Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Hallo :D

Ich brauche ein bisschen hilfe :P

I am starting the IB this year (September) and am taking German SL but A2 (I think?!) in order that I get a bilingual diploma. People have told me it is the same standard as A1 but less intensity/content. This terrifies me as I am certainly not fluent :) Can anyone help me with how difficult the syllabus may be, or any indication as to the proficiency I need?

Gah

Hallo :console:

Ich brauche ein bisschen hilfe :console:

I am starting the IB this year (September) and am taking German SL but A2 (I think?!) in order that I get a bilingual diploma. People have told me it is the same standard as A1 but less intensity/content. This terrifies me as I am certainly not fluent :ashika: Can anyone help me with how difficult the syllabus may be, or any indication as to the proficiency I need?

Gah

Tag,

in order to attain a 6-7 you should be quite fluent in that language. A2 requires you to draw comparisons between texts, write essays and analyze novels/poetry. To do this without being fluent is pretty difficult and it would be near impossible to get a top grade, especially since the grade boundaries for German A2 are much harsher than those for English A2. If I were you, I'd start with German A2, see how that goes and if it proves to be too difficult, drop to German B SL/HL.

Edited by Max

• 2 weeks later...

To do this without being fluent is pretty difficult and it would be near impossible to get a top grade, especially since the grade boundaries for German A2 are much harsher than those for English A2.

Das ist aber ungerecht!

Why is it like that?

To do this without being fluent is pretty difficult and it would be near impossible to get a top grade, especially since the grade boundaries for German A2 are much harsher than those for English A2.

Das ist aber ungerecht!

Why is it like that?

Fewer people take German A2 and usually those who take it are pretty much fluent. If the grade boundaries from English A2 were used, far more people would get 7s than the IB wants to.

Fewer people take German A2 and usually those who take it are pretty much fluent. If the grade boundaries from English A2 were used, far more people would get 7s than the IB wants to.

Yeah, the people taking Swedish A2 in my school are generally much more fluent than the English A2 students. But it's not fair anyway. :D