How do you handle all these ib stress?

Lan

I started IB2 a month ago and I don't understand why everyone says it's so stressful. It feels like I haven't had any serious homework in ages and I just find myself looking over some SAT- and university-related stuff each afternoon. My EE is more or less finished and we're at least 3/4s done with the syllabus in all my courses.

There have been a few changes since IB1 though :P I stopped bringing folders with handouts that we never look at again to school, making my bag much lighter. I started drinking coffee for no reason and I go to sleep much earlier than in IB1.

No reason to be stressed, as you can see :P

Edited by Max

Well, I actually make a point of going out on the weekends atleast once. And I'm a big fan of movies, so a movie usually takes my mind off of the IB, then I plough back into work.

I used to be all stressy with the IB at the beginning (when I started my assignments in summer) but now it's fine. I usually organize my time and what to do on this and so on. Weekends I usually work during the morning as oppose to during the night. i make it a habit NEVER to work during the night, such a drain, such a stressful time of the day, honestly.

I didnt bother to read every post so sorry if this is a duplicated message..

there was a study done in Florida on students in high school regarding stress. I think after some time, the study was narrowed down to IB students and traditional students. One of the things the study found was that the IB students had mechanisms to control stress. Some students reported taking a long shower, venting to a friend, throwing books, sipping on tea, eating, planning, doing sports, etc. Then the study tried to make a correlation between individual behaviors, condemning things like throwing books to relief stress. The last part I disagree with because its still a stress reliever. The overall conclusion is that Ib students handle stress better, despite the fact that they have more of it. Very interesting..

Planning is the number one key. It is the reason why i haven't missed a single assignment since IB started. I am in my third year now. Also, using my weekends helps relief my upcoming weekend. Whenever I go into a week with a clean agenda for upcoming assignments, things tend to go perfect. all 100's. Much easiertro cope with homework and other stuff when i have a clean agenda for the day, so whatever comes my way i just do and move on.

Also sleeping too much adds on to the stress. I hate sleep. And I refuse to sleep. I mostly fall asleep sometimes from the lack of it. That might be the only thing putting me to bed, my inability to control my sleepiness at all times. also sleeping to much disrupts my work habit. So 3-5 hours a night is what I need to function well.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't worry' date=' guys, it gets more stressful at uni.[/quote']

It depends on the course. Our family friends started uni and said how it was so much less stressful. I've never spoken to anyone who said Uni was more stressful. But i wont disagree because some people may feel the pressure more then.

Also sleeping too much adds on to the stress. I hate sleep. And I refuse to sleep. I mostly fall asleep sometimes from the lack of it. That might be the only thing putting me to bed' date=' my inability to control my sleepiness at all times. also sleeping to much disrupts my work habit. So 3-5 hours a night is what I need to function well.[/quote']

Haha, I'm exactly the same. Lately i have been sleeping about 1~3 hours a night for a little while. And i've been doing pretty well at school regardless of the sleep deprivation side effects. But Last weekend, i slept for 12 hours, and i felt sick. And last night i slept for 6. I couldn't focus at school and was talking to everyone during class, having a good time. God, i seriously need to not sleep haha. Well IB's good for not sleeping eyy.

i swear to god, the best way to solve any stress:

go into room

lock door

activate stereo

make stereo loud

activate music of choice on stereo

proceed to headbang

repeat if necessary

repeat if necessary

repeat because necessary

deactivate stereo

patch eardrums

unlock door

hold on to doorpost due to dizziness

exit room

success

or just smoke a fat joint with a few friends and chillax^^

but in all honesty, headbanging is a major form of stress relief for me. after having properly banged your head is completely empty and you have a stupid doggie grin on your noggin, both conditions being conducive to the relief of stress. if you dont believe me, just try it. it works wonders.

on that note, rock on.

Edited by jakob//BIS

let me tell you my secret for getting rid of all that stress. I case i HATE IB and i mean it you just have to tell yourself "f*ck it!"

after that you can listen to some music (TECHNO/ELECTRO for me)

during listening to music start convincing yourself how harder it would be in uni and then you feel like starting writing your EE.

PS really guys manage your time. now i have to write 10 lab reports, TOK essay draft and an EE draft for one night...how cool is that and I am still surfing in the internet :D

Whoa there are more IB drama "fanatics". Half of my class is obsessed with Asian dramas :)

Anyhow, to cope with the stress, I do something I like --> Dance. At least once a week, so I get my CAS too :)

Jogging just gets me even more stressed because I think about the things I need to do which I'm not doing at the moment. So yea, turns me into a psycho. By dancing, I just concentrate on the music ^^

So basically, do something you like.

I sing happy or fast-paced songs while "dancing" to the beat and instrumentals. :) Of course, without being seen. It releases a lot of negative energy. =D

Right now I'm looking into continuing a sport. I used to do wushu, but sadly it's a tad difficult to find a good place (that's near enough) in my country. :)

Other than that, I like to go for walks, do mindless things (e.g., staring at clouds X3), and as humingyay said, "do something like". :)

Upon stress, I'll perform the following ritual:

1/3 espresso dopio made with 92*C water, 9 bars of pressure, and illy caffè macinato

1/3 frothed milk at 40-50*C with extra milk protein for better frothing properties

1/3 steamed milk, as above, with the steam handle of the espresso machine

=1 cappuccino, the lifeblood of my IB studies. hallelujah!

I have an agenda and I just fill in the calender with all the stuff i have to do each day, at first it seems overwhelming but usually the really heavy workloads come all at once then it sort of quiets down,,,so i just keep hilighting all the stuff i finish on my calender and work towards the day where there is nothing written down,,,,on that day i just sleep/watch tv/do anything that has nothing to do with ib,

its kind of weird but it actually works lol

the best way for me is just to go to sleep. but then this makes me more stressed out since sleeping reduces time to do my homework.

so i guess it is better to try not to sleep and to stay awake by listening to music or something.

Or i think it is better to have a schedule and then take a rest in a limited time. Then maybe we can handle this enormous ib stress..

I just either go for long periods like slacking off and then....I get a high off all the stress and I use that to motivate me to actuallly do my homework. Of course that only works sometimes. Most of the time though, I watch lots and lots of asian dramas to numb my brain and make me long for the lives they have in the dramas....until I get my next reality check. But something I have found tha works really well for me is to like finish one assignment, sleep a couple hours then start on the next....although doing so also heightens the likelyhood of procrastination. Personally though, my favorite method is taking it out on my parents, mean as it sounds, because they're forcing me to be and fulling and thus casuing me so much more stress...

Heh I slack off all night D: ... end up sleeping late.

I take it out through music.

I wrote some lyrics for a song that's based on stress. Stress and the feeling of doubt (A.K.A. IB :dash:)..its called Hopelessness and the Psycho D:

I also just play games (haven't done that for months now) or play an instrument.

Preferably guitar or violin, either one is effective. :P

My stress levels are insane this year It's my first year of IB.

I'm not used to having so much work. I also don't understand a lot of what we 'learn' the first time it's discussed in class, so my marks are suffering badly enough.

I like to get on Youtube and watch something funny when the lab reports start attacking me through the computer screen or whatever. I try to distract myself and then come back to the work refreshed.