I.M, good or bad?

missrunway

You can also discuss and ask your friends abt work when there's a big deadline coming up and you need help. This way you don't need to spend tons of money making phone calls , show them what you've got and stuff.

Wow, this topic reminds me of what we have to do now in my language B class. Listing the pros and cons of internet. Original.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I find that IM is useful in the fact that it is, well, instant. No waiting for email replies, or phoning and getting an answering machine. It is all there. The person, and your message. I like that feature of it because then if I have a question I don't have to wait forever to get a reply.

The bad part is of course that once you get on and start talking to someone the chances of getting anything done for the next half hour or more is pretty much impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's good for connecting with past friends - I have heaps of friends from my old school, and msn is a really good way of continuing a connection with them. That said, I have a designated time that I'm on msn for, and other than that, I only go on to ask a question or homework.

Instant Messaging is essential for me as a student, it really helps to reduce stress after 3 or 4 hours of homework. It's also really helpful in connecting me with my friends so we can set up dates for projects, homework sessions etc. I get the addicting aspect of it, I blame Facebook for my chronic procrastination but I think you have to just shut your computer off while working,(that's unless you're researching) so you won't be tempted to chat.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's fantastic. Schoolwise, it's nice to be able to instantly ask several people to clarify something on an assignment or get their opinion on what you're working on. It also makes group projects a ton easier, because it's not always easy to organize a get-together at someone's house.

I don't think it's so good for the people who waste their time nearly 24/7 on the computer however. Nothing beats hanging out face-to-face =]

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think it's terrible, but can be useful if, again, managed wisely.

If you let it take over everything else you're doing or should do, then obviously it can't be a good thing.

My entire last year was tainted by the plague of the IM, and I'm not planning to let that happen to me again.

I've decided to only go on when I absolutely need something.

Regardless of whether it is good or bad, I agree with the statement that IM is one of the greatest technological advancements of our time. When IM became popular, so did the fundamental ideas and/or advancements for social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Skype and MySpace.

I think the big deal with IM is that it connects all different types of communication together; phone (mic), video (webcam), texting (chat), status updates (personal message bar), photo (display picture). IM is ideal when you need it for communication, and harmful when you need to do something else. One thing I always thought was weird was when people logged into IM but they weren't at their computers.

I don't know. I've never been seriously addicted to MSN, and I can easily switch it off at anytime. I don't need it.

Also, don't forget the physical implications that are caused when people spend so much time in front of the screen. Back pains, eye strain...

Although, overall, I think that if people use it in moderation, it has more pros than the cons. The question is, how do we get people to do that?