Extended Essay

Survival Robot

I'm having a bit of trouble with my extended essay. I'm now pretty sure i want to do bio or any sciences. and i was thinking of doing something along the lines of comparing abiotic factors of a lake/ river( salinity, ph, etc.) and hopefully conclude that there is a difference in in these factors due to there geographic location. Is this to broad?? i was also thinking of using a river that expands through 1278km, do you think this could also work on a smaller lake, just so it is easier to rest both ends? PLEASE HELP. I really would like to finish my lab work this summer.

another idea would be discussing the dynamic equilibrium of organisms and their ecosystems. here id choose a specific organism in its aquatic life and still test the biotic/abIOtic factors. 

or perhaps i could combine the two and discuss dynamic equilibrium in different geographic locations and it could be the same organism or different?? 

HELP PLEASE

Hi!

(This is my first post so if I mess up or do something wrong please say, I won't be doing it because I want to disrupt the discussion or because I like being rude so I welcome any advice/correction!!)

I'm doing my EE in Physics, and the Research Problem I'm going to investigate is: which sort of light bulb or any other source of artificial light best imitates the light spectrum of the sun and so, which is the one that would be best when trying to grow plants inside a house. Basically I'm going to build a home-made spectroscope and analyze and compare the light spectrums of different sources of artificial light and see which one is more similar to the Sun's.

I'm stuck at formulating the Research Question but what really troubles me is that (having read several discussions on the ee topic) my research problem might be too simple or too narrow, not enough of an investigation topic.

I know it's quite impossible to get good marks in a Physics EE but I don't want to fail and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot by choosing a bad Research Problem...

So, what do you think? Any kind of feedback will be welcomed!!

Hi guys, so im just heading into my second year of ib and I want to start writing my extended essay my topic is "to what extent was Germany the cause of world war 1 and 2" and im not sure what to focus on.

Thank you if anyone can help!!

If you wanna do it on how Germany was the cause of both WW1 and WW2, perhaps choose one factor (i.e. german nationalism) and compare how it was at least partially responsible for causing the respective wars. 

If you are worried that might be a bit narrow, maybe look at political/social/economical issues of Germany in the two time periods and compare their importance to causing WW1 and WW2. 

Hi! I'm still choosing my topic. I'm doing it on Physics.  These are my three final topics but could you help me choose them, thanks! :D If you have any other suggestions, that would be great too! 

How does the temperature affect the magnet's strength? 

How does the color affect heating of water?

How does the temperature affect the lift decay of a helium balloon? 

Hello,

I am currently doing my extended essay on physics and no longer have contact with my supervisor. My idea was to write something about stunt jumps using a remote control car and then analysing the projectile motion of the car as it jumped over a ramp. I was thinking of changing the angle to achieve maximum range. 

However this doesn't seem very complex and this idea will probably not yield a good EE. I have light gates and a data logger and ramps. 

Does anyone have any ideas of other experiments I could do with a remote control car and ramps?

Hi

I'm practically new here and I hope I'm not bothering anyone w/ my concerns. So the IB subject for my EE is English B SL.

As for my RQ, I'm going for the 2B category, focusing on American TV sitcoms Modern Family and The Middle and how well these portray family culture in America.

Now, my problem: Is it narrow enough? Because I really don't think so. Any opinions on how I could make it narrower?

Also, I've been thinking about comparing both TV series and... determine which one portrays American families the best (can I do that?  :hmmm:)

Please help me and be kind with me. I've changed my topic too many times for my liking and I'm starting to panic over the thought that I won't do well in my EE :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Firstly, read the EE syllabus so you know what is required of you and because it'll give you an idea of which subjects appeal more to you, to write an EE in (see each subject's example research questions).

On your subjects - Maths and Physics EEs are extremely difficult unless you have a strong passion for them, and seeing that you do Studies and SL, it does not appear that you do. Hence, probably not in either of those 2 subjects. A language B EE would also be pretty difficult - again, I wouldn't advise this unless you are pretty competent with German and have a sincere interest for it. Disregarding History, that leaves English and Economics, both of which are doable for EEs, so either of those could work for you. However, even though you said the good supervisor for history is already taken, I don't think that should just completely eliminate you considering a History EE. Ultimately, you should be writing an EE in a subject you enjoy and on a topic you're interested in learning more about - you're gonna be spending hours on it. So.. think about what subject is your favourite, maybe even which subject/s you're doing well in, if there's anything in a particular subject you'd like to explore more.. thinking about the supervisor you'll have is probably a relevant consideration, but not a very important consideration in comparison to what you'll enjoy writing.

