How many people in your classes?

Abu

• 2 weeks later...

dang, you guys are lucky with such small classes.

At my school you take all classes at HL level (except for math, which is SL in my case) and we have some classes reaching 30 kids.

During IB2 you get to choose which 3 (or 4) you want to test HL in

our class sizes vary a lot but they are much higher than what i've seen posted. My smallest class is about 22-24 people and my largest is 32-34. The reason we don't have small classes is that our principal doesn't allow it. If we don't have enough people the class is cancelled as he feels that the teacher will be more useful teaching academic classes which are very large as it is. For example, we currently have 15 students wanting to take Standard Level Physics but the principal has cancelled the class as he does not feel that this class is big enough to have one.

history HL: 3

math Studies: 8

math SL : 4

french HL : 1 (me ^_^ )

french SL: 3

serbian SL: 5

serbian HL: 4

english a1: 4

english HL: 8

business and management HL:11

business and management SL:1

economics HL: 3

biology SL: 10

biology HL : 2

chemistry HL: 2

geography: 1

german: 2

tok: 12

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... I didn't realize before how big my school's IB program is in comparison =X

We have 61 IB2's

Everyone takes English A1 and Euro History at HL, so 61 total taking that class. Actual class sizes are roughly 20 to 30 students.

French B SL - 18

Math HL - 28-ish

Bio HL - 35

TOK - 61

And I'm not really sure about the others - it's hard to figure out at our school too since with a lot of SL classes like Chem or Psych they mix the IB1 and IB2's together.

^ Part of it, I think, is that we're a public school and, at this point in time, the only school in the district that has the IB Program. The free, quality education deal is probably a big factor in the size of our program. Our Pre-IB program is 120-140 kids per grade level, but it typically drops to 65-ish by the time the class starts IB1.

But of the 60-odd kids who do end up sticking through with the program, I'd say majority are kids who do it because they want to, because they really do see the value of the program. There are a select few who are being forced to stick through with the program by parents because they're the kind who would probably fall through the cracks otherwise.

We also have a significant number of kids who just take IB classes but aren't diploma candidates because they didn't want the full IB workload but liked the classes IB offers. TOK, Philosophy, Chemistry, and French are especially full of those sort of kids.

Edited by BBiswatching

^ Gotcha.

Do you have a huge student body population?

My school is also a public school with 1100 students, however not many people choose to do it.

My graduating class is the biggest class to go through with about 30 students.

However, we have to pay about $2000 to be in the program.

Guest Crammarc

ya my school is public too. its hella complicated. 3000 students at my school. we are practically a town. there are 250 students in my IB year alone with over 600 students in IB in total. my scool is pretty big. all my classes have atleast 20 to 25 people in them

Edited by Crammarc

Yeah, our school has a population of about 2300 total, roughly 360 IB. The student body population used to be even bigger, but they opened up a new high school a few blocks away two years ago. (Our school was positively overflowing...). We have 61 IB2s and a senior class of about 560.

We don't have to pay for the program either, only costs are for exams which are $700-800 for us. Pretty sure school board pays for us too =D

Crammarc - holy, 250 IB2's? That's...wow.

I'm pretty sure we're the only school to have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to be in IB.

I'm going to have to question what they do with that money.

My IBC told me that it was around like 120 dollars per course per student for diploma students.. or something rediculous like that. No, you're not the only school -- according to my IBC many schools have to pay huge sums of money just to be in the program.

Since the schoolboard pays for our IB program, we need to pay a 100+ dollar fee only if we were to drop out of a course or swtich from SL to HL or vise versa.

My IBC told me that it was around like 120 dollars per course per student for diploma students.. or something rediculous like that. No, you're not the only school -- according to my IBC many schools have to pay huge sums of money just to be in the program.

Since the schoolboard pays for our IB program, we need to pay a 100+ dollar fee only if we were to drop out of a course or swtich from SL to HL or vise versa.

Yeah, my IBC told us that in some schools around the world, it can cost as much as 10,000 to do the IB Program o_o

You even have a penalty for dropping or switching courses? Dang. And the IB droppouts here complain about having to fill out the "I Want to Drop IB because..." form. :D

Okay, this is completely not fair.... we pay 3k for 2 years, have over 70 people in IB2, and we still have very limited courses o.O We aren't allowed to have a class with less then 20 something people, and had to fight our way through the school board for a good 2 years just to get a physics SL course opened....

Math SL: everyone

Language HL: everyone

French SL: everyone

Chem HL: around 50

Chem SL: around 20

Bio HL: around 20

Bio SL: around 20

Physics SL: 7 =D

Econ HL: around 30

History HL: around 60 (of which half wanted Econ, but weren't given it)

I blame our coordinator for htis <.<