History November 2013 Paper 1 & 2

rockpapertash

Sooooo what did everyone think? I almost died with happiness when I saw paper 1, as all I had studied in depth was Manchuria. Although I thought the OPVL on the cartoon was a bit odd, but I used a cartoon for my source analysis in my IA so I was glad I had an idea of how to go about it.

Also the Paper 2 questions rocked! So lovely and clear and straightforward.

Paper 1 was oritee, didn't have time to finish the last question though. I found the OPVL on the cartoon odd as well :/

Paper 2 was pretty straightforward, but I stuffed up my first essay on topic 1- the one about alliances. I went in to a bit too much detail

and had to cram in some of the facts.

For topic 5 I choose the question about the causes of the Cold War, I think I went pretty well ! :)

Now paper 3 :S don't know about that.

Which questions did you pick ?

I can't remember which topic it was but I did the one about how hitler attempted to establish a totalitarian state after coming to power. I felt like I had too much information I wanted to put in but I managed to restrain myself and I think I did pretty well!

I did the causes of the Cold War too! The one about the exaggerated claim? Loved arguing against it, but I think my details were a bit vague because I didn't study it as in depth as I would have liked...

Super nervous about paper 3, I'm just hoping for questions as good as paper 2 :/

I nearly cried of joy when I saw the paper 2 questions, i also did the causes of the cold war question and how did Hitler establish a totalitarian state. My first essay was a bit too long i think and as a result my second one was a bit short, but other than that I was pretty happy. I can't wait for paper 3 to be over so I can clear my mind of a ridiculous amount of memorised stats and quotes

I nearly cried of joy when I saw the paper 2 questions, i also did the causes of the cold war question and how did Hitler establish a totalitarian state. My first essay was a bit too long i think and as a result my second one was a bit short, but other than that I was pretty happy. I can't wait for paper 3 to be over so I can clear my mind of a ridiculous amount of memorised stats and quotes

ahah same here, I just wasn't able to restrict myself on the 1st essay and drifted a bit off topic :/

Hopefully it'll be okay though :)

Goodluck for paper 3 :)

Overall, both papers were awesome! I skipped out of the exam hall after each paper :)

Paper 1 was brilliant even though Manchuria was literally the only thing I hadn't revised (that's how exams always work though, right?). Thought Q2 was super easy in comparison to all the past papers I've ever done, Q3 on the cartoon was weird but straightforward, and Q4 was annoying with the time scope of the question (1931-33).

As for paper 2, I did the aggressive expansionism question for topic 1 (the only question from topic 1 that I could answer well...) and nature, extent and treatment of opposition in Hitler's Germany for topic 3. AND I DO SL SO I'M FINISHED HISTORY NOW :clap: But for all the HL kids, best of luck for paper 3! You've got this!

Just wondering, for paper 1 Q4, what was your time scopes? I did the significance of the crisis between 1931-33, but other classmates interpreted as simply the crisis was in 1931-33, and did more long term significance... our history teacher though that it was long term too so I'm a bit worried :/

Just wondering, for paper 1 Q4, what was your time scopes? I did the significance of the crisis between 1931-33, but other classmates interpreted as simply the crisis was in 1931-33, and did more long term significance... our history teacher though that it was long term too so I'm a bit worried :/

It said "analyse the significance of the crisis between 1931 and 1933" so I did what you did because it made sense... most of my classmates interpreted it the same way as you and me and I don't see why they'd penalise us for doing so. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

I thought that the questions were great! I have studied Mao's China and my class's HL option was China during that period so I know it really well!

As for paper 2, I did the question on totalitarianism of Stalin and the question on the origins of the Cold War. I had particularly studied Stalin's policies and stats so I was really happy that a question came up that allowed me to talk about those. I thought that they were really straightforward and great to write responses on, especially given that I did my IA on the origins of the cold war so I was happy that the questions were really good!

I was really happy that Paper 1 was on Manchuria though I found Source D slightly redundant (it pretty much said that the report was in Lord Lytton's name if I recall properly).

I actually became unwell 2 weeks ago so I didn't really study that much and all my IB exams have been crammed into 10 days. So I did the origins of ww1 (the alliance question) but I spent too much time on that one and so my Weimar Germany essay suffered.

Paper 1 for our school was Communism in Crisis in Czechoslovakia and was super easy.

Questions for paper 2 were so good! I also did the Hitler establishing a totalitarian state and the exaggerated claim about the origins of the Cold War.

Very happy with this paper :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...