I.M, good or bad?

missrunway

Do you think that Instant Messaging is one of the greatest inventions of our time, or one of the worst? IMO, I.M has both good and bad traits.

Good:

stress redoucer

allows you to have many conversations at once

Easily mulitask

Bad:

procrastinating/distraction

rush/imcompelte homework

addiction

stay up to the wee hours

cyber bullying

I think there are far more cons then pros when it comes to instant messaging. Do you think that I.M is good, bad or are you nuteral?

I thought you'd left the site already, missrunway :P

Personally, I'm what you call "nuteral". However, right now I should be writing my WLA2 so I'll check that "imcompelte homework" box.

Ironically enough, I've also come to notice that IM makes us not care about seplling.

Well, I there are people who don't have the smarts to block the bullies and bullying can continue in class.

If you don't know how to click a button that says BLOCK then how the hell are you able to sign in to Messenger? That involves more typing and more clicking. Sure, bullying can continue in class, but that's hardly cyber bullying.

Oh, and you can also set your status to away and ignore the person, or just not go on Messenger.

That doesn't answer my original question though. To answer yours - replying to messages is only positive if the person who messaged me is someone I want to talk to. :P

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by moneyfaery

Personally, I'm what you call "nuteral". However, right now I should be writing my WLA2 so I'll check that "imcompelte homework" box.

Ironically enough, I've also come to notice that IM makes us not care about seplling.

Haha, I love you Joel.

:P

---

I think IM is alright as long as you know your limits and know how to multitask efficiently.

I really can't imagine not having it because I always need to be talking to someone in some sort of form :P

I think it's good. I can't be on my computer without being on MSN. Even if I'm not talking to anyone, haha.

It just lets me keep in touch with people that would otherwise be difficult to stay in touch with. My boyfriend and best friends and I are at separate colleges, we talk everyday on MSN. Without MSN, it would be much harder to maintain long distance relationships for me.

You made me giggle, and you made my day. And I hate Mondays. So thank you. :P

Now, on to answering the question. Personally, I find IMing too distracting to do it at the same time as working. It just seriously reduces my focus on whatever I'm doing, even though there are people I'd like to be talking to online... I guess it depends on whether or not you're good at multitasking. I fail at it, so IMing just comes off as a distraction to me when I'm doing school work.

But in other terms -- I mean, when not bringing school into the "IMing picture", if that makes sense -- then I think it has more pros than cons. I'm a third culture kid and have friends all over the place, so it really helps me to stay in contact with them. Well there's e-mail too, but IMing is fast, and somehow more personal. Deissi is right, though, and sometimes IMing makes people worse at spelling -- I mean, seplling :P

Not only does IM help you procrastinate, it has also made clear forms of expression redundant. I have had many misunderstandings on IM because it doesn't show sarcasm, expression, and you cannot tell if the other person is lying, because you can't look at his or her eyes.

EDIT: ok webcam you can see their eyes, but webcamming is such a hassle coming from a country with a slow broadband.

Edited by Forester

I personally love IM. But I do admit it sometimes procrastinate me from works. When typing message, we cannot undo back once we pressed enter. That is the bad part especially when we accidentally typed things that we should not. And it also promotes the use of short forms like

ur, r, ppl, w, no p, n,...

However, through this, I got to know lots of people around the world. I have friends from US, Lebanon, Egypt, UK and so forth. And I just love to have friends around the world. IM is like my second world. I have ym, msn and skype. My friends are everywhere. =D

• 3 weeks later...

Instant messaging is one of the greatest technological advancements of our time. the only problem is that i don't think they took into account the fact that people might become hooked, and therefore decrease social (in person) interactions, or get distracted from doing the work they need to do .