Everybody's predicted 40+?

Chesire_Cat

Wow, some cases are similar to mine. I go to the Sultan's School, and along with the American British Academy, it's the only IBworld school in the country. The same problem with the entrance conditions:

It's like, you got the money, you're welcome. We pay 8,571.21 USD a year. So only the sort of high class people go to this school, like the minister's kids, largwe businesses...etc. Don't mistake me for one of them, lol. My dad is a prof, so the university provides certain amounts for those that came from western countries.

But yeah, that's my point, some people are absolutly qualified to do the IB, but cant get in because they can't afford it. Whereas half of the people in the IBD are going to fail it.

As for the predicted grades, we were all predicted 39 or lower, although some of us have the full potential to get 42 or higher.

We are the third batch, so our teachers are somehow used to this.

Oh god, now I feel sooo depressed... Now I can see how low the IB level is in my school. Most of us are praying to get at least a 4 in math SL!!!!! We are really counting on "easy" subjects like Spanish, English, History to pass IB. I will be ever sooo happy if I could just get above a 24! Of course I will be happy with a good IB grade, but I know that at the end, the IB diploma is good for nothing in Mexico.

Oh god, now I feel sooo depressed... Now I can see how low the IB level is in my school. Most of us are praying to get at least a 4 in math SL!!!!! We are really counting on "easy" subjects like Spanish, English, History to pass IB. I will be ever sooo happy if I could just get above a 24! Of course I will be happy with a good IB grade, but I know that at the end, the IB diploma is good for nothing in Mexico.

Yeah...... we´re all like this on my school too, hoping to get that 24...

But you said: Ya, last year NO ONE Got a 45 at our school I dont understand why you say 3 people got 45? Last year at our school the top was 42 [shared by 4 people.

So that's why I assumed no one got a 45... lol... I didn't know last years results sorry.

EDIT: Only four Kristin students have achieved the top mark in the 18 years the school has offered the two-year diploma, said assistant principal Debbie Dwyer. right...that's pretty good.

Edited by Forester

Is there a trend in schools offering the diploma for the first time for the first batch of students to score lower than in further years where the IB is already an established program at the school? I'm a bit worried about this, as i'm in the first batch of IB students at my school, but the IBC has been preparing for the IB for 3 years and the teachers have been quite extensively trained. I'm just wondering if inexperience with teachers can lead to lower marks, or more enthusiastic teaching and consistent marks.

Is there a trend in schools offering the diploma for the first time for the first batch of students to score lower than in further years where the IB is already an established program at the school? I'm a bit worried about this, as i'm in the first batch of IB students at my school, but the IBC has been preparing for the IB for 3 years and the teachers have been quite extensively trained. I'm just wondering if inexperience with teachers can lead to lower marks, or more enthusiastic teaching and consistent marks.

To be blunt, yes there is such a trend. No IB training will teach you how to mark IAs, optimize class time etc. However, that doesn't mean that your school won't do well, you might just well be an exception. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, so at our school they told us that even the best students shouldn't expect to get above a 39, because it's very rare and almost impossible, but when I was reading the "University Offers 2009", I keep seeing that people are predicted 40 and above. :)

I am an IB 1 student, so I still have time to worry about my own predicted grades, but at my school they said that last year only 1 person got a 7 in Psych HL, nobody got a 7 in English HL, and that the class with more 7s was SL Biology, and I think that they had 4 students getting a 7. :)

Is my school's preparation level really low or are all those people just smart?

I'm really curious because my school is considered one of the best in the United Arab Emirates!

[EDIT: I added an "almost" to impossible]

In our school, nobody ever had a 7 in Physics, English A1 and Visual Art (no matter SL or HL), so it probably wouldn't only be your school.

And as I have already mentioned in other posts, nobody of our school cracked the 40 barrier yet, us being the 4th generation.

Perhaps someone from the 3rd generation this year will. :unsure:

So far, I have a predicted grade of 40 (plus 6 from the seventh subject) without any predicted grades in EE and TOK, but I don't know whether I will stay at this level.

And I wouldn't say that your school's preparation level is really low, so cheer up.

Plus, our teachers have the tendency to downgrade. (They even openly tells us. Apparently, "IBO does not look favourly upon somebody who has too high grades and thus grades harsher" - which I personally do not 100%ly believe...) Possibly, yours do that as well.

And to add something here, on the first day of IB in my school, the IB coordinator let us count ourselves, from one to five.

After that, he said "everyone who has the number five will fail the 11th grade."

And then we had to repeat it without the ones who had five before.

And now, he was like "congratulations, you have managed to pass 11th grade, but you have failed to receive your diploma."

This was the statistics of how many students passed IB previous years in our school.

Hmm.... not very cheery, isn't it?

Seemed like the teachers in my school weren't very encouraging in the beginning, but they turned out to be really great, since we have started IB.

Edited by hermine0817

This is scaring me, I'm actually aiming for a 38. But you guys and girls said the world average is only 29...or 30. I'm not smart but i do work hard when i feel like it. This is depressing T_____T Wait let me calculate my predicted mark:

HL Math ;5

HL Chem ;6

HL Physic ;6

SL Psych ;7

SL Mandarin ;7

SL English ; 5

Total: 36 + 3 points (for TOk, EE and CAS or something)

Final Total: 39.

Is this possible? How hard will i have to work?

Math and Physics are supposed to be really hard. I would say to just do your best, because I can't really say "oh, you will have to work for 4.3 hours every day except for Wednesdays and I'm sure you'll get the grades you want :P "

Try to practice with past IB papers if you can get to them, so that you know how you would've done, and then focus on getting better at what you don't know. Other than that, there really isn't a formula to get the grades you want(at least in my opinion).

This is scaring me, I'm actually aiming for a 38. But you guys and girls said the world average is only 29...or 30. I'm not smart but i do work hard when i feel like it. This is depressing T_____T Wait let me calculate my predicted mark:

HL Math ;5

HL Chem ;6

HL Physic ;6

SL Psych ;7

SL Mandarin ;7

SL English ; 5

Total: 36 + 3 points (for TOk, EE and CAS or something)

Final Total: 39.

Is this possible? How hard will i have to work?

I think you should work on those 5s - bring them up to 6s. The simple fact that you took HL Math, Chem, and Phys makes you well above world average so don't worry about the average! Aim for 6s in courses you're not so strong at, 7s in subjects you're good at/like/willing to work hard for. That's at least 36+2/3 if you get 6s in everything, hopefully even more. :P