How do you handle all these ib stress?

Lan

Guest The X
What stress? :(

Poor guy. Seems like Max has gone over the top...

:P

I'd usually gather with my friends and do something fun, or perhaps play a video game. Just a few times, I've gone for a walk. That gives me some room to think too, which is nice.

Hah! This is such a relevant question for all IB students!

I'm still trying to find an effective way to deal with the stress (I'm going to be a senior)! I think my problem is, though, that I'm a perfectionist and an uptight person....coupled with stress, that takes away from the actual process of learning. Learning and having a passion for learning is key! I'm struggling to find that passion again.

In the mean time, I try to divide my attention between school-related things and me time. I like drawing, writing, and listening to music. Setting up an activity at the end of the week (i.e. Friday Movie Nights) also helps me through the week. Talking to friends is always helpful, too.

Good luck with handling the stress. =)

heyhey,

yeah i dont handle stress well so im deffinaly feeling it!! i'd like to say whoever say's that they don't get stressed is a liar, but i actually know a few people like that!!! Man it's crazy. I think i t depends alot on what subjects you take. i stupidly shose biology, psychology and hisroty! Three of the highest content courses. So yeah VERY stressed out girl here.

When stres is really bad I tend to get really really worrid and have anxiety attacks. And the long term stress makes makes me not sleep well, losse heaps of weight, and i can;t eat)

I mainly try and handle it by trying to eat well, sleeping as much as i can, exercise lots, follow a routine, and make sure that i hang out with people that make me laugh.

when it gets really bad i have a good cry and eat chocolate and then blow my hw off for the nite and SLEEP!

I've tried talking to some teachers about it but they just give out the most generic advise possible, that you do anyway and doesnt help. I fin its just best to be ultra organised and have a day no and then where you blow everything off and just hang loose.

-take care

-soph x

I almost never get stressed, but I've just finished MYP so we'll see. :) The only time I can think of during my two years of MYP is for our History seminar, I was stuck with two partners that hated my guts, we were nowhere close to finishing but - I managed to survive. :) I usually try to get all my assignments out of the way first, so then I can concentrate on my extracurriculars such as cross-country/skiing, piano, volunteer, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished IB1 and i must say i didnt have stress! I don't have any trouble managing my time. I start my assignments (usually) very early so i get them done a few days before they are due. So i get the chance to ask my teacher again. I sleep about 7-8 hours a night and never had an all-nighter and i try to balance my school and social life. but sometimes this just doesn't work out! and when it doesnt then i get panic attacks :) but otherwise i'm fine so far. I hope I'll be fine next year too!

The best stress/anger/frustration release I have ever experienced was a little routine my ex and I did.

You will need: fruit that smashes easily, a large field (preferably abandoned), one large tree

We would go to this field next to a forest and smash melons, apples etc on the large tree. Then we'd run around yelling and screaming in the field until we ran out of breath. Last we would have sex in the field :P . I can promise you this is the best way to get all that negative energy out of your system and get in touch with our animal roots. It is incredibly rewarding both mentally and physically :) . I highly recommend this to you all.

My prescription: do this at least once per week :)

I seriously don't have any stress - I find IB easier than MYP, to be honest. Not only because there are syllabi that actually tell you almost exactly what to learn, but also because there are great sites on the internet (including IBS) that help reduce the workload by far. I also don't have trouble managing my time - I start big assignments like a day after I get them and finish them like a day or two before they are due. Always works. I've never pulled an all-nighter and keep a balance between school and social life :(

That said, I'm only in IB1 - this might change in IB2 :(

Jeez. I envy you...I think I do about 1 all nighter a week because im a huge procrastinator...

I think my problem is, though, that I'm a perfectionist and an uptight person....

Being a perfectionist myself, I know how you feel.

I'm pretty good at handling stress.... until the end of the year. With AP and IB exams, I was about to freak. I usually either take a reeeeeaaaaally long bath where I can forget about everything and do some aromatherapy. Or I play Frisbee with my dog while I listen to good music.

Watch Scrubs/Smallville/Friends :P

I love Scrubs. Best way to forget about the world.

Also, if you're into dry humor, watch The Daily Show and the Colbert Report from Comedy Central - those guys are the best.

I love Scrubs. Best way to forget about the world.

Also, if you're into dry humor, watch The Daily Show and the Colbert Report from Comedy Central - those guys are the best.

The thing I like least to do is be alone with my thoughts. That's why I don't go running etc, since then I'll just chastise myself over and over in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

yay!! a newbie like me, also stressed.

haha well, you couldn't possibly be more stressed than i am - with one week left for a whole EE to write on chemistry.

i suggest, you organise everything on a 'todo list' and then dedicate one whole day to accomplishing/finishing whats on it :read:

or, you can try to avoid it, which is never good if you don't work well under pressure/last minute.

what are you stressing out on? seeing that its under a history tab, history?

are you a going into your year1 of the diploma?

I believe there's a similar thread on this already but here is how I did it (these also work for anxiety):

Planned ahead so I could always afford to fall behind. For example when you get an assignment begin it immediately and slowly chip away at it.

Have everything well-structured and organized so you never waste time stressing when you're trying to work

Go out and party

Have lots of sex (whenever possible)

Meditate/Hypnosis http://www.free-hypnosisdownloads.com/

Spend time with your family

Go to amusement parks

Smash fruit on trees

Play video games

Go for a walk

Gaze at the stars

Play your sport of choice

I don't get stressed that much.

I'm not really sure why, but i guess i always have enough time to do everything i want to do.

I get nervous before a test but it's not anything to serious.

To relax i play games, go for a walk, read, or watch TV (I don't really watch all that much TV only watch a couple of shows regularly)