English A Lit HL/SL Paper 2

Chris Schmitz

How did everyone feel?

I LOVED it. I answered the question in TZ2 on light and sound in drama, on Williams' 'Streetcar' and Fugard's 'Master Harold', and it was a gift from god. I got to use all the knowledge about themes I had, along with that on scenic metaphor and dramatic techniques and styles in the two plays. The essay practically wrote itself, and it helped that I drafted an essay plan for virtually the same question last week!

I feel a lot better about English after what I thought was a shaky Paper 1 now.

For everyone reading this in later years but without access to our exam papers, the questions in the Drama section (for both HL and SL) were roughly 'discuss the importance of minor characters', 'discuss the use of characters breaking the fourth wall', and 'discuss the use of light and sound'.

Oh yes, paper 2 was amazing. I did the same question as you with "Royal hunt of the Sun" by Shaffer and "Death of a Salesman" by Miller. I probably didn't score top scores on that paper, but I feel like it was literally the best I can do. The questions this year were so nice compared to others i've seen in the past. It's nice to end positively with a subject, especially since Paper 1 was iffy for me...

Guest Marioti

My class got the best question we could hope for as we had all prepared well for it

I did the'importance of journey in the novels' on prose: novel and short stories

I'm glad more people did well on paper 2! I was a bit scared for this one

I thought the light and sound question was amazing too. I reread it several times to make sure it was what I thought it was. I used A Streetcar Named Desire and Death of a Salesman.

Same here, had almsot too much to write lol

Did anyone realize that the IBsurvival revision guide has a question extremely similar to q3 of the drama questions in paper 2 TZ1?

I chose q2, but I struggled to resist the temptation of doing q3, it's just that I've just discussed something related to 2 that morning with my teacher, which made up my mind. (plus there's more things to talk about)

Edited by ssy

My class also had the journey question for paper two and it was a rather interesting topic. I used the novels Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Remains of the Day to compare each characters respective and differing journeys and what they represent as far as organizational structure is concerned.

I actually ended up doing the minor characters question and I used the plays: Death of a Salesman (Miller) and A Streetcar Named Desire (Williams). Wasn't the best, but it went better than i had anticipated! :)

Hey!!

TZ1, did the Prose: novel and short story, question number 9, about sympathy.. Used "Jane Eyre" and "The Bride Price". I think it was the best paper 2 I ever done, so really happy with it!! The whole paper though was straight-forward enough, better than expected :)

Paper 2 was really nice indeed. I did question 6, the one with strength and weakness and I used "Pygmalion" by Shaw and "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Williams. I had already done a similar exam question in class and scored 1 mark below a 7 DX But I hope I did better in the exam now :)

TZ2, SL here, I did The role of minor characters in All My Sons (Miller) and A Streetcar (Williams). Oh my god, dream question, we had literally done this in class before and I had so much to say! Honestly, all of my exams are going really, really well so far, the exam pressure has really been played up, but I think English papers 1 and 2 ended really well :D

Paper 2 TZ2 Question 8 or something From Prose: Fiction and other Short Stories. - About how events drive characterization. Huck Finn and Things Fall Apart. It was a pleasant surprise when I first say the question!

Don't think I did as well as paper 1 unseen. Answer the presentation and importance of minor characters in A Streetcar Named Desire and The Importance of Being Earnest. Was going to talking about light and sound but could only talk about it in A Streetcar Named Desire and none of the other texts I studied.

I actually really loved the question - my class all said we were in awe when we saw question 3 as it was what we had done for our mock.

I ended up doing the light and sound question with Streetcar (Williams) and Black Comedy (Shaffer). Couldn't have asked for a better question really.