Everybody's predicted 40+?

Chesire_Cat

However, DIA is still a full IB school (PYP, MYP, and DP) with a student:computer ratio of 3:1, unlike the other schools.

No offense to anyone =P

PS: My school is probably the worst there is in the world (when it comes to IB), not only in the UAE =P.

Mine is Dubai American Academy, and I think it would have been so much better if we had MYP, but I didn't go to DIA the problem is that they started their IB Diploma program in March 2007, so I would have been in the first class to take the IB exams there ever, and I didn't want to risk it.

• 3 weeks later...
You guys would think I am joking, but at least 30% of my class are getting 40+ predicted. This is also a big generalization, but my school is 95% Asian, so that might have something to do with it.

It's not a generalisation. I'm happy I never ended up going there.

Forester: our percentage of 40+ is higher than yours, yet we're only 1/26 Asian. Maybe it has nothing to do with race? :)

Your school is selective, if I'm not mistaken. Forester's school consists of a majority of international students, and is non selective. I think that says something. Not taking sides here, but Asian students (and perhaps Indian students as well) tend to outperform their counterparts.

Forester: our percentage of 40+ is higher than yours, yet we're only 1/26 Asian. Maybe it has nothing to do with race? :)

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you go to selective IB schools?

I'm in an international school. Which means we take whoever is willing to pay 15,000 dollar school fees. Nothing to do with previous grades, entrance exams or anything. Which is probably why we have one student getting expelled each year (or as the school puts it, "invited to leave").

I think our predicted average this year is maybe a 32 or something. Which is higher than in previous years. The school "discouraged" certain students that they thought would fail IB from doing it.

God my school sounds dictatorial.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you go to selective IB schools?

I'm in an international school. Which means we take whoever is willing to pay 15,000 dollar school fees. Nothing to do with previous grades, entrance exams or anything. Which is probably why we have one student getting expelled each year (or as the school puts it, "invited to leave").

I think our predicted average this year is maybe a 32 or something. Which is higher than in previous years. The school "discouraged" certain students that they thought would fail IB from doing it.

God my school sounds dictatorial.

My school sounds exactly like that, and that's the quintessential non selective international school.

Same! Our school encourages people who are failing to repeat, or to get the hell out :P

It's rather stupid how anyone who can pay can get in. While those who are seriously bright only come because our school offers tuition scholarships.

Edited by Forester

My school has financial aid, but it's ridiculous because I know people that are on financial aid (which just means they pay less tuition fees, no scholarship or anything) and these kids still get $300 randomly from their parents to buy clothes. So if their parents can afford to give out that kind of money, why can't they pay school fees? It's different for some people that obviously need it, since their parents work in the country as volunteers and get literally no pay.

And the school almost ran itself into the ground because apparently the ex-deputy was using student finances on trips to book herself the best hotel rooms while the students stayed in shabby accommodation. Talk about corruption.

Now it's hard to get money for anything (class budgets, school trips, etc.), yet the school always pays for the director to go on really long trips abroad to "secure funding". They should just accept that our school isn't going to get any bigger. Maybe if they dropped the "Anglican" from the name, we would have more people because the Jews are convinced we convert people to Christianity in my school.

In my college, we are not allowed to know our predicted grade. So, I do not know what is my predicted grade. But I don't think it is above 40. :P

But in our college, all of us were required to get at least get 36 point as it is the point set by our sponsor. If we get less than this, we will not be able to continue study at oversea.

So, everyone aim for 36 or higher.

lol yea I am an editor for the yearbook and that gets censored.

And all the departments in our school gets a non-existent budget to spend it on lab equipment, textbooks, resources.

Also, they gently persuade people to apply to more universities than they need to ie. 15

Edited by Forester

YAYA:), ya my school is the one with a less academically focused called kristin, we are really the only two in auckland that fully offer IB. Ya my tutor says only 11 non asian people go there.

Wow lol I've actually applied for that school in 2004! Went for the interview, basically screwed it up and ended up not going there. I wouldn't call Kristin less academically focused, though...I know that some students from that school got 45/45 in their IB.

As for my school in Sydney, I don't know what the predicted grades were for the year above mine. I know that a girl above my year got to the interview stage with Oxford with her predicted grades, and another girl before that year so I'm guessing they must've been pretty high. But I'm sure that not a fantastically many number of them would've got 40+ for their predicted grades because this is only the 5th year or so that my school started offering IB.

Think for my year there'd be a lot of us getting 40+ though......

And being an Asian student myself :P I think the only reason most Asians perform well is because they're oversea students - they're causing their parents to make a huge sacrifice for their education. Some people tend to think that the international students' parents would be rich as heck; not true. And in general, for mine and some of my friends' cases at least, we tend to think that we'd better be good at what we're doing here if our parents are there breaking their backs working in our country just so they can pay for our school fee over here.

Another would be that at least in Korea, we learn what you'd learn in Australia, NZ, US or anywhere else about a year or two ahead than you would. I ended up skipping a year because of that reason when I was in NZ.

Edited by Hughie

its not easy to get a 40+ score. there are a lot of people who get. it depends on the subjects one takes. Math Hl, Phy Hl and BNM Hl are hard to score. whereas ITGS HL, Art HL are relatively easy to score it also depends on the kind of teachers you have and amount of effort you put in. it is possible to get 40+ score. start working as early as posible, dont waste any time. last minute work usually does not pay off

its not easy to get a 40+ score. there are a lot of people who get. it depends on the subjects one takes. Math Hl, Phy Hl and BNM Hl are hard to score. whereas ITGS HL, Art HL are relatively easy to score it also depends on the kind of teachers you have and amount of effort you put in. it is possible to get 40+ score. start working as early as posible, dont waste any time. last minute work usually does not pay off

Wrong. Statistics tells us that it isn't so. Take the May 2008 Examination session as an example of this

In Math HL, the following percentage of candidates gained the following grade: 7: 8% 6: 18% (Cumulative 6&7 = 26%)

In Physics HL: 7: 8% 6: 18% (Cumulative 6&7 = 26%)

In Business and Management HL: 7: 2% 6: 13% (Cumulative 6&7 = 15%)

Compared to

ITGS HL: 7: 1% 6: 9% (Cumulative 6&7 = 10%)

Visual Arts HL: 7: 10% 6: 16% (Cumulative 6&7 = 26%)

I think this pretty much proves that it isn't true. So, actually, your logic works exactly in the opposite way. The harder your subject (Math & Physics are considered hard), the easier it is to score a 7. B&M isn't considered a hard subject (at least by universities) and this would explain why it is hard to score in it. Visual Arts IS considered a hard subject by everyone who knows what the course entails, therefore the high cumulative score of 6's and 7's.