You still have ages to think about your EE before you need to start writing it, so take the time to explore possible topics within subjects and think about what you'd enjoy investigating about.

• Like 1

Hi, i want to do an EE on Economics. 

Im thinking of doing one on this topic, what do you guys think? 

what domestic components have added to the rapid depreciation of IDR in terms of USD? 

My main concerns are: 

these are taken from the guide: 

"Restricting the scope of the essay will help to ensure a clear focus" Is this RQ narrow enough and focus enough base on the IB guidelines?

"Students should ensure that their research question can be answered using economic concepts and theories, and that the question does not lean too heavily towards business and management." Can this be achieved? do you think that there is enough relevant theories to answer this?

The topic chosen should provide opportunities for some critical analysis of the data collected. Topics that depend entirely on summarizing general secondary data should be avoided, as they are likely to lead to an essay that is essentially narrative or descriptive in nature. Does this RQ provide enough opportunity for analysis instead of just summarising general secondary data? if yes, what kind of analysis do you think is suitable for this RQ? 

I'm thinking of analysing the factors that affect exchange rates and that apply the theory to the real life situation --> depreciation of rupiah?

Please Help......

So guys I just started IB and I have no idea about what to write what so ever. I take Eng A Lit&Lang German B Math Studies History HL Econ SL and Physics SL. Not doing my EE on History cuz the only good supervisor for history is already taken any ideas?

If you aren't going to write your EE on History then I suggest you to write on Economics instead. There is a common opinion that it's relatively easy to write a good EE for a group 3 subject because it requires mostly reading (For Math EE you have to be really good at math for languages EEs you have to be fluent in a foreign language... this isn't an issue if you are writing your EE on group 3). However, keep in mind that choosing a topic that interests you is much more important than doing EE on the "right" subject. So try to think what you might actually enjoy writing about. What's your favourite subject? Do you have any hobbies?

Good luck with choosing an interesting topic for your EE!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I have been putting off the act of starting my Computer Science EE due to the difficulty of finding a topic of appropriate complexity, for example, at first I wanted to make the EE about SLAM using ultrasonic distance sensors, however, that is much too complicated as I have experience with SLAM yet and because the imprecise nature of these sensors would require quite a lot of optimization.

Nonetheless, I thought decided that I could make my EE involving sensors anyway, albeit in a different manner. The title of my EE could be something along the lines of "A comparison between various distance sensors for robotic purposes". My idea is to compare the accuracy, difficulty of implementation and price/performance of IR, ultrasonic and laser distance sensors. If it would make a positive difference, I could write about these points in relation to the Arduino platform.

Would this be a good topic to pursue for the EE or should I look for something else?

Edited by amazonesgludeklis

Hi guys, so im just heading into my second year of ib and I want to start writing my extended essay my topic is "to what extent was Germany the cause of world war 1 and 2" and im not sure what to focus on.

Thank you if anyone can help!!

Hello! So this is a very late answer, sorry about that! You're topic is rather unoriginal, much like an essay you'd write in class (In fact, I think I have written one!). It's important that an EE is original, or you'll lose marks on the "holistic approach" section. 

• Like 1

I need help with my EE on English B. It's about cultural references in the developing theme of coming of age in Scott Pilgrim, but I'm not sure how to start.

I already have an outline and a sort of plan but I still haven't got a clear counter argument.

Please help, I'm a bit lost :(

I need help with my EE on English B. It's about cultural references in the developing theme of coming of age in Scott Pilgrim, but I'm not sure how to start.

I already have an outline and a sort of plan but I still haven't got a clear counter argument.

Please help, I'm a bit lost :(

What is your research question? ^_^ I haven't read the book, but I would recommend you to start writing, and it might come to you. That usually happens to me - I brainstorm ideas for way too long, can't think of anything good, but when I've written a first draft the ideas suddenly start coming. 

• Like 1

My essay is in Human Rights. The question is: "To what extent is prostitution a violation of human rights?" I turned in my second draft an hour ago :) It's not where I want it to be yet, but at least it's more of a start. 

You get a second draft? Lucky you, we only get first and final :P