.

When it comes to German artists, I think Nena - 99 Luftballons is a great song. Rödelheim Hartreim Projekt has some good songs, even though it is close to impossible to hear what they say. Rammstein is not really my music, but it is nice to listen to them and feel good about how much I understand. :proud:

I have German A2 SL. I don't like Rammstein and Tokio Hotel though. And it annoys me that everybody asks me whether I like them when I tell them that I live in Germany.

Well Rammstein is a really famous German band and it's okay to connect Germany with them. But freakin' Tokio Hotel??? It's a shame that they really 'represent' Germany :unsure:

Well Rammstein is a really famous German band and it's okay to connect Germany with them. But freakin' Tokio Hotel??? It's a shame that they really 'represent' Germany :)

Tokio Hotel has some nice (English) songs though! And wtf, I didn't think they were that popular?

Nevada Tan is still my fav by far. :unsure:

Yeah, I started off with German A1 HL (I had 4 HL's). I then decided to drop it not only because I thought 4 HL's were too much work, but also because I didn't feel like I was sufficiently prepared for that class during MYP.

I do German A1 as well but I have to do HL or it won't be accepted to study medicine in Germany... Even if I'm not sure if I want to study it there... And apparently we don't get the Abitur without doing German HL <3 Wanna drop it as well cos have 4 HL and I need the 2 scienes and I def won't drop History as it's the subject I love most!

And apparently we don't get the Abitur without doing German HL <3

Huh? Why would you want to get the Abitur if you're getting the IB diploma?

It's not true that you need German A1 HL to study in Germany - I do SL and have been told several times (including by my IBC) that I can study in Germany without any restrictions.

Edited by Max